Jam Origin

>> MIDI Guitar & MIDI Bass user forum

Midi Guitar 2 Standalone is a CPU Hog--Why?

I don’t have issues with Midi Guitar 2 used within a DAW, but when used standalone, it is unable to use those same synth and effects that I use within a DAW with no issues. I would think that the standalone would use less resources than an entire DAW loaded with vsts, but this is not the case. I hope you work on improving the efficiency of the Midi Guitar 2 program, before you start piling it up with new (and in my view, unnecessary) features as deep effects, cabinets, reverbs. I love your program, but I think you should focus on improving the core audio to midi functionality and not on adding more features to an already Standalone program that performs poorly on even the best of CPUs.

we havent had complaints about our standalone’s performance sofar: it is used often by our users.
What buffersize and samplerate do you use?
Our app’s features only cost any CPU when they are active.

“we havent had complaints about our standalone’s performance sofar” Well, I guess I’m the first one–do I win a prize? I realize that I can increase the buffer size to mitigate the problem, but that is the point I am trying to make: the standalone software isn’t able to handle the lower buffer sizes that a DAW is able to handle. As far as no complaints on performance, I see a multitude of bug reports all over this forum which touch on the performance issues of Midi Guitar 2, but a majority of the time these concerns are deflected. Stop gaslighting users and fix your software. I’ll add one more bug (that I’m sure is the first time you are hearing about it): when switching from Polyphonic to Monophonic mode, the velocity of the notes is increased requiring an attenuation of the midi gain setting. Should I compile a list of the at least a dozen of bugs and performance issues that I’ve found in your software?

Our standalone doesn’t have cpu loadbalancing like the DAW’s mostly have, that’s maybe something for the future. For now MG runs on 1 CPU core.
Most issues reported here are not related to CPU perfromance, but to the limits how well a polyphonic converter can work (speed and accuracy). It can not be 100% perfect, so that is the point were we might be “deflecting”, to say it in your words.
Your performance complaint can only be fixed by loadbalancing: we’ll have to see if that is feasible to add.

I have used Midi Guitar 2 on 3 different machines. IBM PC desktop (4 years old) and a 3 year old IBM Windows laptop, and currently an 8 year old Macbook. I have encountered no issues with performance. This app performs better than my Fishman Tripleplay. Perhaps your machine has some issues, or other apps are using resources?

My hardware is just fine, no issues. I run cpu intensive plugins and Jam Origin’s non-load balancing, one cpu core standalone software can’t handle it. Nothing wrong on my end. Maybe Jam Origin will in the future improve the software so that it takes advantage of the capabilities of modern computers. It works great as a plugin, just not as a standalone application for my needs. So back to the DAW I go.

Are you on a Mac? You can run it inside Mainstage. I was running standalone, and I am now running in Mainstage. I see what you are saying now though. Didnt understand at first, it is the plugins then. Okay. Yeah I dont run any intensive plugins at all

Yes, I have no performance issues with it running it as vst plugin within various daws and vst hosts–Reaper, Ableton, Cantabile, VSTHost. I’m on a PC running Windows 10. That is why I would like a stripped down version that does the audio to midi conversion and nothing else–that is what draws people to this software and not all of the other superfluous additions. People aren’t spending $100 for deep expressor, sound font player, and their included amp sims and cabinets. I hope they stop over-engineering it and focus on giving us the best and fastest polyphonic audio to midi conversion without a hexaphonic pickup. The standalone software is not suited for hosting cpu intensive vsts and modelling software as it is limited to just one cpu core (unless as Paul says you start bumping up the buffer which defeats the purpose of MG2 which is fast pitch to midi conversion). I guess the company thinks you need a lot of these other additions to justify the $100. But if you keep adding stuff to it, and end up degrading the performance further, people will end up jumping ship and paying an extra $125 for hexaphonic pitch to midi hardware. Just my two cents. I want this product to succeed but I don’t like where it is at or where my gut tells me it is going.