MG3 Pitch Bender - How it works?

With access to MG3 Beta comes a lot of new experimentation on my side, especially on those areas that I never used in MG2. I play keyboards a little so I am accustomed to MIDI, Pitch Bender, Modulation Wheel and CC. So far I have mapped some external MIDI gear (Switch and Pedal) to MG3 and in turn to MIDI Machines. Transpose is very useful to obtain an Octave Jump during a synth solo.
However when using Master Keyboard I cannot use the Pitch Bender to alter the Pitch in real time.
MPE senses PB messages in a polyphonic way but I’d like to map the Pitch Bender of my Master Keyboard to be passed to the instrument selected in a chain but I did not find a way. How this is possible if possible? I’d use a Roland EV5 Pedal (that works great with CC1,CC2,CC11)** but I cannot find a way.
Is this even possible? Being PB a message and not a CC do I need a MIDI Machine to mimic PB behavior ? Transpose comes to my mind as I used it but Pitch Bender is not chromatic in nature and sometimes I’d like to reproduce the same effect.

Let me know.
Paolo

** EV5 is hooked to MIDI Commander then via USB to Computer.

What you want to do depends a lot on the VST instrument and plugin you are using. If a plugin doesn’t support the pitch bend function also MG3 can’t make it “bending”. If you are using a plugin that has pitch bend there are several different approaches to realize the scenario you described. I would rather use the EV5 pedal and assign a cc number to it.
E.g. in Kontakt you can transform any cc into pitch bend. In the example below I marked the relevant buttons and fields.

Push “KSP” and select the preset "Factory > Transform > Transformer

Choose the cc number of your EV5, select the channels and “pitch bend” as target of the transformation.

In other samplers it works similar, some VSTi’s have Midi learn functions even for pitch bend > there is always a way.

Thanks.
From what I understand in MG3 we do not capture PB Messages from an external source and pass it unaltered to an instrument in a chain. PB is always possible if you map a pedal to a CC and then it all depends on the VSTi or AU itself, is out of the control of MG3. Because PB is not generated by the Guitar it’s not a message that goes through MG3 right? That’s why we need to use an CC / an external translator as a proxy for PB, right?

Thanks a lot for reply and explanation.
Pasha

1 Like

MG3 of course generates pitch bend messages when you bend any guitar string. This information is permanently used.

MIDI Guitar 3 is translating any note that comes in into Velocity, Pressure, Brightness and Pitch, (where Pitch is to be understood as Pitch+Pitch BEND).

Here: an F with a PB 8350

Skärmavbild 2024-04-16 kl. 17.21.15

Pitch bend is a per-note-property sent together VEL, PRESS, CC74 on any of the MIDI Channels 2-7 that is in use.

Here is a five-note chord:

Thanks!
I have seen those messages incoming and MPE opens a lot of possibilities.
However one thing is using a Whammy Bar (decoded as you showed in poly mode) another is using a Pitch Bender which can do +1 Oct or - 1 Oct with continuous pitch variations.
So far there’s no PB Message generated by Guitars as there’s no Pitch Bender HW available (although some solution exists) on Guitars, even if PB Messages are generated with every note and used and consumed by MPE.

If you are interested in modulating pitch I recommend you start with the Retuning module. It allows for connecting a pedal/controller to it via CC and manipulate any single note or even group of notes in real time.

In the example below I have a group of notes directly connected to my breathcontroller, and another group (the rest of the notes controlled via the invert modulator connected to my bite function. This way, I can have notes within the same chord move in opposite directions.

2 Likes

That’s Cool!
I will try it!

LoFiLeiF has always a trick in the hat :slight_smile: Thanks a lot!

1 Like

I have a basic question about those lovely wire connections. If I happen to connect something, for example by mistake, how to get rid of the wire connection again?

The standard for removing cables/wires is “long press”, but this doesn’t seem to work here. So maybe this is something for the to-do list @JamO ?

For now, if we make any mistakes, we reload the modules.

Are you sure?? It works fine here.

Another way to remove a cable is to hoover the mouse over the target connector and press the backspace keyboard key.

From the RETUNING module note connections as well? Does not work here using any method.

Ah, thanks. I put it on the todo list.

1 Like

Thanks. “long press” works here and now (if i’m able to hit the wire where it’s sensitive to a long press). And hitting backspace at the target connection works perfect here, which seems faster and more accurate compared to “long press”.