Hexaphonic version?

For Roland GR-1 owners and those who might be interested, I wrote a guide for the integration of the Roland GR-1 with Steinberg Cubase Pro 11. Its here, under REFERENCE:

[[ROLAND GR-1 UTILITIES - Your One Stop Resource For The Roland GR-1 - Patches, Tones, Utilities And Information - UTILITIES]

1 Like

I have a 28 wire GR-1 that connects to a GS-70 (I think, itā€™s in the closet right now) sound module. Something could be jury rigged but it doesnā€™t offer six audio channels by design.

Just a suggestion; I never use MIDI Guitar or Bass as a standalone application. I use the plugin in Cantabile and that opens up all kinds of possibilities. Example: if you can ge the individual strings of a hex pickup to appear separately via USB or whatever method, create 6 separate chains within Cantabile, each starting with an instance of MG. Then do whatever you like with each stringā€™s MIDI data.

I think they still offer a free version of Cantabile, and no I donā€™t work for the company. I discovered both MG and Cantabile at about the same time a few years ago and the combination is powerful.

@Chrisc_o
I assume you mean this software? For others, Cantible Lite is the free version.

Iā€™d not heard of the software until you mentioned it so thanks for the mention and positive review.

Here is a blurb from the website:
Cantabile is the best way we know to play VST instrument and effect plugins in real-time. With incredible MIDI routing capabilities, whether youā€™re practicing in your basement or rockinā€™ the stage weā€™re sure youā€™re going to love Cantabile.

A VST Host designed for serious live performance
Flexible live MIDI routing capabilities
Super stable - battle tested on stage

Especially well suited to keyboard players
Integrates seamlessly with other MIDI hardware
Real-time audio processing for guitar and vocal effects

That is the software in question.

Hi Everyone,

My first post here :grinning: Iā€™ve been watching this topic for a while, and would like to mention a couple of proven hardware options with hex separate strings.

For those who already own a 13-pin GK equipped guitar, I believe my GK Mini Breakout Cable is the easiest separate strings solution. Priced at only Ā£80.00GBP or about 108.00USD, the cable is the equivalent to a breakout box and cable set in one. If a cable is not to your liking, a modest GKP-1 breakout box is the next step up. A GKP-1 breakout box features separate strings I/O, and can re-amp/re-guitar any 13-pin v-guitar unit. Btw, analog separate strings sound much more organic, compared to a Boss GP-10/SY-1000 usb separate strings.

TYPICAL GK HEX SENSOR/PREAMP SPECIFICATIONS

• Individual string dynamic-range or noise-floor = 88dB at best.
  • Separate string output level = 400mV or about -6-8dB with medium playing strength. Heavy guitar solos can go as high as 0.775mV or 0dB.
  • Cross-talk between adjacent strings = 35dB but can go as low as 8dB depending on similar notes played.
  • Separate string harmonic distortion = 0.0480%THD (Roland GK3).

GK Breakout Cable specification:

• Heavy-duty hi-end oxygen-free-copper cables @ 20ā€ inch / 51cm length.
  • Each string signal core is separately shielded.
  • Low cable resistance @ 0.04 Ohms per separate string core.
  • Low capacitance from core to screen @ 216pF = no audible cable colouration.
  • Heavy-duty separate string cables.
  • Separate string connector options with jacks, XLRs and phonos etc.

Thanks for viewing,

Bill

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the MIDI Guitar/Bass forum Bill. Iā€™ve seen that breakout cable and am still interested of course, just hoping that the trade issues sort themselves out soon enough. Glad to have you here anyway, to perhaps help us out with some info on the hex pickup setups. :handshake:

1 Like

Hi LoFiLeiF,

Thank you so much for your kind welcome, and will of course help out with hex separate string setup questions.
Had another look at your GP10 MIDI Guitar 2 setup movie - the depth and commitment shown is very impressive! Your playing style reminds of Chick Coreaā€™s album ā€˜Paint the worldā€™ track ā€œThe Ant & The Elephantā€ Chick Corea Elektric Band II ā€“ Paint The World (1993) - YouTube

Will do my best,

Bill

1 Like

Hi everyone,
Hereā€™s the latest mini breakout cable demo, by British guitarist/artist ā€˜Man of Arunā€™. The demo movie shows multiple insert effects on four separate strings EBGD, And creative use of MIDI Guitar 2 with bottom E/A using an arpeggiator - impressive!

Keeping it short and sweet, Iā€™d say thatā€™s a lot of possibilities from a cable costing Ā£95.00GBP/110.00 USD, especially as some folks are spending mega Ā£Ā£Ā£$$$ bucks on entry-level analog GK hex breakout boxes. :grimacing:

Big thanks to ā€˜Man of Arunā€™ for the youtube demo.

Bill

Separate Strings Hex Pickup Individual Output XLR Breakout Cable (2022-10-21)

Purple XLR mini breakout cable used in the GK hex demo. 1/4 inch jacks and phono connectors are an option. Cable available in black, white and purple.

2 Likes