Big Sur | MIDI Guitar 2 Latency & Tracking | Mapping Midi Guitar 2 into GarageBand Instruments

Big Sur | MIDI Guitar 2 Latency & Tracking | Mapping MIDI Guitar 2 into GarageBand Instruments
I’m experiencing two problems with MIDI Guitar 2, and hesitate to purchase the software until I have a demonstrable-working copy on my iMAC.

Problem #1
I’m having some latency issues and tracking issues with MIDI Guitar 2 using the standard piano (default) instrument, and wonder if I need M1 processors or better (assuming MIDI Guitar 2 is coded-optimized to use these extra processing cores for Audio-Midi encoding). My iMac is currently a 3 Ghz, 6-Core Intel Core i5, with 16GB RAM. One would imagine that with the right software expertise, the latency should be near zero with a 6 core system and even better with the new M1 processors. Just look at the video processing speed of the ‘M-based’ iPhones and new MacBook air. It’s time for the developers to invest in some coding optimizations for the Apple platform.

Problem #2
There need to be updated video tutorials showing how to setup and configure MIDI Guitar 2 on Big Sur, as the UI for MIDI and GarageBand has changed. I can (with latency and ghost note issues) get the standard MIDI Guitar 2 instruments to work, but not at a performance or recording standard.

However, I can not get the MIDI Guitar 2 software to connect (GarageBand) software plumbing) to drive the GarageBand instrument portfolio, for example the Vintage B-3 organ. I need this for both practice (loops) and recording in GarageBand.

Until which time a short 5 minute video tutorial for Big Sur is produced by the software developers showing this functionality, I see no reason to purchase the software. Also without any plan to solve the latency problem or recommend a minimum system requirement for latency, I can not see using this software for practice, recording, or live performance.

I would be happy to work with the support team, but am actually surprised to not have found any YouTube videos (or links to 3rd party videos) for MIDI Guitar 2, Big Sur, and GarageBand. The product is a super concept, but needs work, for the amature or professional.

As a Windows user, I can only answer question 1 about latency and ghost notes.

I reassure you right away, this should be fixable by adjusting your audio interface (input level,sample rate, buffer), MG2 noise gate and Midi velocity. You can go deeper into the subject by finding very detailed explanations in this forum.

For my part I do not encounter any latency problem with my old year 2012 Lenovo computer with i5 processor and 8 Gb of RAM and a rather cheap audio interface (Steinberg UR22), even with quite resource-intensive plugins. And as you can see by browsing this forum, most of Mac users have no problems at all with latency.

I still have problems with ghost notes because I do not have a very rigorous playing technique, what is needed to exploit the possibilities of this software. Detailed instructions are also available in the forum.

This is your choice and there is no need to judge it.
Do not forget that JamO is a small craftsman who strives to offer a wonderful tool to those who dream of playing guitar/bass mixed with synths and fx.
Given the work he puts into producing this software, which is aimed at users of different instruments, which runs on different operating systems that are constantly changing, and which can incorporate third-party plugins that are also updated regularly, I guess he has no free time to make videos as can be produced by companies using development staff, marketing staff, etc.

In any case, continue to explore and exploit this software, little by little you will find the solutions that will allow you to enjoy yourself. And above all, don’t hesitate to ask questions when you haven’t found answers on the forum or elsewhere.
Most of the forumers are here to help as much as they can.

1 Like

So far, the 2020 and 2021 YouTube demonstrations show that three note chords are a good and practical limit for the software. I agree, by personal experience. Even with exceptional arpeggio or fingerpicking style, there will be latency issues.

That’s where I think we are at a crossroads. Even the ‘M processor’ iPhone runs circles around most Intel platforms with the powerful cores and superior architecture. If we want DSP/MIDI algorithms to work, we can’t expect to write generic code anymore.

I suspect Apple will integrate this capability into their product line with GarageBand and other products because they have interest in fast audio, video, DSP, and MIDI processing.

Anyway, when MSFT or Apple introduce a new OS along with new GarageBand and ProLogic functionality and configuration needed, then it’s either up to the user community or the software developers to simply run a 5 minute video capture of their testing to show how to setup and configure MIDI Guitar 2 when things work dramatically differently.

The 1 minute demo is for the set up of MIDI Guitar 2 for stand-alone operation on Big Sur.

The 4 minute demo is for the set up on Big Sur, GarageBand (bundled software), and then another short video for ProLogic (which might actually be easier to configure and may be tested).

Otherwise, point the customer (or prospective customer) to someone who has done this already on Big Sur.

Otherwise, is all the functionality really tested and working?

It’s important to add that the videos posted on YouTube by the people who offer MIDI Guitar 2 are now obsolete, because those products are not the current products new customers will be using.

Whether Linux, MSFT, or Apple, they are onto newer hardware, operating systems, and DAWs.

So really, it is important to clean up the YouTube website, or at least include user’s videos with current technology-platforms.

Otherwise, that YouTube channel is looking like this is an abandoned product not keeping pace with the software industry. In that case, I recommend negotiating with Apple and selling the software for future integration into their product line.

My suggestion would be to follow the industry norm, and open source the code, and then charge a subscription for support. That way, if the product can’t be supported on a newly release platform, the open source community can port-bug fix-optimize for a new computing infrastructure release (M-series processors, new OS/drivers, and the sort).

That way the development community can keep pace with MSFT, Linux, Apple, etc., and the support team can get paid to offer a better-supported software product.

Just MHO, from watching the transformation of the software industry over the decades.

Open Source Business Model

If you establish an open source business model, then you might even find an Apple engineer willing to jump on a developer’s forum and show people how to optimize the code for new platforms.

Gee, that would be not unlike the Linux world, and even a bit to where MSFT is moving these days.

Standalone App Demo without Big Sur GarageBand Triggering

Ian posted a recent video demonstrating the polyphony limitations (3 notes or fewer) and the audible processing latency. But he didn’t show the configuration steps to use a guitar to trigger GarageBand ‘native’ instruments on Big Sur’s new GarageBand application.

He didn’t post a setup guide, which is needed.

it is certain that this video shows the limits of using Midi Guitar while playing the guitar… like a guitarist :wink:
The first thing to do before even trying to use Midi guitar with a GarageBand or any DAW or trying to play any MIDI instrument, is to firstly acquire the technique that allows the best signal detection for a clean and efficient conversion.

It is like a pianist who decides to start playing the organ or a double bass player who has never played with a bow: a different material means a different technique and approach.

So avoid what this boy is doing on the video: irregular and imprecise attacks, releasing notes while letting harmonics filter out, positioning the hand too close to the neck, bends, etc.
In fact, he has understood the challenge of getting the most out of MG2, as he himself acknowledges the difficulty in his last comment:
“In the end I just bought a midi keyboard. Although it was fun to use, it’s not as versatile as a keyboard for the sort of music I am recording at the moment, but I can still see myself buying this software at some stage…”

You may be familiar with the following video of Paul Bielatowicz replacing keyboardist Keith Emerson (Emerson Lake & Palmer) and playing Midi Guitar alongside Carl Palmer, it is s a good example of the mastery of the MIDI conversion technique and especially of the absence of latency essential to play this repertoire. It makes you realise that this software is extremely efficient and reliable.
ELP Legacy

There is also this video of a user who is well known on this forum and who shows the different possibilities of using MIDI instruments once you master the playing technique.
A 2021 MIDI Guitar 2.2.1 setup?

Personally, this is what makes me dream and wants to continue working with Midi Guitar.

As regards the software development and management policy, perhaps others can discuss this, because I am only interested in the musical and artistic side.

I’ve spent more time with the demo software, and I wonder if the per-string polyphony tracking might be improved with dedicating a thread (no unlike how six individual saddle-piezo pickups track only one string). Common 7th chords and other common jazz embellishments are often not tracking correctly.

I’m also trying different pickups and so far the under saddle acoustic pickups seem to do as well as if not substantially better than my Fender single coil pickups. I haven’t tried humbucking pickups yet.

Does anyone have recommendations for pickup types and a way to track the usual jazz standard embellished chords?