Best MIDI Interface for MG3

I’m using a Behringer X32 to connect my guitar into Logic, but I’m looking for a more compact MIDI interface that allows connecting CC controllers and pedals. What works best with MG3 and Logic?

I’m also using a X32 and I’m very satisfied with that solution. In addition I’m using a FCB1010 and a small 8 channel midi controller with 2 M-Audio expression pedals connected to it.
Of course that is more a fixed installation rather than a portable solution.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006026405213.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.1618470fEaLqpu&algo_pvid=fb9c37c8-9ba0-482b-811d-546fe96f5cdb&algo_exp_id=fb9c37c8-9ba0-482b-811d-546fe96f5cdb-0&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!147.78!147.78!!!161.23!161.23!%402101584517247502239517129e5b41!12000035380546258!sea!NO!723340422!X&curPageLogUid=z4nGSG84RD76&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Most recent interfaces work very well, not just with MG3 and Logic but with all audio programmes.

Depending on your budget, you can look for the best prices on the FOCUSRITE, M-AUDIO, PRESONUS.

For mid-range and top-of-the-range products, opt for APOGEE, AUDIENT, RME (RME: my choice :wink:)

i don’t think loislois wants a midi interface, or to replace the x32.

i think the goal is to add exp pedals and perhaps momentaries.

the problem with many existing solutions is that they don’t contain enough exp ports. even four is just barely enough, imo (wah, modulation, slide pressure, blend).

i haven’t used any of these, there is one with four exp inputs:
https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

if you know an arduino/maker type building your dream interface is not only possible but much less expensive.

https://shanteacontrols.com/

I often have this problem understanding precisely the English language :smile:

I have both Audiofront models:
MIDI Expression Quattro (4 inputs )
MIDI Expression iO (4 inputs + MIDI in/out)
Both are excellent.

We rarely use more than 4 controllers in a single MG patch, and all you have to do is remap the controllers in each patch to the destinations you want, i.e.:
Patch 1: controllers 1 to 4 to wah, dynamics, reverb, delay
Patch 2: same controllers to disto, EQ, pitch, filter
etc…

a related issue is that mpe synth presets are designed for keyboard players, and often the ‘key’ control parameters are assigned to slide or pressure.

so those who mostly play mpe synths, and who are okay with global rather than per channel control will most likely need to dedicate at least two pedals to the synths alone.

also, we don’t know what new magic devices jamo has hidden up their sleeve. we do know we will need some way to control them.

i guess what i am trying to say is that it may be helpful to decide how many exp’s one needs, and then add an extra port just in case.

Sometime ago I got this Meloaudio foot Controller (now out of Business)

I have it programmed with 8 Momentary switches, while other firmware ROM settings are a mixed bag of Program change and Latch CC. I can program up to 8 controls in MG3 and so far I am fine. If I had to buy something I would go Boss FS-1-WL that can be expanded with expression pedals and two switches or the companion EV-1-WL that can also be expanded. Nektar is also good as pedalboard : https://nektartech.com/pacer-midi-daw-footswitch-controller/ and there’s tons of cheaper options as the chocolate bar itself or clones for MIDI - Amazon is your friend here.

Hope it helps

The first link in my post above is the successor of the Meloaudio controller. The responsible MIDI controller development guys left the company and opened their own business (now “Paint Audio”) as it is written on the Meloaudio web site.

@kimyo

Yep! Soon I’m running out of space…

2 Likes

Ops I did not click on your link…

you clearly need at least one roadie and a large chunk of the stage.

and you deserve both, given the tasty tracks you deliver.

that’s a very beautiful guitar.

1 Like

Love this setup, there’s also a GP10 on the left… is there a VG99 hidden somewhere?

@pasha

If you look very careful you can spot a little tiny piece of it…

1 Like

Upper right… VG99 … Fantastic setup!

1 Like

not buying the vg-99 is one of my biggest gear regrets.

@kimyo

it’s indeed a great unit!

1 Like

@Dutti67 :point_up: :rofl:

I can’t wait for wireless audio and MIDI to become the universal standard…

Since I now only play virtual instruments, I got rid of all my old equipment (which almost looked like yours) and condensed it all on a single pedalboard:

And a light version when I take public transport to go and play.

1 Like

heel: not too many pirates.
middle: more pirates!
toe press: max pirates!

i need this one on my board asap.

@Herold

that’s my “back-up” too.

The advantage of the Ampero is that I plug 2 expression pedals into it instead of just one :wink: