Hexaphonic version?

Are there plans to make a 6ch version of the AUV3 for hexaphonic equipped guitars? Seems like a no-brainer.
Thanks

1 Like

@nerver ,

Welcome to the forum! Great question I don’t know why it hasn’t been asked before.

If I may, how are you importing the six analog signals into your computer? Are the six analog signals converted to digital data inside or outside your computer?

Using 6 inputs of an audio interface send in 6 MG2 instances with 6 different MIDI channels ?

1 Like

Just thinking out loud here.
Assume each analog input is assigned to an individual DAW track; six strings, six analog inputs sent to six DAW tracks.
One instance of MG2 as an insert on each track should work. MIDI channel assignment shouldn’t matter since each instance of MG2 is discrete.

Another idea is to have six DAW tracks to capture the six strings. Create six more tracks. Direct the output of each guitar string track to an input of one of the new tracks. Insert MG2 onto each of the new tracks.

With the Boss GP10 or SY1000 you can have the separate 6 string signal via USB in the computer.

2 Likes

This would be simple enough for us to build. I wasn’t aware of any decent hex-pickup-to-USB hardware, but…

… may be the ticket. So you get a 6 channel audio input device on the computer?
Do you know if that works with the ASIO driver on windows?

1 Like

Yes it works very well with ASIO driver in Windows and Mac with very low latency, you get 8 inputs/outputs, 6 from the exaphonic pickup strings and 2 stereo (normal pickup or stereo signal).
I use it often processing 6 signals, routing to zebrify or other processors, sometimes with Midi Guitar inside my Daw or other hosts like Patchwork (very versatile host which works also as vst).
Would be absolutely amazing if MG can receive and process 6 strings in a single instance.
Processing with 6 separate instances consumes a lot of cpu.

1 Like

Ok, I see. This should be easy enough. We’ll add a “6-string-mono-tracking-mode”, sometime after the upcoming releases, if nothing else then for benchmarking the polytrackers :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@lovejazz, Thanks for making everyone aware of the 6 channel output of the Boss GP10 and SY1000. I certainly was not aware of the capability. Even better to discover the ASIO driver works well in Windows!

It looks like Jam Origin is receptive to adding a six input option.

Thanks for adding to the conversation!

2 Likes

Do you know if Roland GI-20 or the old GR-1 can also split into 6 channels?
please post an image or video of the setup, would be helpful.

Those units does not have audio capabilities and so does not have an audio driver at all. The GI-20 USB port is for midi only.

The connection is pretty simple, you connect the unit (GP10 or SY1000) to the computer with and usb cable, nothing more. Then you have 8 in/outs at your dispossal in the audio asio driver which you can route as you want.
Those units works as an audio interface via USB.

3 Likes

Is there a breakout-box device that will split that does not have builtin synth?
would not use any of the onboard sounds of GP10 or SY1000 and they are a bit expensive.
So to do this, must have: hexaphonic pickup + USB device that can split each audio channel or Multiple instances of MG2?

1 Like

There are some gk breakout products on the market like this one: https://www.separate-strings.co.uk/
But you need an aditional audio card to route the six separate strings to the computer.
I think the GP10 is a much more practical and cheaper solution, you can buy a second-hand one for about $ / € 250 or less.
And I assure you that the additional gift functions that the GP10 provides are totally impressive, like modeling of electric guitars, acoustic, bass, modeling of synthesizers, emulation of amps, effects etc. The GP10 is one of the most versatile and amazing pedals on the market if you have an exaphonic pickup on your guitar, seriously.

2 Likes

Ive got a MOTU 8 in/out that I use in my DAW so that should work! Will research the GP10 thanks!

2 Likes

Ubertar Hexaphonic Pickups offer a breakout box option.

1 Like

Hi, this sounds promising. I am waiting for the Ubertar pickup to arrive and will be able to use a MOTU audio interface having 6 mono channels, one per string in Logic.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to reading your feedback.

hi @JamO, when (in time) would you think you’d be able to add this mode? I will have a hexaphonic Tune-O-Matic bridge (Schaller made them) in one or two weeks. I could quite easily replace a LP’s bridge with that one I think and route the individual signals to my MOTU 8-pre and that one to Logic.

The ubertar should also be there in about that time, but might take more time to install.

Thinking about the conversion , I see three options, but I do not know how your software discerns between notes and things like that.

1. You process each track separately and create a MIDI melody for that. You would have 6 soft (or hard :slight_smile: ) synths play these notes and you can pan them nicely etc. That’s cool and I would like it.

2. You process them together, but using the separate audio to better discern between the notes. Not sure yet how much ‘leaking’ there is across the individual note-pickups. I guess there always is some. If you process them together, it would be more easy to delete these double notes: if (as the software) you happen see the same note on the adjecent string, you can ignore that one and focus on the string’s own note. The output would be one polyphonic MIDI file. Easier if you do not want to have it routed to individual synths for each string.

3. Combination of both: simultaneous processing, but still outputting separate MIDI tracks

A thought / question (my MIDI specification knowledge has sunken down in my brain): does MIDI allow panning or other individual info per note (except velocity and aftertouch)? Or only on the whole channel? How do you (if you can) now translate for example multiple pitch bends at a time (bending 2 strings by hand, while leaving one other… do people do that?, or playing two strings but bending only one would be enough: pitch bend in MIDI does all notes…

Cheers,
Mark

Just a random thought, but if you’d not limit the mono tracking mode to 6 strings, say allow 7 or 8, and some enterprising individual out there has a 7 or 8 string pickup with individual string outputs, that would solve the 7-8 string guitar/bass issue. The pickup itself is no problem, just get a 7 or 8 string trem bridge and load it up with Ghost piezo saddles. The interface electronics from the piezo pickup to the computer is another issue; you’d need buffers and an 8 input audio interface or something along those lines.

Hey Mark,

I hope you’ve received your hex Tune-O-Matic and Ubartar by now.

MIDI CC #10 is the coarse pan control while CC #42 is the fine pan control. I believe there controls affects everything on one channel. Some guitar MIDI controllers have a MIDI channel per string setting where the typical six strings either use MIDI channels 1 - 6 or 11 - 16.

If you’re using one of the one string per MIDI channel settings above then you should be capable of controlling pan for each string by using CC #10 and CC #42 on each MIDI channel.