Change Sample rate and buffer size on iOS

I would also pay extra for lower latency.

I probably exist between the two extremes here. I can tolerate the higher latency if all I’m doing is playing synth on my guitar. But that’s not what I mostly do and in my use case the latency is a big deal.

I basically split my signal chain with 1/2 going through a traditional guitar ring and 1/2 going through the iOS version of midi guitar 2. I want to do this so I can play guitar parts in unison with the synth instruments.

Problem is the latency in MG2 is so much higher than my guitar rig that the synth is always behind which leads to an almost slapback like effect. This actually sounds cool in some contexts…. But it sounds super sloppy in many others.

It sounds unplayably bad when using synths that have a percussive sound (like a click organ, piano, or Clav).

Hence I find MG2’s latency to limit my ability to do what I bought the app to do.

With that said… I still find lots of uses for the app where the latency isn’t a big deal. I’m not unhappy with the app… the tech is amazing. But it’s a 4.5 star rating until the latency comes down. And it seams like such an easy fix! Please, make this a 5 star product!

FYI, I found a workaround. GUITAR MIDI 2 supports being run as as AU effect. In that context, the host controls the buffer size, so you can set it as needed.

I’m running it in AUM which is a brilliant app that also hosts all my synths and custom MIDI control scripts (Mozaic). It’s built-in my guitar rig. Works beautifully.

2 Likes