Audio Modelling String Section

Has anyone tried the Audio Modelling String Section that released just now. This may make a lot of Sampled libraries redundant…. Thanks

I haven’t, but the individual sounds such as cello/violin/double bass/trumpets/saxes are all great. they work a lot better with mpe hardware, so I’d assume will work fantastic with MG3 since it will have MPE supposedly. I would definitely imagine that the string section is similar also in operation to the individual sounds. Hope that helps!

LoFiLeIf
Request your thoughts. You are the Guru and master. Should we or shouldn’t we please offer your recommendations. This could be a game changer.

1 Like

@Shyamus
So, I am evaluating this software right now, and as an alternative to setting up a giant orchestral string session with (say) Divisimate these are fantastic. It saves a LOT of time not having to set up several four or five-string divisi for each section, and not to speak of the placement in the room. And it is of course equally as flexible and nimble as the solo instruments. Perhaps it doesn’t respond exactly as fast since you are in fact controlling a group of instruments, but the dynamic control is as usual outstanding.

With this, I just open up a section, decide on how big it should be (depending on if I am using it as a single voice or in a chord perhaps), and just go on to the next section to perhaps just transpose it instead. Placement in the room I can do at any time. So yeah, it is a great timesaver.

These sections are in themselves monophonic (or biphonic for the Polyphony=Double alternative) but the biphonic polyphony does not allow for those two notes to be bent in different directions as would be the case with the MPE specs.
But to your statement

Well, if what you intend to do is to get past is the tedious task of multiplying identical voices for a divisi (part) of your orchestral scoring this is exactly what you want. But you have to record or perform each horizontal layer with single note lines, one at a time if you are not interested in a fixed spacing between voices. You can of course tune a couple of sections in a set relation and record chords that way. But it is not made for broad brush strokes sketching going back and forth between a lead melody and chords easily. It is more about playing unison lines in sections of your preferred size, in a common room of your choosing. One of the perks is that the room choice affects all open sections and gives you the option of placing them somewhere befitting your project demands. It is also way more CPU efficient than doing the same thing with solo instruments instead.
When I first tried this software out, their MPE presets (Default, Seaboard, Linnstrument and others) lacked the bends possibility. That was a bug that they fixed, and it is going out to all users SWAM String section users soon. If any of you have bought this already you can ask Lele at Audio Modeling for the working beta if you are interested in using it as an MPE instrument too.
The critique I have been able to pick up on so far from other users have been stuff like,

1. The scripted vibrato is kind of timid (it really doesn’t affect me since I use my guitar pitch bends capabilities for vibrato mainly.
  2. The Bow pressure is not as prominent as with the solo instruments, and I agree it isn’t. I really would like more of those aggressive stabs, also for the sections.

Neither of these critiques is in any way a dealbreaker for me, but I just wanted to pass them along, since you are asking. The thing I absolutely would like to see in the future is the option of automatic integration of all SWAM instruments into this ROOM/Position environment. That would be really awesome.

Hope this gives you something to work with. I am also working on a video, but I don’t want to rush anything just to have it out as soon as possible. I really would like it to showcase some of the reasons why I would choose MIDI Guitar as an MPE controller over any other controller also for this software.

2 Likes

LoFiLeiF, Thanks for the detailed response. My string parts are individually played for each section. I may start with putting the basic melody in piano on one track and the Chords on another piano track in logic and then start from that as a reference to play out the sections. Isn’t the idea and concept of using MG2 and Ultra Leap gecko is to get as close to realism as possible.

Given the current power of the Macs, CPU isn’t an issue, therefore I am wondering whether using solo instruments to build sections and draw minor variations in expressions and vibratos etc, would create more authentic parts, like many have done in the past. instead of putting out $500 for this. Ofcourse for professionals with time pressured deliveries this maybe very useful. But for a weekend enthusiast student like me, where the journey is goal, I wonder if this adds any significant benefit. Sharing thoughts before swiping the card!!!.

1 Like

Hi @Shyamus

If you already have all the (SWAM) instruments you need, and don’t feel the need for that “Room” to place your orchestra in, I don’t see what you would miss out on here. If you have a powerful enough computer and the time to set this intricate divisi up, I believe you have access to a sonically more precise tool when working with single instruments over ensembles anyway. You can manipulate each instrument’s parameters in detail, plus you have the full range of the bow pressure/vibrato too. Nothing wrong with that. :+1: