Acoustic guitar with microphone into MIDI Guitar

We’re often asked whether is possible to use acoustic guitar with microphone into MIDI Guitar. There are 2 answers to this:
-no, when you are on stage with other instrumetns bleeding into your microphone
-yes, when you are in a studio environment.
Place the microphone no where near the soundhole, choose the spot where the sound is most dry and unresonant.

1 Like

I am using the trial version of MG2 and tried recording and converting an acoustic guitar performance in my studio. Solo performance; no effects and very dry environment. Pro player (LA studio musician); finger picking style. The resulting MIDI is full of artifacts–I’m assuming from fret/string noise, sympathetic vibrations on open strings, etc. These tend to be very short little extraneous notes. Also, there are notes that seem to be an octave off. I’ve tried fiddling with the signal input level, gain and noise gate adjustments but nothing makes much difference. Tried it with both standalone and plug-in versions.

Am I missing a crucial adjustment? Is this product really meant for microphone recordings or is it practically limited to electric guitar?

Is there a way to optimize MG2 for a specific instrument since it’s based on machine learning technology?

First, my example shows not a fingerstyle piece. The product is not meant for microphone recordings, it is meant for electric guitar in the first place, and works well with many piezo acoustics.
Conversion via mIcrophone is not really supported.
I just showed you can wiggle it to do it anyway. But it is very much dependent on the type of guitar and what you expect from it.
Machine learning is not something that is done on the userside, there is no way to adapt MG to different instruments other than playing that other instrument in such a way that it triggers a bit better.