Help! USB in to my guitar amp (Line 6 Catalyst 60) via USB B

That’s the perfect solution, isn’t it?

On paper it seems to me that it is, anyway; I’ve downloaded the Airstep app to try it out. You can assign any message to any switch, so you can assign PC message 1-12 to give you access to all 12 Catalyst patches. I’m hoping I can then connect to the amp directly from the USB out from the Airstep (which when you use the OTG adaptor acts in host mode, which in theory means it will work as a standalone and doesn’t need a laptop or anything else)

As I said I’ve ordered an Airstep, which will arrive in a couple of weeks. I’ll let you know how it all goes! And if it doesn’t work then I have to choose whether I stick with the 60W and just live with its’ limitations, or swap it for the 100W. After all, whatever the outcome, it it shouldn’t be so difficult - take note, Line 6!

This will be a looong two weeks. But maybe we are on the right track? Funny when the footswitch company knows more than the people who make the amp.

Yes, it will!

So far I’ve been using a Boss RC-5 Looper pedal as a ‘test’ system to try to get MIDI in to the 60W via USB; the Boss has TRS MIDI in / out and a USB B port. The USB port can be used to send MIDI messages, and I know it works as I can receive MIDI from the Boss via USB on my iPhone.

BUT this uses a MIDI app on the phone; it’s been explained to me that although the Boss is sending MIDI, it is the app on the phone that ‘translates’ it in to something meaningful, so because the Boss doesn’t act as a MIDI Host, it won’t work with the amp. And so far unfortunately this has proved to be true, I can’t get the Boss to work when plugged in to the amp USB MIDI in directly.

I have however been able to try the Boss pedal using MIDI out via the TRS, plugged directly in the 5 pin MIDI in on a Catalyst 100W - and it worked perfectly.

The difference with the Airstep - I hope! - is that it can act as a stand-alone MIDI Host, so in theory it will do what we hope it will do.

The irony is that all I want to be able to do is access the full range of presets on the amp. There are only 12, and they are accessed by MIDI PC messages 1 - 12. If it becomes too difficult I will just give up, it’s not like I don’t have a much more capable amp modeller (a Headrush MX5) that I can use for more complex rigs.
Just seems a shame that more presets aren’t available on the amp using a standard non-MIDI footswitch

"all I want to be able to do is access the full range of presets on the amp. There are only 12”. This is exactly what I am going for. In theory this would replace my pedalboard and make my gig rig much easier.

On a Catalyst facebook group there is a guy who has had some success but I think his goals are different “I used a CME Uhost at the Catalyst end and a Yamaha BT01 on the midi controller end. If the Airstep can connect to the Uhost, you just need to be able to send a Program Change message from the Airstep ( sorry I haven’t used an Airstep yet so not sure on how to program it)”

I don’t want to use a CME Uhost or anything else I have to plug in at either end; all I want is a simple amp and a simple pedal. As I said I would prefer it if I could access all the amp presets with a normal channel change pedal.
Sadly that’s not possible so instead I want a MIDI pedal that looks as much like a simple amp footswitch as possible. Which means it must be battery powered (why aren’t there more of these?? MIDI surely doesn’t use much power so I’m surprised that there aren’t more rechargeable MIDI foot switches around) so there are no extra power cables, and just needs one lead (a USB C to B) to connect it to the amp.

So, no pressure, Airstep, but we’re counting on you!

1 Like

I am with you. 100% Airstep or bust,.

Ok, it’s taken a while, but at last I got my Airstep controller, and….

…even though it can act as a USB MIDI host, sadly it doesn’t work with the Catalyst 60W :o(

I’m really disappointed, but the good news is that XSonic tell me that they will release a firmware update to make the Airstep control the amp via USB, as soon as they can get their hands on a Catalyst. Which could be a few months.

So huge credit to XSonic, and the opposite to Line 6 for making it so difficult for Cat 60 owners…

Hi guys,

I am in the same boat with the same problem – a Catalyst 60W that doesn’t respond to USB commands.

I am trying to get the amp to change settings on a song-by-song basis using MIDI commands sent automatically from the UnRealBook app on an iPad. I have it connected via an iRig MIDI connector (which works fine with my Helix) and a Kenton USB Host MkII.

From the reading I have done so far, you can’t just use a pedal that sends a MIDI command over the USB interface – it also has to act as the controller on the interface. It is my understanding that the Kenton does this, yet it doesn’t work.

It’s very frustrating. The advertising material and the manuals state:

MIDI In jack for use with external MIDI controller devices (CATALYST 100 and 200 only—note that 
 all CATALYST models offer MIDI In via USB).

This would imply to a prospective buyer that you can control the amp via USB, which I have spent all day trying to achieve.

Then you go to the Catalyst FAQ page and it says:

Can I use the Catalyst 60’s USB over MIDI capabilities without using a computer?

Although the expected use of the Catalyst 60’s USB over MIDI capabilities is with a computer, you 
  are welcome to try your choice of USB Host to 5 pin DIN MIDI solutions available on the market. 
   However, we cannot recommend or endorse any given solution.

So in other words you might be able to do it but we won’t tell you how to (or we don’t know). It’s pretty close to false advertising.

I can’t understand why Line 6 would recognise that users of the 100W and 200W versions would want to access the 12 settings on the amp remotely, but deny that capability to the 60W users for a couple of dollars’ worth of circuitry.

Anyway, the shop said they would be happy to upgrade to a 100W version that has a proper interface, if I want to spend the money, but I like the small size and lower weight of the 60W, so I am reluctant to do so.

I will keep looking for solutions, but I will be interested to hear if anyone has any success.

Cheers, Simon

@SciMan @NoobToob @littlespaceman
I didn’t ask this before but why are you posting on the Midi Guitar forum?
Are you MG2 users? If so, how do you integrate and use the Catalyst with MG2?
The midi control problem should be easier to solve since MG2 requires the use of a computer. :question:

Hi Herold,
I posted here because this was the only site I found that mentioned the problem.
Everything else online is simply singing the praises of the Catalyst.
Sorry if it’s inappropriate for the forum, but I saw MIDI and guitar and didn’t realise it was about MIDI guitars per se rather than MIDI control of guitar gear.
However it is good to know that there are other people also searching for an answer.
Cheers
Simon

Thanks for doing the work on this. I am beyond frustrated. Hopefully they figure out how to make tis work.

I completely am with you on this. And I asked on gear-page all I got was snarky replies from guitar snobs “you should have bought the 100. Why would you get the 60 if you wanted to use midi”. This attitude even came from Line 6 employees. I don’t know guys, maybe because it comes advertised as midi capable and it isn’t? At this point I returned his Catalyst 60 and will never buy one of their products.

I am using the Kenton USB MIDI Host MKii with a tech 21 midi mouse to select the 13 presets on the Catalyst 60( manual plus 1-12 presets) and. It works perfect. I take the midi mouse 5 pin din out to the Kenton 5 pin midi din in and the Kenton usb A to usb B cable to the catalyst 60 usb jack.
I already owned the midi mouse and bought the Kenton on line $105. The Kenton comes with power adapter.
As I said above this solution allows Me to switch presets on the midi mouse with ease.
Hope this can hep

1 Like

Really good to know ! So any controller with a midi output should work with the Kenton?
I will pass the info on to the catalyst 60 users who were looking for a solution.
But for those who do not have any controller and who would like to buy the midi mouse + the kenton, it will cost 80% of the price of the amp… and at least 65% if they choose the cheapest midi controller.
It is still a deterrent.
Edit: the problem will not be solved for those who have a midi controller with a usb output…

Xsonic promise me (I have been in regular contact with them about this) that the v2.0 firmware for their fantastic (they didn’t tell me to say that!) Airsonic Multi pedal will allow MIDI control via USB for the Catalyst 60W. I’ll report back when I they release the firmware…

Has anyone tried the MeloAudio Foot controller for this purpose?

Hello, is there any news on a pedal to send midi to catalyst 60? It’s a bad idea to try to make you see a change from 100W. In this case that pedal can be used, only one can change between the 12 banks

No news, I’m afraid, and in the end I got fed up with waiting and sold the Catalyst, and bought a Katana instead…:smirk: