Should I use my piezo pickup on my Godin guitars

the Godin’s have multiple jacks and one of them is for the piezo hex per string based pickup, is this preferable to use with Midi Guitar ?
i.e. its also what drives the 13 pin connector to my Gr-55

thanks

Hi Charles!

As I showed in a video a while ago, you CAN absolutely use your HexPU. MIDI Guitar 2, Hexaphonic pickups and BOSS GP-10, is this the best setup ever? It also brings with it a great benefit in that it is possible to use the 6 channel alternative via the GP-10 for instance. But as far as pure audio goes, if you have a set of decent hum-free ordinary pickups on your Godin, I would probably use those instead. I haven’t experienced any particular superior properties with the Hex over my standard humbuckers. But it doesn’t hurt to try for yourself. If you get around to making a comparison, please drop a line as to what the result is. It is always interesting to hear about what works for different people.

1 Like

Hi folks,

Just played around with the demo version, and I liked it, so I bought a license.

I have this audio interface: UR44C: Everywhere a Recording Studio | Steinberg - which has MIDI connectors.

I have this guitar with has both 1/4 inch output and 13-pin output: ACS Nylon Natural SG | Godin Guitars

Two questions:

1- Would I be able to plug the 13-pin into the MIDI port of my audio interface and use MG-2 this way? If yes, would there be an advantage to doing so versus just plugging the 1/4 inch output into a normal Hi-Z input on my audio interface?

2- When I am playing with the 1/4 inch method, I am hearing my normal guitar sounds come through my speakers / headphones even though I have the mix knob on MG-2 turned all the way to piano sounds. Is there a way to set things up (either via my audio interface or via MG-2) so that I don’t hear my raw guitar sounds but rather only the piano sounds? I am using MG-2 as a standalone piece of software, not integrated into a DAW.

Thanks!

Ramzi :slight_smile:

Hi @rombsix
Welcome here, to begin with. :handshake:
The reason to use the 13-pin jack, for anyone that has that, is that you can set it up with MIDI Guitar 2 in a way to achieve some per-string assignment possibilities. If you are interested in how, you can take a look at this video as a place to start.

That way of setting up had its merits at the time but has become superfluous with the advent of MIDI Guitar 3. That setup also hinges on you having something like the GP-10 or something else that can pass on the six channels of audio that the HexPU provides. I am NOT using Roland MIDI conversion here. You do not go from the 13-pin jack to the MIDI IN without some sort of conversion, as an answer to your first question. You seem to have six channels though, so you could use something like a breakout cable if you are interested.

But if you don’t have a GP-10 already (or something that does the same thing) you should probably stick to the 1/4 inch jack plug solution for now, and wait for MG3 coming to your platform.

About 2) there is usually something like a direct monitor knob or button or setting on your interface.
I don’t know that particular interface though, so I can’t tell you how to do it, I am afraid.

the 13 pin connector transmits analog string data, unfortunately it does not carry digital/midi data. this conversion happens in the attached device (gp-10, etc.).

with your 1/4" problem, most likely the issue is that the umc’s mix includes both the input signal and the output from mg2. the dspmix control app should allow you to output the mg2 signal only, once that is corrected the mg2 ‘mix’ knob will perform as expected.

i have a guitar with individual piezo pickups and i am using the separate strings breakout box. it is the best guitar to midi option i have ever held in my hands.

one thing i can do which i don’t think mg3 can do is to define fretboard zones.

if you have the opportunity, please try to compare your nylon piezo guitar against a steel string electric. recent tinkering with active/passive/piezo pickups has me suspecting that piezo is the best option for mg2.