Iphone to hardware synth question

I’ve got the Orange Omec Teleport pedal connected to my iphone. I would like to find a way to connect my Waldorf Streichfett hardware synth to my pedal chain via Midi Guitar, but I’m not sure if its capable, so some feedback on if this would work would be helpful. This is what I am thinking:

Guitar>Omec pedal>iphone running midi guitar – with a wireless bluetooth dongle on the waldorf.

I haven’t bought the bluetooth dongle or upgraded midi guitar yet, since I’m not yet sure if this would work.

You should be able to connect both the OMEC and a USB->DIN MIDI interface to your iOS device via a USB hub – might need to be a powered hub. The USB->DIN MIDI would connect to your HW synth. I’ve used a Roland UM One mk2 for various iOS->HW/HW->iOS applications without issue. I think this would perform faster than a wireless/bluetooth MIDI transmitter.

1 Like

my personal experience with the bleutooth midi controllers: danger of connection loss, missing external power connection.
You allways need to check the batteries, and the batteries mostly go in from the bottom, so you can’t glue/screw the controller to a decent pedalboard without serious hacking…
Tempting as bleutooth may seem: it has no legit place on a stage. Probably the price point makes those devices sub par to decent footcontrollers like FCB1010, Pacer and Softstep.
Bleutooth may be used professionally technically speaking, but it then would most likely cost the same as what the decent footcontrollers cost now…

the only reason I suggested bluetooth midi was getting around the single port on an iphone…I wasnt sure if any relatively inexpensive hubs would work for transmitting data, but I will definitely look into it. I’ve currently got something like the Roland UM One that I can try, but again I guess I’ll need a good hub that can transmit data into two ports since the OMEC is going directly into the iphone. thanks!

you can connect an usb hub via the “camera” adapter, you can plug in mulitple devices.
as long as the connected deviced are usb2 or up, you’ll have bandwidth enough for both usb midi and usb audio.

If the OMEC must use the lightning tip try to find a Belkin Rockstar lightning adapter + a CCK. Then you can tap into the audio on one side and use the regular USB for MIDI via the CCK side.

thanks all…I’ve got an adapter on the way.

btw, anyone using the IOS version, do I need to get both upgrades? I know I’ll need to get the midi output upgrade for $20 to send midi to my hardware synth, but I don’t know if I also need the midi guitar rig for $10. The description on the app store isn’t very forthcoming about what all it provides. It mentions tracking and some effects that I don’t care about. I thought the app already had the tracking? idk.

-I’ve had the ‘MIDI Guitar Rig’ IAP for so long that I can’t remember life without it - I vaguely remember that it was released in tandem with the update to the desktop version and improved the tracking which was already pretty good – Anybody, please correct me if I’m wrong.
-As you already noted you’ll definitely need MIDI Output.
-If you’re running external synths you probably wont need the AudioUnit Hosting but it’s useful if you like playing iOS synths from inside the app.

the apple camera connection kit adapter does not work. the lightning port is only useable for charging the device…only the usb port can be used. So, I need to return that and find a different solution.

also, the midi guitar ios apps are tiered…you have to first buy the $10 one before you can even buy the $20. So, now that I’ve spent $30 on this app, I hope I can figure out a way to get it to work with my setup.

You connect an usb hub to the usb port on the camera connection kit. On the hub you connect the different USB devices you want to use. The lightning port on the connection kit is to connect the power suply, that is correct.
Many people are happy with just the smallest 10 dollar version.
We think 30 dollar for the app including midi output is a good price, escpecially when compared to the full version.

the hub thing was my own misinformed attempt to connect this setup, but I ordered something that’ll work…I just didn’t do my research on the apple kit and thought both ports would be able to do data, but I’m stupid for thinking apple would be so kind. I’m fine with $30 for the IOS setup if it all works as expected…I just didn’t know that the options were tiered…I had thought I could do the $20 thing and it was all I’d need, no biggie.

1 Like

Still no luck. Here is my setup:

My guitar goes into the Orange Omec Teleport which is connected into an Anker usb hub into my iphone.
Attached to the hub is also the hardware synth via a usb to midi adapter.
I’ve got the app on midi output, virtual midi.

virtual midi is not the right outpu port. you have to select the usb midi cable

The only options the app provides are: no midi output, virtual midi, or network session 1.

Usually new detected midi devices are listed in the midi output chooser as soon as they appear.
1)If our app has missed your newly connected device (bit unlikely), you should restart MG (home, swipe up, swipe MG up out of screen, restart MG)
2)Test the midi cable via garageband or simular: connect the midi in cable to the midi out of your keyboard, and see if you can play the garageband synths with your keyboard.
3) Check now with disconnected teleport audio interface, to see whethere there is a usb conflict going on.

none of that helped. the app isn’t showing any other options in the chooser. I’ve tested my cables and devices. It would be great to see a demo of it controlling a hardware synth via iphone to see if there is any miscommunication.

I never heard that this didnt work before. Did you check whether your usb midi interface is recognised by other apps?

I finally got it to recognize my minitaur using a completely different setup, so whatever it is, there must be some piece of equipment in there that is not supported even though everything works. I might have to try a different usb to midi interface for the streichfett.

It did lead to a different question. I want to be able to blend my clean guitar sound and the synth, but when I switch to midi output I don’t see an option to mix in my clean sound. Is that not possible?

Where do you route the audio from your hardware synth to?

If you want to hear it via your iOS device you would need to funneled the HW synth’s audio back into your iOS device and you’ll need multiple I/O ports for that. You can do this via a device like the iConnectAUDIO2 or 4+. You’ll also have to employ some kind of iOS audio mixing device like AUM or Audiobus 3 because the mix parameter in MG2 is for the app generated audio output.

You might also do this with an external hardware mixer.

the HW synth is going to a PA mixer…with the midi out on the app nothing is coming out of my amp, so I didn’t know if there is a way to still have an unaffected signal from the app going out.