MIDI Guitar is hanging and then crashing Reaper

Just updated from the beta [I’ve had that forever] and now MIDI GTR causes hangs and crashes in Reaper DAW… reaper ver is 5.97…

Win7 pro 64 bit… and MIDI GTR 64 bit…

the problem can happen at various times… changing the instrument, or the patch in it…
or even starting to record… etc., etc.

make sure you dont load synths inside the MG plugin, but use the midi output instead.
there are differnet midi routing possibilities in Reaper ( because of the massive amount of routing possiblities in Reaper).
Please first try the routing like described in this quickstart: http://www.jamorigin.com/docs/daw/#toggle-id-7

thanks Paul… well I’m a long time reaper user and know how to do the routing, no problem
I have now tested the MG all diff ways… and eventually will get the crash… really it is one of those white screen crashes… where reaper can ‘wait’ forever…

the thing is that I only upgraded from the beta to the new version today… and the beta never did that
it always worked just fine…

So I gotta think there is a conflict with the current MG and the latest Reaper versions…

btw, the crash can happen with not other synth being fed midi on another track… it can happen just with the internal sounds of MG… change to a diff internal sound or even just change a preset in one of the current internal sounds…

Please try use MG without internal stuff loaded, just as a midigenerator for other tracks.
It is a known quirk that this “double loading” is not liked very much by many DAW’s.
E.g. in Ableton Live you get crashes when you load synths inside MG, but all is well when used as a pure midi generator.

Ok I’ll try that… BUT … that is NOT good…
If we can’t load it’s own internal synths that is a bad thing…
IMHO, Reaper is pretty darn forgiving compared to many other DAW’s
Do I assume this problem is being working on by the MG developers?

EDIT… OK I’m getting it to work without a crash now… I’ll report back as time goes on

but a question… when MG is loaded on a track and GUI comes up, why does it keep giving me the ‘agree’ screen? Once should be enough for the rest of my live, no???

Most people prefer the big synths that come with the major DAW’s over our own builtin little synths, there hasn’t been any demand for using our builtin synths within a DAW sofar.
The problem is most likely due to some memory management quirk in the framework version we used for making this version. We’ll try to keep an eye on it in the next update.

Thanks much… I do have it working better now and yes I understand about using it with other synths and sending midi to them in the DAW…
One other thing that I find confusing… how we add internal plugins… I added two specific dll file and only one showed up… eventually…
so then I thought, well lets try the Safe Scan… expecting it to respect the folders I had added, but instead it scanned all the plugins it could find… not what I wanted at all… I really don’t want all those inside MG…
So maybe some more clarity in the HELP file or more info on the pop ups about what each thing is going to do…

Ofcourse we’d like a bit fancier selector in the future.
The plugin manager also isn’t perfect, we know that: e.g. you can not delete the scan of the default folders. This was most likely done to prevent people deleting those by accident.
Personally I just type the name of plugin I want in a instrument or fx slot, the plugin selector automatically searches, so I dont bother about the number of plugins that are displayed there, it gets them as fast as i can type.