DAW - Cakewalk - MG2 Per String Setup

How to setup MG2 Per String in Cakewalk?
Each string gets it’s own channel.
looks like several ways, Separate Audio + MIDI track, Combined Multi instrument, not sure how to make it work.

The other way is to set up your different instances to send on different MIDI channels and have your Instruments (tracks) only recieve on those.

That is not possible because there is no “per string” data collection. You can specify note ranges to a specific MIDI channel but as you know these ranges can be found on several strings.
The only proper way to seperate strings is using a Hex PU and a matching interface (e.g. GP-10 / SY-1000).

2 Likes

I thought there were some videos where LoFiLeif is using multiple instances (6) one per string.
Used with a hex pickup specifically to have MG2 process each string.

String 1 instance 1 MG) Channel 1 - Piano
String 2 instance 2 MG) Channel 2 - Xylophone
etc.

i would like to learn the exact steps to set it up in Cakewalk.

Yes, he made a good video explaining how to use the Boss GP-10 (and a Hex PU) as audio interface and then processing the single string signals in a DAW.
If you have guitar with Hex PU and a GP-10 or SY-1000 that should be possible also in Cakewalk.

2 Likes

MIDI Guitar 2, Hexaphonic pickups and BOSS GP-10, is this the best setup ever?

2 Likes

Maybe you have seen the video in attached link already. This is an option that allows you to have different sound ranges and multiple instances of MG2 using a normal guitar.

1 Like

@Dutti67 Thank you, I did not watch that yet. :slight_smile:
LoFiLeif has so many good and informative videos, some are a bit technical.
Hope someone familiar with CbB can show how do do this in Cakewalk specifically.
Really looking forward to MG3…!

1 Like

LoFiLeif has the greatest videos that will always give you new inspiration!

A simple way to split a bass line note range is to use the MIDI machine called “Channel Split”. This script allows you to send notes from one MG2 instance to two different MIDI channels.

Well, I have a copy of cakewalk on my windows PC but need to figure out how to see MG2 as a plugin first.

2 Likes

@sadicus

It also works in cakewalk. It is important that you activate the MIDI out in the plugin header (cakewalk specific), it took me some while until I found that.

Then you have to select the corresponding MIDI channel on each channel and you are good to go!

2 Likes

This makes way more sense now, ~ THANK YOU
Yes, LoFiLeif musicianship, knowledge and creativity on this forum is inspirational. There are also a few others I have appreciated (and liked) the fact they posted videos of using MG2 in various ways.
Much like the ZBrush and Cakewalk Forums, MG Forum has great support and helpful people.

2 Likes