MG3, SWAM and TEC Breath Controller

First of all, many thanks to Ole, Jam Origin for the immense effort in developing this new MG3 version. It promises to be pure science fiction, thank you so so so much !!! And thanks to LoFiLeif for your invaluable and generous explanations.

In principle I will only comment that I cannot get the TEC breath controller to work and transmit the signal to the instruments, in this case Swam Audio Modeling, although I have tried it on others and it does not work either. The midi signal from the breath controller is displayed on the MG3 interface , green signal and channel 2 ok, but has no effect on the instrument.

Is this happening to anyone else?

3 Likes

Thank you, Chema for your support over the years :pray:

As for breach controllers @LoFiLeiF is the expert.

2 Likes

My breath controller works just fine.
I suppose you’re running in standalone? Have you exposed the respective parameters via the MG3 interface and connected the BBC with the virtual cable?

Hey @ChemaV

I have never had a problem with the TEControl BBC2 and MG3, so I assume that it is just a transitional thing with the new interface. It does in fact demand a little more actual routing now, but with the advantage of flexibility and precision that is really the best I have come across. So, let’s start in the beginning: could you post a picture of the way you connect?

I usually set up in one of two ways with any SWAM instrument:
First, for the old legacy MIDI with bend range 2, and a connection to CC2 in the SWAM instrument.

Or an MPE instrument SWAM preset, where I use a bend range of 48, and I connect my breath controller directly to Pressure for expression.

Are you connecting like this too?

1 Like

Thanks so much JamO, Prehm, LoLiLeiF, with your advice and image I fix it. I did the virtual connections for Expression, Flutter and Growl controls of Swam and now it is working ok.

THANKS !!! :hugs::guitar::sunrise:

3 Likes

Great!
I see you are using CC14?
I would not use CC14 or CC15 in any setup, because these are assigned to patch UP/DOWN by default in midi guitar 3. Using any of them, and you are bound to have all kinds of trouble as soon as you start using a lot of presets.
If this is for BBC2 TILT or NOD I would suggest you use 12 and 13 instead. :grinning:

(You can of course use BBC2 on CC13 and still connect to CC14 in the SWAM instrument. They don’t have to match. This is what makes this setup so flexible)

2 Likes

Yes, that¨s right, I will change to 12 and 13, thanks so much !!!:pray:t2::sunrise::hugs:

2 Likes

Excuse my clumsiness, but I don’t know how to activate the breath controller when used through Cubase. With version 2 I didn’t have any problem but in MG 3 I’m not at all clear how to activate those functions so, the vst instrument, in this case swam, receives expresion, growl,etc Thank you very much for your help !!

I don’t know Cubase well enough to guide you here, but isn’t it pretty much as with most other DAWs? If you set up MG3 on an Audio track and use the MIDI Guitar MINI patch, you should be able to use something like “All MIDI IN” on the Software track you have your SWAM instrument on.
You are NOT going via MG3 with your breathcontroller in this case. It is rather coming in on your software track directly, and to set the SWAM instrument up, you choose the appropriate MIDI mapping preset first and then go into the MAPPING table and change the parameters you are interested in controlling to the CCs you know you are sending out from your breathcontroller.

1 Like

First create a audio track with MG3 as plugin insert (monitor button ON).
Create an instrument track with the SWAM plugin. Select MG3 as input (monitor ON).
Create a MIDI track with your breath controller as input and the swam instrument track as output (monitor ON). Make the MIDI controller adjustments in SWAM and you are good to go.

3 Likes

@Dutti67 :pray:

@ChemaV And check/change the Pitchbende range on the MG3 plugin if you are using
anything else than a MPE preset from the SWAM MIDI mappings, of course.

1 Like

Thanks so much for offering such a detailed explanation @Dutti67 and @LoFiLeiF , everything is working like a charm right now. I’m looking forward to sharing some videos very soon.

3 Likes