Consistently crashes seven minutes after loading in AUM

iPad Pro 11" 2022 model
AUM
Interapp audio version

Loading as a node in AUM
Seven to eight minutes after loading stops working with a high pitched squeal. Happens only one. Unloading and reloading solves the problem but this renders it unusable for the first seven minutes

I can’t reproduce this on an iPad Pro 2020… which iOS version do you use?

I’m running 15.4
Isn’t the 2020 using an A12 Processor? I’m running an M1

It may have something to do with the complexity of the AUM session.
Prior to my most recent changes to the session my typical process was:

start midi2guitar
start AUM.
Midi2guitar is auto-loaded into its node (interapp audio)
Wait 7-8 minutes.
Midi2guitar ceases to function, usually with a high pitched noise
Quit midi2guitar.
Restart midi2guitar.
Unload and reload in AUM
Midi2guitar no longer freezes

Since my most recent changes. Quitting and restarting midi2guitar no longer solves the problem. Now it continuously freezes, or now sometimes fails to track every 7-8 minutes after loading.

I’m going to create a new session using just Midi2guitar and see if I can reproduce the problem, and if not, then incrementally increase the complexity of the session.

1 Like

Is there a debug version - a way to catch if an exception is thrown?
Love the product but this has rendered the iOS version unusable.

This might actually be an issue in AUM’s loading of IA apps. Researching.

From AUM’s website:

Sometimes, iOS wrongfully sends a session interruption to hosted IAA nodes, even though there actually was no real cause for the interruption. This results in a loud buzzing noise as the host continues to grab the same buffer over and over again, while the node is actually stopped.

The work-around is for the node to restart its audio if interrupted while connected to a host. Real interruptions should be handled by the host in any case, by re-initializing its hosted nodes by calling AudioUnitInitialize() on them.

1 Like

I was able to produce the failure consistently just loading midi2guitar into AUM.
Prior to testing I closed all apps and restarted my iPad for a clean slate.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start AUM
  2. Add an audio node
  3. Load midi2guitar (interapp audio version) into the first empty node on the channel strip
  4. Start midi2guitar standalone - this step is required for AUM to load the app into the channel node
  5. Wait 8 minutes (typically occurs after 7 minutes but go to 8 to be sure

Midi2 guitar fails in one of three ways:
Freezes with a with a high pitched noise (most common)
Just freezes
Tracking fails

System info
IPad Pro 11" 3rd Gen. (M1 processor)
IOS 15.4.1

I was able to consistently reproduce this with a Tascam US 1x2 audio interface, a Presonus Studio 24c, and with no external audio interface.

As the error usually occurs with a high pitch noise, which I suspect is the same error described in AUM dev notes as follows:

Buzz noise, interruptions for IAA nodes

Sometimes, iOS wrongfully sends a session interruption to hosted IAA nodes, even though there actually was no real cause for the interruption. This results in a loud buzzing noise as the host continues to grab the same buffer over and over again, while the node is actually stopped.

The work-around is for the node to restart its audio if interrupted while connected to a host. Real interruptions should be handled by the host in any case, by re-initializing its hosted nodes by calling AudioUnitInitialize() on them.

Audiobus workaround:

Start M2G and select EXTERNAL MIDI OUTPUT

In Audiobus create a midi channel
Select m2G as input
Select AUM as output
Start AUM
Create audio channel and select an instrument plugin as input
In the midi routing MG2 will appear as a source.
Route the source to the instrument you just created

No more crashes.

1 Like

I just posted about this myself a couple days ago.

Today however, zero issues.
So Whats different? Well, prior, i was running usb c from ipad pro to usbc on rhode A1 interface.

Today, i put a powered usbc hub in between, and all has been rosy.

Is your interface powered or unpowered? If its unpowered, try a powered hub. If that works, please let me know as I’ll rest easy my problem doesnt come back. If that doeant work for you, ill go back to troubleshooting as whwn you fix a proble without knowing how, its a recipe for future disaster!