iOS 14.2 BETA - External midi output crash!

Thanks for reporting!

Please let me know, Are you also using iOS 14.2?
And why at kind of iOS device and audio interface you have.

i use 14.3 (updated yesterday).
i can set up to midi out - then cholse i.e. cubasis, but when i take my bass and play just one tone the app is closed.
i have an ipad pro 12,9“ 2017 and a behringer umc 202hd and a focusrite scarlett 18i20 (1.gen).

:wink:

Yes exactly the same when i play one note crash.

Ok, we will look into this now, installing 14.2 beta 3 on an iPad Pro.
I’ll let you know how it goes.

:+1: i‘ll wait for news…

there is a substitute functionality, it covers both midi 1 and the new midi 2 standard.
See: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/coremidi/3566495-midisourcecreatewithprotocol?language=occ

Aha. Thanks! That makes sense.

1 Like

Hey hello, some news?

Heeyyy I need and answer wtf? Since when i bought the app I cannot use it!!! And you take days every time for get an answer!! I’m not happy with this app! I will write a review about my experience with this I’m sorry

Sorry you are frustrated, but right now the best you can do is to install the official iOS 14 where things works normally. Beta means that things will break.

This is a new change from Apple and we are working to support it before 14.2 becomes official.

Given the number of people using iOS and GarageBand, many of them should have already report the issue here. This is why I would like to develop the discussion on several points applying for MacOS, iOS or Windows OS.

By definition, a beta version is instable and does not allow users to evaluate if a software works properly with it.
In my experience, I use an OS beta version in order to evaluate it, possibly to evaluate a third part application, but I have long since stopped working or playing live with a beta version (or with a recent update).

Even with a stable OS version you might still face problems or crashes related to various causes such as a third part plugin that used to work properly in MG2 with an older OS version and doesn’t work with a newer one, simply because the plugin itself has a bug that only manifested itself with the newer version.

Even installing a new product that (you would think) has nothing in common with MG2 could cause an issue if it replaces some shared libraries.

Device driver updates for hardware do not always work and if you have a controller that you use with MG2, the last thing you need is for it to stop working just as you start playing live.

For all those reasons, if a problem is discovered or if a crash happens, it is best to start by taking time to deal with it without stressing out by eliminating all of the possible causes before coming to the conclusion that, i.e., MG2 is causing the crash, even more so if it used to work fine before.

And of course - forgive me for repeating myself here - it is essential to start by using an OS stable version and MG2 with no third part plugin to check its proper functioning.

I hope it will help to resolve the issue

OK, everybody is responding politely to this tool but I’ll tell it like it is. Using a beta for live work is the height of stupidity. I’d guess dolphins have a higher IQ than people who would try to gig with a device running a beta OS. You get fired in the real music world when you don’t know how to manage your equipment on a gig.

And why be rude/threatening to the development/support people? It’s YOU that did something blatantly foolish. Get iOS 14.1 on your device and get back to work.

1 Like

I was never rude or impolite to anyone, I explained my dissatisfaction with the application that I bought and that it did not work anymore in a beta version of the operating system that supports it, yes, I did not imagine that it would stop working like that, but well it happened and I did not receive messages more than every 3 days, as if between apple and the application they were deciphering a top secret code of war haha ​​that made me desperate a little bit, and I offer apologies if someone was felling offended with my frustration. and neither argue to be the most professional. if you are a super professional and you never made mistakes on your way to the supposed success that you have today as the most professional !! I am very pleased, I hope Nobody has called you stupid for your past mistakes when you learned everything you know today. and hopefully nobody calls you stupid for your possible mistakes of the present or future. respect to you. and your unprofessionalism that you show without having empathy for those of us who are learning to be as good as you :slight_smile: cheers

Manuelolvera25,

If you put as much time into rolling back your iOS device as you do into your confused replies you would be enjoying MG2 right now.

My professionality or mistakes are not in question here. However your rude and threatening language is. Let’s give you some benefit of the doubt and simply say that you should be taught that your words have meanings that you seem to be unaware of:

1. “Heeyyy I need and answer wtf?” = rude
  2. “I will write a review about my experience with this” = threatening

I shouldn’t have to explain any of this to you but perhaps your parents didn’t teach you any social skills or manners.

Hh come on man!! Now it turns out that when I say that I will write a review because I do not receive an answer to the question of something that I do not know about technical issues when using a smartphone in a live event, it is threatening! sorry if the reviews are not good always in your brother crystal world, where to read wtf. it can break you. but it doesn’t have to be like that always, reviews are made precisely so that companies can get feedback from their users, but from what I see you prefer me to write things that only flatter and say that we all know as much as you do about music ! It is not like that brother, if my answers are confusing it is because English is not my mother tongue and I do not speak this language well and yet I try to express my ideas. Sorry if we don’t all speak perfect English like you and if we don’t all know all the technical details of an iOS live act professional like you! but your little empathy and your rude way towards me, belittling me, (and look, you didn’t need rudeness to be rude to me and yet you were) makes me not want to comment on any application again so that they can have feedback, ( You know that thanks to my ignoring your comment, they can realize that there are problems and solve them. At last that’s what beta versions are for.) If nobody installed the beta version, you might have problems with your official versions. in the end sorry if with my bad English and my horrible threats and with wtf? I offended your fragile susceptibility brother. good night.

And you know? In the end you don’t helped in anything!! You just make me more angry with your rude way, and now thanks to you I will write my review in AppStore about my experience with the app and this forum when the people response after 4 or 5 days. Because no exist another way to contact direct with them and the users like you come and call you idiot for don’t be a profesional and don’t know that it will not work, and for don’t speak really good English in a really hostile way. Thanks to you for help to guitar midi to make more pleasant my experience to bought with them :+1:t3:

We are thankful for reports like this, so that we can fix things!

App developers get the new iOS BETAs at the same time as everyone else, and the purpose of this is that app developers have time to catch up to Apple before the official release and end users gets affected. We cant prevent things from breaking if you use an iOS beta unless Apple would give us a meta-pre-beta before the beta, for us to ensure that the beta will work.

We have looked into this crash yesterday and the BETA iOS 14.2 is really a no go for now. Not only does MIDI Guitar needs an update, but all synths apps will also need to be updated because receiving midi has changed as well, including Garageband.

We will try to push out a MG BETA within a few days.

The good news is that MIDI 2.0 is now going to be supported by iOS once the change propagate out by developers and that opens up for new possibilities.

Dude, please…Would you like me to say, “Sorry for hurting your precious feelings, friend” :laughing: ???

Manuel’s steps to MG2 success:

1. iOS beta program rollbacks are fairly easy to roll back. Do the rollback;
  2. Reinstall MG2 and whatever else you need – it might take a while but is the quickest option you have at this stage;
  3. Get on with playing some music on your supported OS!
  4. Don’t do beta testing on a device that you gig with.

SOLVED!!! but wait…

1. Spend 2 minutes in self-reflection.

The developers/community have been more than polite and helpful to you. I called you out for being rude and threatening but you say I’m “hostile” and that’s a reflection on the entire community? Might it not be that you were rude and threatening? It’s the internet…I didn’t hit you with a brick.

And come on…Making excuses for 2nd language use is weak. I use two languages every day and I know even in my second language (which is really not easy for me) what words and expressions will get people offside with me – especially if I’m the one asking for help! Might you be making excuses?

Wow, you came for MIDI Guitar 2 help but you left with so much more :slight_smile:

The issue has been addressed in the latest BETA:

3 Likes

Thank you so much JamO :slight_smile: