Input to MG3

Following the great video from LoFiLeif : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_OUNKdIE20
I come with a question :

I use the VG99 Guitar out to feed the Audio Card so I have a dedicated channel of supposedly direct clean guitar while retaining the processed VG99 sounds for other two channels so that I can record three channels at a time in my DAW (Ableton Live). So is the VG99 Guitar Out clean enough to drive MG3 or better using direct guitar to audio card connection?

Thanks !

1 Like

I am actually doing experiments with the clean GP10 audio out (first channels 1&2 of the 8 out I have over USB) and it is perfectly fine as input for MG3. I haven’t used my VG-99 in a while, but you should get a decent signal out of it I think. If I have time I’ll hook it up and give you a more definitive answer, if someone else doesn’t have the answer to it. :+1:

The advice is of course to use a few components as possible in your signal chain, thus limiting possible sources of noise introduction, so if you are asking about whether to use a chain including both the VG99 and the audio interface for your clean sound I really don’t see any gains. But if you are talking about the Clean VG99 OUT instead of an another audio interface I wouldn’t hesitate to try.

Thanks Man! Again great video! I am using VG99 Guitar Clean OUT into Audio Card (the same is present in GP10). It seems to work but I feel I got slightly better results with direct Guitar into Audio Card, but it can be biased feeling. In any case the clean guitar signal should be buffered, comes from 13 PIN cable. So it’s more a pure technical question following your video advice.

2 Likes

Thanks Pasha!
No, i absolutly think you are right, if you feel better results going directly into the audio interface, and the reason might very well be that horrid 13pin cable. With the testing I am doing now just touching that cable shows up as explicit interference. And try hitting it gently, it is crazy sensitive. :joy: In my tests I am using a normal guitar cable into the GP10 Guitar in, and go out to the computer over USB directly, so there are way noise in that signal chain. And with such a signal chain it is a toss up between using the clean GP10 Ch 1&2 or going via my Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB.
So as a technical answer to the question I would go with my video advice and say “No extra pedals”, and also mean to include the VG99 under pedals. Go directly into the Audio interface if possible. :+1:

But nothing will break if you feel like trying setting up another way!

Thanks. GP10 USB ground loop is somewhat annoying. If you power GP10 from a battery pack it gets better or you should get an USB ground filter. Here’s a thread on Vguitarforums :

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30581.msg224016#msg224016

Hope it helps

1 Like

Yes, it is “enough.” The direct audio out from the back of my VG-99 feeds the Hi-Z input of my audio interface – No issues.

You can also try using the mag guitar signal D.I. over USB with the VG-99. It works in Standard mode as well as Advanced. You can’t do that exactly the same way on the GP-10, though it is quite useful in other situations.

But, it all depends on what you’re trying to achieve. If you want processed VG-99 + MG3 in parallel you’re limited by the VG-99’s USB I/O and will need to use a second interface.

Thanks Luke, I am not using VG99 USB since at 24 bit needs a driver on Apple Silicon.
However I am curios about: using the mag guitar signal D.I. over USB with the VG-99. It works in Standard mode as well as Advanced. How is done?

Thanks
Pasha

I’m in Australia at the moment so don’t have my studio gear with me to refer to but, as I recall, you can select different sources for the USB signal under the USB settings in the VG-99 Editor…I’m sure it would be selectable from the unit too but I always use the software as my VG-99 is in a rack.

I can’t remember if it is a standard selection or if you choose say COSM A or B and then set the COSM signal to zero and the mag PU to 100. But either way it will work.

You can also pan the signal so you could get the D.I. on the L and something else on the R, or vice versa. The VG-99 is a Swiss Army tool for guitar.

1 Like

Thanks! My concern is that I am on Apple Silicon and VG99 USB driver (Advanced Mode 24 Bit + MIDI) does not exist. I can do it in Standard Mode - USB Compliant at 16 bit no MIDI as afar as I know. I think I was mistaken by reading D.I. (in my mind I had the image of a Direct Box). Now all clear, thanks.

1 Like

Don’t let the VG-99 do your P2M when MG3 can do it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to have a usb ground loop issue with the Jamstik guitar. The ground loop only occurred when plugging the Jamstik usb directly into my laptop. I eventually solved the issue by using a powered usb hub. It has to be a power supply based unit and not powered via the usb of laptop, etc. Currently using Boss GP-10 with no ground loop issues so far when going through the same powered usb hub. Worth trying this hookup to a laptop or desktop system.

1 Like

In all cases, whether for this type of problem or for greater system stability, it is always better to use a hub with external power supply delivering sufficiently high power (very important depending on the devices to be connected).
I use a 7 ports (3.0) + 1 charging port with a 5V/4A power supply.

1 Like