Desperately seeking this effect

i think it is an effect? or maybe a patch?

the rhodes starts to mutate at around 0:10 and becomes fully infected around 0:20.

it defies description, but it’s kind of kind turning a rhodes inside out, setting it on fire, and then transmogrifying it thru 4d space.

i need it.

(performance: Chick Corea - Wake Up Call from Chinese Butter)

Sounds like a bitcrusher effect:

Or maybe even a Flanger at a “metalic” setting.

1 Like

I would guess that this is a post-edited “synth” patch.

This is from the 70s, I’m pretty sure he is playing a Rhodes and an old school analog bit crusher.

Exactly lo-fi 70s, the “bit crushers” came later in the game park but synths were established. It is most likely a Rhodes with tweaked output.

@kimyo, with Cypher2 you can achieve similar sounds, but a certain controller configuration is required.

Look into “MXR Model 126 Flanger Doubler”, it’s from the 70s and it might be the one.

the recording is actually more recent, the album was released in 2017.

and thanks, the mxr looks interesting. i downloaded a couple of bb flanger vst’s, will give them a whirl.

@Dutti67 - thanks - cypher2 has some very nice sounding presets which are in the same neighborhood. it seems like it will be a perfect partner for mg3.

i just wish i had a better solution than pedals to emulate continuous press modulation and slide modulation. these are used extensively in the demos i watched and they really make the sounds come alive. maybe i’ll go back to using force sensitive resistors, although i won’t be able to make those work on a per-note basis.

Parallel pitch-shifting with a controller can give an approximate result too.

It sounds like something Jan Hammer would do with Mahavishnu Orchestra. Not that I know how he did it, but maybe it can lead you in the right direction…

Yes,Jan Hammer used an Oberheim Ring Modulator
ob-rg

as well as a Oberheim Maestro Ring Modulator RM-1

maest

3 Likes