7 string compatability?

No way of having an update to have 7 strings as an option for tracking?

There will be a major tracking update at some point, and with much more low range than now, but to be honest, 7 string polyphony might not be as important to most users - 6 note polyphony is already like a wall of sound with most synths. As long as you stay within the range set, 7 string should be quite fine, already in the current version.

But you don’t let the low note go below D… and for whatever reason, although the low B (actually low A in my case) midi signal is clearly sent in the MIDI monitor, the signal doesn’t seem to reach whatever plugin I’m using because the lowest note I can get corresponds to whatever I’ve chosen my tuning to be in MG2!

Seems like an easy fix, just let us tune the 6th string lower

1 Like

I really hope for this to :wink:

No! Lots of modern guitarists use more strings nowadays. I want to buy your software but I need support for a 7-string or at least notes lower than drop D. When will this be available? We want to give you money!

We hear you. This is a major change and much more difficult than it may sound.
Basically we are up against physics and everything is a balance/tradeoff among polyphony, latency, low range, velocity response, etc… Thats why no-one else managed to make real time polyphonic guitar tracking.

We have a tracker that goes down to E0 here in the office, but its not ready yet.

4 Likes

For my 8 strings guitar, running 2 MG instances (1 Midi Guitar + 1 Midi Bass) should do the job , no ? :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes and no!! There will be limitations to the lower end from the MIDI Bass (No bends - no polyphony)But on the other hand, you get some version of polyphonic output from using two channels in tandem.

Extended range guitars (7, 8 & 9 string) are not supported by the MIDI Guitar 2 software in itself, but by opening two audio tracks and run one instance of MIDI Bass simultaneously you can remedy that. The Bass version is rather limited though: monophonic only and no bends. But here I split the original six strings into two no-overlapping parts: sending midi on ch 2 & 3, and used the extended range (MIDI Bass) to send on ch 1. I opened three instances of Kontakt with Spitfire Audio Alternative Solo Strings Double Bass, Cello & Viola. The trick is to set up the software to not overlap. It is not perfect, but it sure works!

3 Likes

@LoFiLeiF
I was sure it could work, even with some limitations.
My question about 8 string guitars was a joke :wink:, as I only have 6 string guitars and my audio interface doesn’t even have a multi-client driver to use 2 instances of MG ( although I could use multiple instances of MG in Gig Performer ).

I understand that a software developer is asked to implement user requests, but I think it is more relevant to first look for solutions by yourself, it offers unsuspected possibilities, new fields of sound investigation and allows a better control of the tool.

And thank you for this video and all the others that delight me everytime :smiley:.

1 Like

Doesn’t Gig Performer take in Outside MIDI? As from a standalone instance? I just tried playing a Piano with MIDI guitar 2 in Abelton and the MIDI bass as standalone. Recieving on all channels of course, but it worked ok, although some extra attention to the MIDI Bass gain was needed.

It is more simple to open 2 MG plugins in a unique Gig Performer window and to assign different split ranges (and different midi channels if needed).

3 Likes

I see,…I think? That seems rather complex :astonished:

I started to build my kit slowly and then with time I added little by little elements in this virtual pedalboard.
Here is the simple version showing how to use 2 instances of MG at the same time, it’s easier to understand :smiley:

snap GP&MGx2

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was encouraged enough to buy the bundle after seeing what the guitar and bass plugins can do in tandem for a 7 string and found this works well enough for my needs. If you have a good computer i recommend trying it. Its actually pretty cool to have separate channels for low strings to use with a different virtual instrument if wanted. I also learned about the midi machines API today which looks like a great way to further customize. Mentioning signal physics its interesting to think about how lower strings have longer waves so more theres more latency. Im already impressed and excited to see what the next advancements are. :metal:

1 Like

What about taking lower notes (signal) and converting it to a known frequency (of the same note) then transposing it down to the correct pitch? …clearly i have no idea how this works.
It seems you could take a low frequency and just compress it into something midi can recognize. I bet there will be some A.I. stuff going on soon.

I could definitely use tracking to E0 on my 12 string bass. It goes to B00

I also have had success using midiguitar and midibass on separate channels in mainstage to capture the bottom notes of my 8-string classical. Like other users, I would be very pleased to be able to do this in iOS, as I am increasingly drawn to the simplicity of performing [outside, wherever, who knows when we can give indoor concerts again!] through a docked ipad rather than my aged macbook with usb cables going every which way. As I saw another user mention, tracking my nylon string guitars goes surprisingly well—the one with an active pickup seeming less likely to trigger unintended midi through the body getting knocked.

1 Like

I would just like to add my support for this feature request.
I tune to drop C, and would love to be able to capture that low note without running multiple instances etc.

Thanks for such an awesome plugin, I use it regularly (includinglive, flawlessly)

1 Like

I play 7 string and I’m using the Stradivari Cello VST, with Midi Guitar 2.

The lowest note is B(1) on the lowest open string, the highest note is A#(5) on the high string 19th fret.

That’s plenty notes for me. Everything works well. :slight_smile: