Mainstage software inst. won’t create keyboard

I’m trying to use mainstage instruments with MG2 as a plug-in in the channel strips. The problem I keep having while following the video instructions is a missing keyboard in the list of inputs for the software instrument in Mainstage. First I create an audio channel strip with dry guitar and load MG2 in the channel strip. Then I create a software instrument channel strip but the input “keyboard” which is supposed to be automatically created is not in the list of options. How do I get this to appear? I have gotten it working before with a new concert however when I try to add this to an existing concert I’ve been working on it won’t show up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but currently when I try it’ll have several keyboards listed starting with number 2 on up and it’ll say “missing” next to each one. I only hope this isn’t one of those obvious problems that’s gonna make me look like an idiot. Lol help:)

Hi Gregg! I’m sorry to see that there isn’t any answers to your very understandable question. Hopefully you have already found a solution to your problem, and then this will be for anyone else with the same problems. I have, however, been doing a little video for the new MG2/Mainstage 3 users, and I came to notice exactly the same confusing “missing Keyboards” dilemma you are describing. I believe something has happened in some update somewhere, because I had been working with my patches and concerts without any issues at all, until one day; utter weirdness. I had no time then to look into that but as I checked things out now I at least came to a (workable) solution. In the "Instrument channel strip inspector that appear once you click/mark a strip, the MIDI Input tab, you have the assigned keyboard for that particular strip (instrument). For some reason all my old patches are Keyboard 2 (missing), and the only thing I could do was to change that keyboard to Keyboard 1 (in that very list) and resave the patch. I don’t know why this is, but it certainly was the easiest solution.

1 Like