iOS MIDI input functionality

Hi Jam! I understand that it’s stated that MIDI input functionality is limited in MIdi Guitar 2, but can you explain the detail of what that means? Can the midi input channel be selected? Does it only listen in Omni mode?

Thanks for your help!

you can control the sustain and transpose pedal in MG with the controller you select in the “MIDI Pedal” selector. It listens to any channel if I recall correctly.
Program changes are also supported, but there is a quirk there: the Program Changes are forwarded to the loaded (AU) synths, and when that synth reacts to the program change, the MG preset data is overruled, by the local synths preset. This is to be fixed in the next MG for iOS update.

Thanks Paul. Is selectable MIDI input channel also on the radar? Since I have multiple MIDI devices(currently on 3 different channels), MG2 responding to all messages makes it useless as messages that I send to other devices get acted on by MG2.

you’re mixing up channels with ports: MG will listen to 1 port: that means 1 pedal or 1 virtual midi device. Channels exist within each port.

I don’t think so. Here’s my setup from a midi standpoint.

5pin DIN MIDI: Line 6 Helix -> Strymon Big Sky -> Eventide H9

USB MIDI: Helix -> USB hub -> CCK -> iPad
MIDI Baby (into hub) ^^^^

Helix(CH 1) sends MIDI PCs to Big Sky(CH 2) and H9(CH 3) via 5pin DIN
Helix can also send the same MIDI info via USB (iPad in this case). I can turn it on or off in global settings.

MG acts like it is responding all PCs sent to any channel and is changing when it sees the PCs meant for Big Sky or H9.

Most synths or other midi devices allow you to select whether they respond to all messages(Omni) or just watch one midi channel.

Maybe most importantly the MIDI command center in Helix sends multiple messages per selection. In other words, a particular patch(or snapshot) in Helix can send PC 5 to channel 2, PC 15 to channel 3, etc… I use this extensively to switch the external effects.

your request is noted.
Sofar we have tried to keep thing as simple as possible: we have a lot of novice midi users, and their demands are quiet opposite to the more expert users…
Our desktop version is more tuned to those expert users, and therefore also has a omni/channel selector in the midi input.
I think the channel chooser can be added, but I dont know wehn yet.
There are midi utility apps that can create a midi port out of a channel, this would fix your problem for now.

Thank you, Paul! I really appreciate the huge amount of work that goes into doing this type of product . Your responsiveness and communication is great!

1 Like