Midi Guitar 2 Standalone is a CPU Hog--Why?

I don’t have issues with Midi Guitar 2 used within a DAW, but when used standalone, it is unable to use those same synth and effects that I use within a DAW with no issues. I would think that the standalone would use less resources than an entire DAW loaded with vsts, but this is not the case. I hope you work on improving the efficiency of the Midi Guitar 2 program, before you start piling it up with new (and in my view, unnecessary) features as deep effects, cabinets, reverbs. I love your program, but I think you should focus on improving the core audio to midi functionality and not on adding more features to an already Standalone program that performs poorly on even the best of CPUs.

we havent had complaints about our standalone’s performance sofar: it is used often by our users.
What buffersize and samplerate do you use?
Our app’s features only cost any CPU when they are active.

Our standalone doesn’t have cpu loadbalancing like the DAW’s mostly have, that’s maybe something for the future. For now MG runs on 1 CPU core.
Most issues reported here are not related to CPU perfromance, but to the limits how well a polyphonic converter can work (speed and accuracy). It can not be 100% perfect, so that is the point were we might be “deflecting”, to say it in your words.
Your performance complaint can only be fixed by loadbalancing: we’ll have to see if that is feasible to add.

I have used Midi Guitar 2 on 3 different machines. IBM PC desktop (4 years old) and a 3 year old IBM Windows laptop, and currently an 8 year old Macbook. I have encountered no issues with performance. This app performs better than my Fishman Tripleplay. Perhaps your machine has some issues, or other apps are using resources?

Are you on a Mac? You can run it inside Mainstage. I was running standalone, and I am now running in Mainstage. I see what you are saying now though. Didnt understand at first, it is the plugins then. Okay. Yeah I dont run any intensive plugins at all

I have very similar problems with MG2 in that it saturates CPU both as a standalone and even as an AU plugin on Mac OS. I am attempting to run Kontakt 5 multis within it. I’ve also used it with Mainstage 3 and Reaper - but it just doesn’t seem to have enough system capacity in terms of bandwidth. The Midi Guitar 2 app hits tilt in CPU long before Kontakt 5 does. I know that a lot of effort has gone into the IOS version - but still - these are all more attempts at system parallelism, whereas, the software is not really attempting to utilize it at present. Maybe, RISC versions will help it, but I can only think that efforts (such as load balancing) can only help the bandwidth issues before us with current multi-core systems.

1 Like

This is really not a common problem, but I believe what you experience is more related to the graphics / user interface, than the audio processing. The tracking is running fine, even on old systems. But we see on some systems with retina / high DPI screens that the drawing of the user interface actually causing higher load than the audio processing. That could explain why the standalone causing higher load than the plugin (if the plugin UI is closed).
This is unreasonable, of course. The UI is mostly static, but with retina / high DPI screens there are just a lot of pixels to push around. For this reason the iOS and Mac Store versions are made with a new GPU accelerated rendering and its coming to the plugin version as well. The entire plugin industry was using CPU rendering but are slowly transitioning into GPU based (opengl, metal).
All that said I use MG on the very first retina MacBook Pro (from 2012) daily, without problems.

Also, if you load up other of MGs built in effects (Tube Amp and Reverb in particular) are quite heavy (each similar to the poly tracking perhaps) but in line with other tube amps and convolution reverbs.

If you use a DAW, it might split up each plugin on a separate CPU core, but at the cost of one or two buffersizes of additional latency. We will add this as an option inside MG for the future.

3 Likes