MidiGuitar updates for windows users?

Hi, to everyone
Any update for midiguitar to members using Windows ???
Thanks for the answer

Yes, there will be many more updates to the desktop/plugin version, but i cant say when.

But it’s been a long time since the last update, can it be two years?

Wondering about Win updates as well - there are very annoying issues when using multiple instances of plugin in the session (reported it to the support some time ago and they acknowledged it). Maybe this is not a big deal for most of the users, but in my case, using plugin as a amp-sim as well, it is a real showstopper.

Patiently waiting :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I second that. I find it totally unfortunate that in two years there has not been a single update.

I third that. Hopefully they have caught up on all the other platforms and can give us windows users some action.

Is there any “wish” list category on this forum to contribute to?

Please always bring on wishes and feature requests. We got a lot of feedback over the years (mostly on emails) from users but feel free to start a thread for any new feature or wish.

The current MIDI Guitar VST/AU plugin version 2.2.1 is very loaded already (much more stuff in there, than in the iOS and Mac Store standalone versions) and its highly extensible as it can load plugins, plugin to DAWs and even have the scripting language inside. The mileage also means its extensively tested and reliable.

The last couple of years have had time to experiment and try to push the limits further in the polyphonic tracking among other heavy things, which isn’t possible to release in small incremental updates. Previously when we did minor updates of the polyphonic tracking, every release would make many happy but we would always make some aspects feel worse for some (usually just a few) users because the feel is just highly subjective and varying with playing styles, and we learned that these kinds of updates needs to come in bigger, bolder updates.

But of course we are constantly trying to improve and we are sort of preparing to get back to a much faster release cycle again. Anyways, requests are always welcome.

Thanks for sharing your comments on updates. I would certainly agree what we have a lot to work with already.

I originally had a need for better preset management in MidiGuitar, but I switched over to Cantabile as a “live” host and it gives me what I need. It allows me to have a lot of plugin control for all my guitar sims and of course midi guitar.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments JamO. I think the important thing is to know that the project is not abandoned and that you are still working on it.

Bringing this thread out of the dead …

Could maybe devs give us a hint, why there is a complete lack of updates/bugfixes for Windows/Mac version of MG? Current version 2.2.1 is already few years (!) old. I love this product, but i am a bit worried as it looks pretty much abandoned on mentioned platforms.

Am i missing something?
Thx in advance for your explanation.

Franci

Updates are coming. We have been working in all directions on new things, and I’ll post a kind of roadmap on this forum very soon.

2.2.1 is stable and battle-tested, and and unique in terms of tracking. We always strive to improve it, and we do listen to feedback despite the slow pace. But parts of MG are very complex and we have learned that we must move slowly, because what feels good to some, will feed bad to others. Also, its a chicken-and-egg thing: many DAWs actually had to make updates (and for some it took two years to prioritise) so that plugins like MG could support routing MIDI out from plugins into piano rolls. Now, we need to transition from VST2 to VST3 and everything is broken again.

I think Zuckerberg wrote to his staff: “move fast and break things”. We need to “move slow and make things”.

1 Like

It’s good that you keep us updated on what you are doing and how you are progressing. We appreciate. However i am not sure what the concern is in releasing an updated version that will not please some users… If they don’t like it, they can always keep using the current one. Also, on a similar subject I sincerely hope you do something to incorporate the MIDI Machines to the iOS version of MG2, be it within the app itself or as a separate plugin… because the way it is now, without the Midi script facility, it is a crippled version of an otherwise excellent piece of software.

Yes, we are working towards a kind of “experimental branch”, which is frequently updated, for those who care. Possibly with more options and settings to fine tune.

I think we are also working towards separating some components (such as MIDI Machines) as more independent plugins. There are other MIDI Scripting plugins as well, and we should support loading those as well.

iOS and Mac is converging, and im all for it and its going to be awesome, but most audio/plugin developers are still trying to figure out how to make a living because of the general perception of pricing on iOS.

This is an excellent reaction to the rampant frenzy of the so-called innovators.

Many people are getting used to receiving more and more frequent updates that bring new problems requiring… new updates!

Midi Guitar’s greatest quality is its stability, which takes precedence over the desire to please or reassure users about the software’s follow-up, and is even a priority in order to reliably bring about improvements that are rightly requested.

This is the reason why I have been using Midi Guitar on stage for years without any fear, contrary to many other programs that have failed me at the wrong moment.

Bumping this request/issue as well … thank you!

“Wondering about Win updates as well - there are very annoying issues when using multiple instances of plugin in the session (reported it to the support some time ago and they acknowledged it). Maybe this is not a big deal for most of the users, but in my case, using plugin as a amp-sim as well, it is a real showstopper.”

I would very much like to participate in any testing / beta versions. I understand your need to keep the main release extremely stable, but many users only use midiguitar for recording, and would be open to something new with stability issues as it would not affect a live performance.

I would also very much like to see audio effects features separated out. I think for many users who are familiar with vsts etc, that this all-in-one approach actually creates confusion. A simpler vst interface that just has the necessary options to communicate the guitar information as midi as an output would be much preferred. Midi machines should remain though as they are sometimes needed for signal tuning