Latency

Good afternoon everyone, is there a latency problem with the Midi Guitar 2 software?

Hi @Adriano_Costa
Welcome here, to begin with. :handshake:
There is no secret that there is latency involved in the Audio to MIDI translation process generally, and it is also acknowledged to be a factor in MIDI Guitar 2. If it is a “problem” or not, is mostly a question of user perspective, if you can “work through” or get over the initial feeling of unease or discomfort. I did a video on it a while ago, where I go over some things that might be of interest to you?

1 Like

Hello Adriano, welcome here :slightly_smiling_face:

To give some brief information by way of example, here are some figures from my computer

MG itself induces very low latency: the CPU consumption is less than 1% when not playing and with no plugin loaded.

However, the more audio and midi plugins you add, the more latency will increase.
It will be more or less high depending on the plugin used: some plugins are very greedy in cpu cycles, others are very well coded and generate very little latency.

An example tested on my machine (Windows 11, intel i5)

• audio plugins: Deep Expressor+JS9 Screamer+Tube Amp+Cabinet 2
  • MIDI plugins: MDA Piano+Chorus
  • Mixer: Delay+Reverb
  • Midi FX: Sustain+Transposer

With buffer size set at 64 samples / 44,1 kHz, the CPU consumption is then 3% on average.

But some plugins I won’t name :wink: force me to set the buffer size up to 256 samples so as not to exceed 60% CPU consumption and to avoid crackles or glitch.
256 samples is still a very tolerable value even on percussive instruments.

2 Likes

Boa tarde a todos, muito obrigado pelas explicações, farei muitos testes com o Midi Guitar 2, quando obtiver bons resultados acerca de latência mínima, compartilharei, boa música a todos!

2 Likes

no, this is not correct.
The more audio and midi plugins you add, the more the CPU consumption will increase.
this will however not affect the latency! As long as your CPU isn’t overloaded and starts crackling, the latency stays allways the same.

• the latency of the normal guitar signal is governed by the buffersizes, just like with any other music app.
  • the latency of the generated midi however and therefore the loaded synths is much higher, roughly 20 to 40 ms, because that is the time it needs to detect the notes.

Yes you are true when you say that this sentence is not correct:

I shortened the explanation too much. I should have specified:
“because it will be necessary to increase the buffer size to avoid crackles”

Thank you for correcting this error which can lead to a misunderstanding of the latency mechanism.

1 Like

I downloaded the trial version of Guitar Midi to test it on my I7 windows 10 cubase 12 with 128samples (3ms latency), and I have a noticeable latency, only with Guitar midi plugin, without any other vst on my project , I tested many vst instruments to see if the latency has changed , even when I choose an instrument patch from the guitar midi itself like the banjo or something else still the latency is noticeable to my ears , is it a problem or that it is something I need to live with if I buy the software?

is the latency similar to when you use mg2 in standalone mode?

or is it worse when running mg2 in cubase?

Midi Guitar has no lantency, it is only a converter.
The midi track converted by MG may have some latency depending on the complexity of the midi instrument, hence the usefulness of the “Sync” button in the Mixer window which allows you to add a delay to the audio to synchronise with the midi instrument.

But there should be no latency in the audio used in MG.
In my daw (Reaper), inserting MG in post-FX, there is however a latency, but only of 1 ms.