Any Black Friday or Holiday Sales for Midi Guitar

Checking if any potential sales for the holidays?

Thanks,
JP

No, unfortunately, we never really do discounts. :pray:

Thatā€™s a shame because the price was also raised by a significant amount recently.

As someone who wanted the software for a couple years and finally decided that now was the time I was going to treat myself, I was pretty saddened to see the new price (wasnā€™t on the mailing list, didnā€™t know, never thought the price would go up) and now Iā€™m even more discouraged to see no holiday sale. If you even put it on sale for the old price as a throwback or last chance offer that would be really cool. I am sure it will gain you more than a few new customers, especially if you let Tiger the Frog over at the VI Control deals forum know.

Please consider it. Iā€™ll buy in if you do a sale that is anywhere from 33% off and up.

Cheers.

What Iā€™m about to say is my own business: sales, promotions, black friday offers, etc. are made by companies that employ developers or even just sell products they did not create. The revenue is high enough to operate with sales, financial and legal staff that they can discount to get new customers to inflate sales.

Jam Origin is a craftsman who develops a unique product for musicians and sells it on his own like a big one. He sells his product for the real value of his work, he can not afford to be a carpetbagger and I sincerely believe that is not his intention.

Besides, the price increase of the software is quite normal: it has not increased for years and not only does it bring an improvement of the tracking performances, but it also includes new functions and MidiMachines, new evolutions of the proprietary plugins, which add to what was at the beginning a simple audio-to-midi converter with a few plugins, most of which being available for free.

All softwares upgrading with new tools see their price increased accordingly and most of them often charge this upgrade to their users of less than 1 year, 6 months, sometimes even 3 months.

Midi Guitar, on the other hand, has not increased in price for years and the license is for life! So users who have had a license for years appreciate the free updates today and those who buy the license today will in turn appreciate the future free updates.

This licensing policy is to the credit of those who develop software to make users happy and not to make money like the giants of this business who underpay development workers and depreciate the value of their work by selling off their creations.

This software is unique, it has few if any equivalents, so if you think it is worthwhile, you are willing to pay a reasonable amount for the service provided.

You can also read here some reactions about the price increase of Midi Guitar: Price increased by 50%

4 Likes

A very well expressed opinion, thank you for that.

Still, this is how consumers consume. It depends on whether or not the developer wants a cash infusion and an increase in the customer base by running a sale for Black Friday. It is the best and easiest marketing opportunity of the year. Many consumers are ready with their cash to purchase things that they feel are an even better value than normal. The intention is to capture customers that would otherwise not likely be captured.

I will not buy it at $149. I would buy it at $99 or less. No sale = no sale. Itā€™s not like I donā€™t have any other way or options for recording midi. I have a midi keyboard in front of me. I think it would be cool to use my guitar though. Not a necessity for me, but if enticed, I will bite.

Does the developer want to end up with (for example) 50 to 100 new customers and $5000 to $10,000 more in the bank by the end of this weekend or not?

There is a lot of value to growing the customer base, growing the brand and increasing good exposure.

This is just good business, and there are many extremely talented and hard working one-man shops who do sales (many for this BF). Some of them will be getting my money.

This is how you consume, I am a consumer too and I do not do this way.

You talk about profit and benefits but I do not think that is what Jam Origin does. If he wanted to make a profit he would partner with carpetbaggers to sell as many items as possible and he would end up having to answer to hundreds of people who bought this software because it does not cost much but who do not understand it either. What would happen? Either the developer tries to answer everyone so as not to lose his ā€œcustomersā€ and not to look like a bad salesman but he has no more time to do his real job which is to develop and improve his software, or he continues to do his job but he is commercially burned.

There are people who are not looking to make a profit at all costs but who do their work by passion and to offer the fruit of their labor to musicians who are passionate about this software. Money has nothing to do with it although it is an unavoidable factor in the marketing process.

I have a midi keyboard in front of me. I think it would be cool to use my guitar though. Not a necessity for me, but if enticed, I will bite

If you like this software but you do not really need it, keep using the trial version, so you do not have to pay any money. I know people who do this and still enjoy it. This is the advantage of the trial version to be fully functional, just having to click from time to time. :grinning:

1 Like

Interesting discussion! I, too, am on the fence about purchasing. At $99 I would have already bought. At $149, Iā€™m sort of waiting for the next weekend evening after Iā€™ve had a few beers and am playing around with some wild synth patch over a jamstix track and finally get tired of clicking the trial version button every few minutes :slight_smile: The trial version system is brilliant, by the way. As is this software. Butā€¦if I buy this, then I know Iā€™m going to get sucked in to wanting more and more instruments and then, before you know it, Iā€™ve had even more beer and am browsing the Native Instruments site with my pre-melted credit card out beside me!

Whatā€™s interesting about this topic to me, though, is that itā€™s a pure selling problem like they teach in Business School. There is a theoretical limitless supply of the product and the incremental (variable) cost of selling each unit is close to $0 (close = accounting for support costs). Therefore, once fixed costs are covered, each sale is almost 100% profit, no matter what the price. The trick, involving calculus, is to find the intersection of marginal cost and marginal price, finding the price where the maxiumum number of people buy the product. 1,000 people buying at $99 = $99k of mostly profit. 500 people buying at $149 = $74,500, also mostly profit, but less. Personally, Iā€™d like to see the maker/seller of this fine software earn as much income as possible, which could ā€˜probablyā€™ be done with a lower price.

Anyway, yeah I wish it went on sale from time to time, but Iā€™m still going to buy it. $149 feels pricey, but with a lack of real competition AND free lifetime upgrades, Iā€™m in.

I have a fairly simple approach to buying a product: if I like it enough, I will buy it if I can afford it. If I can not afford it, I willl save money according to my priorities and buy it when I have the budget.
For Midi Guitar, I put it as a priority in my music budget, and I paid for it by doing 2 concerts :wink:

1 Like

I realize this is an old conversation. Like a couple of other posters, at $99 or even $129, I would have bought MG2 without hesitation. At $149, Iā€™ve been hesitating for a few weeks. I know itā€™s weird.

I donā€™t know anything about the JamOrigin story. Seems like a cool product. Whatā€™s unknowable is how many more people might have purchased at $99. Would it have been 1/3 more people purchasing? 50% more? Or maybe he figured out that heā€™d have the same number of purchasers regardless.

If there is Black friday 22 sale this year I would be very interested in purchasing Midi Guitar 2, I hope you might consider this .

Hi Craig! If we are to go by an earlier statement from the developer in this thread here, I would say no:

ok thanks, although that was last year maybe there is hope for one this year 22

1 Like

Yeah best of luck Chlady with 2022.

I just remember asking for the same in 2021 and got the same answer. I would believe there are lots that wait for sale discount during the holidays like SO many other major vendors that offer. But JO seems like it doesnā€™t believe in the extra sales it would generate.
Though I just purchased a HW solution instead, better tracking.

Since big companies like WAVES, AVID etc easily cancel the one-time purchase license, and Even Soundtoys, UAD (Ukraine problem)can ban your account without giving any provides. We, customers, are not only considering price issues but trust issues. Who knows what will software company do next? So we have no choice but to spend less and choose the famous company which may have not only the plugins business.
For $149, I would rather buy from some companies I know.
So I decided, like @jjp, to buy the hardware.

Well Said Herold as a Consumer I do look for black Friday and discounts from bigger companies But its always abit odd If it has a Value of $XX why is it half the price today ? if I miss out why do I have to pay double when I need it next month ?

Independent developers or small businesses should sell at the value itā€™s worth and at the cost that is needed to continue to be in business and Consumers should support every business that is not BIG business.

1 Like

The tactic of discounting is to increase turnover by getting rid of low-demand products on a regular and occasional basis for high-demand products, while steadily lowering production and operating costs.
This works for a company selling many products to many buyers, but not for one selling only one product to few buyers.

These laws of the economic market not only work in the short term, but in the long term they lead to a narrowing of the margin of manoeuvre, which invariably ends with the weakest, unable to keep up, being bought out by the strongest, who consolidate their position by centralising so that they can continue to cut costs.

It is the unfortunate story of the snake biting its own tail that we see unfold as the days go by.