Issues with MIDI routing

Hi guys!

I have a new problem, in this wonderful world of MIDI technology :slight_smile:

I am trying to seperate my MIDI Guitar 2 instances by MIDI channel, in Ableton Live 11. But the input doesn’t appear on my 16 MIDI channel list. (https://imgur.com/a/tLiIJCC)

Instead I have to select the audio channel as the input, making MIDI routing much harder. (https://imgur.com/a/NvMl2nY)

Any advice on how to make MIDI Guitar 2 appear on my 16 MIDI channel list?

Hello Ashley, welcome here :slightly_smiling_face:

The MIDI channel list, as the name suggests, displays all MIDI instruments and effects.
Although MG can integrate or trigger midi instruments or effects, MG is not a MIDI instrument so it cannot be included in this list.
MG is an audio device so it must be inserted in an audio track.
On the other hand, its functionality of converting audio signals into midi data allows it to address these data to a midi track by auxiliary sends to midi tracks.

The opposite example: it’s like if you want to send midi data from a synth to an audio track, it can’t work.

1 Like

Hey Herold!

Thank you so much for the answer, that makes sense :slight_smile:

I was just trying to run multiple instances of MIDI Guitar 2, so that I could have multiple instruments on my guitar at once. I’m guessing this isn’t possible then?

I even copied all the steps from this video at 5:10 (MIDI Guitar 2.2.1 and Fretboard Zones - The Ranger script - YouTube), but as you can see from my screenshots, I don’t get the same results. (I want to achieve what is shown at 7:35 in that video)

Thanks again :slight_smile:

It seems that @LoFiLeif he does it very well, but I don’t know Ableton at all, so I can not help you.

The first thing I see in your screenshot is that you have inserted MDA Piano into the MG plugin. This is not useful and will add to the cpu load of the computer.
The selection of a midi instrument will be done in the channel list and it’s the MG audio inserted in an aux send to the midi track that will trigger the selected instrument

The video explains well the different ways to use several midi instruments with MG. He talks about the different ways of splitting ranges of notes assigned to different instruments.

For example, you might decide to set midi channel 1 = bass midi instrument playing from C-2 to B-1, and midi channel 2 = piano midi instrument playing from C0 to C5.

• Either you use one MG audio instance per instrument and select notes range in each midi track, which increases the cpu load by multiplying the number of tracks containing MG instance.

• Or you use a single MG instance but insert in a MG Midi FX slot a Midi Machine script that will split the note ranges by selecting the note that will send all the lower notes to one midi channel and the higher notes to another midi channel.

I prefer to use the latter method as it is lighter and easier to manage visually (see the “Channel Split” script, there are other such scripts concerning splits, channel selection, etc).

I am not familiar with MG used in daws as I use it live, integrated in a plugin host (Gig Performer), it is a completely different environment, designed for editing plugin chains but also including audio and midi track players.

1 Like

I can’t thank you and LofiLeif enough!

Through both of your wisdom + a bit more reading on Ableton routing in general, I was able to get it working! (for example, I didn’t know I had to enable a setting to monitor multiple tracks at once haha)

Me and my dad just had a lovely moment, listening to him play Blackbird with a full orchestra on the guitar :slight_smile:

Again, thank you both for the help! Glad I found such a great community

1 Like

We are here to help each other.
Feel free to ask questions or suggest tips if you discover any. :wink:

2 Likes