Improve latency

Hello I use midi guitar on iOS 12 with an iPad Air 2 and an iRig input through the headphone jack. It seems like the latency has worsened some lately, especially on lower notes, there is a noticeable delay between playing them and when the app plays them.

Can anyone give me some advice about improving this? I love the app and really want to use it.

When I use a different app like Ampkit there is no latency, so I guess it is the midi2guitar app itself?

Thanks

Pitch to midi causes more latency than an amp simulation: for a a note to be recognised it takes time. An amp sim can run without knowing anything about the notes being played.
the lowest notes have the longest wavelengths and are the slowest.

Well after a few days the latency is changed for the better. Do iPads do indexing or something like Macs do, that might be slowing it down at times?

on MidiGuitar2 for iPad you cannot directly change the buffer preference. However ( don’t understand why…) if you open first another app where you can change the buffer ( say, bring it down to 128 or even 64 ) and then you open MidiGuitar 2 , MG2 will change the buffer to whatever you have decided on the other app. It coil will be that to had been messing around with the buffer on other apps and set it higher without realizing that this would change the one of MG2. ( This is nowhere explained on the user manual )

True. We’ll add the option to change from within MG.
As for now, if you use MG as plugin it use the hosts buffersize.

But even if you use it as a self standing app. All you need to do is open another app first, set the buffer, do not close it, and only then open MG2 … That sets the buffer size… Then you can close the initial app and MG2 will keep the settings.

Yes. I understand. It wasn’t intentional but that’s how iOS works. We will add the selector in MG.

1 Like

Good !! Also, if you add the possibility of choosing the output MIDI Channel it wouldn’t hurt ( I understand it can be done when used as an AU plugin…but it gets more complicated when used as a standalone ). …One more thing, if you don’t want to add the MidiMachines to the iOS version because it adds too much code or whatever, would’nt it be possible if you provide the Midi Machines as additional plugins . They are great to use in the PC version so it is a pity we do not have them in the iOS…Just sayin"…CHeers