MIDI Guitar 3 Introduction - a first look inside

JamOrigin is soon releasing MIDI Guitar 3 for the first round of beta testing, starting with MacOS platform users.

13 Likes

Thanks for the video, I am eagerly awaiting my beta test version. Just a quick question, how does the tracking speed for basic noteOn/noteOff information compare to MG2? In my testing, using MG2 in various setups, I was never able to get below about 40 ms with MG2 (ie. about 40 ms from the onset of a note to the midi information being transmitted and received). I am on a first gen. M1 computer. I am not sure if running MG2 in Rosetta2 mode influences this latency, my feeling is that it does not, but I did not do precise latency tests before switching to ARM processors so I can’t really know if was better on Intel macs. I also assume that some of the latency adheres from the IAC bussing and is thus outside the control of MG. Any info on this both regarding MG2 and MG3 is most welcome. Thanks for a great product.

I am on a first gen M1 Max (Studio) as well, and I can’t say I feel a difference playing the incoming audio and some of my instruments. But it is so much a question of your picking/triggering style, what instruments you use, and a bunch of different factors. It is probably best if I don’t say that much, since the opportunity of forming your own opinion based on things that matter (for real) is literally only moments away. :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t think the picking style has much influence on my tests of playing one note at a time and seeing how long it takes for midi to come back. The way you pick the string might influence the very onset of the note but very soon, in much much less time than 40ms - no matter how you pick (unless you do special fx stuff, like scraping the string) - the note settles into a periodic signal. Of course this get’s more complex with polyphony and if I track in monophonic mode the latency is slightly less but not by a lot. Anyways, I am hoping this latency is improved upon in MG3.

Aaah. Here we go—woohoo.

I just gave it a try (on bass, as customary). More meaningful feedback to come, but this is pretty much magic. The MPE capabilities are incredible, I like the interface (even though some of the knobs turn a little too fast and fluidly for my taste), and it seems to do much better with accidental noises and even minor seconds. I am extremely impressed. If it could cover the same range as Midi Bass, I am not sure I’d have much of a need for hardware solutions anymore.

2 Likes

Hi. Great to hear you are trying MG3 beta and will read other beta testers comments also.

MG3 may be ground breaking in terms of latency issues with many players comments on the web about MG2.

I only use MG2 demo at the moment as I knew an update would be released in the future and is now being finalised by beta testers and Jamorigin.

I will no doubt purchase MG3 as this is what I have been craving for while using the Fender GC-1 Roland Mexico Stratocaster with a Roland GR55 midi controller to compare with as I can mix both normal coil pickups with Midi at the same time.

I have also installed the MG-2 midi pickup model no GK KIT GT3 to another Strat style guitar as they are more suited because of the individual saddle distance and height adjustments using the 2 grub screws being in tolerances of 1.0mm height and the saddle distance adjustments to the Roland GT3 6 individual pickup magnets. The guitar must be perfectly in tune including string height, intonation and distances from 6 individual saddles and also may benefit from a locking nut etc, or the Gibson fender robot tuners which I have installed on several guitars and have been using for a few years without complaint, have read the reviews of users who experienced issues and removed them from their guitar and replaced with normal locking tuners.

I purchased spares for the Gibo robots, batteries, machine heads and chargers and have not needed to use them as yet and I use the system everyday.

Quality components on a guitar make a huge difference to sound and tracking.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts and comments on MG3 when you test it and it’s finally released by Jamorigin.

I am not affiliated with Roland, Gibson, Jamosapien or any other company. I am a basic guitar player that has little knowledge or experience in electronics or modifying instruments, my knowledge comes from researching the web, putting ideas and steps in order and giving it a shot.

If you decide to install a system, research, develop ideas and give it a go or contact a guitar luthier and if it’s a vintage or expensive instrument I would not modify it as you will lose value.

If you have passion, confidence and are positive in an Idea, you will succeed.

Any comments positive and more negative are most welcomed.

Regards,

John

1 Like

@Jake1

You don’t have to wait for MG3 if your plan is to buy it after its release. Go ahead and buy MG2 right now because the upgrade to MG3 will be for free.
This allows you to gain initial experience that you will later benefit from in MG3 too.

A guitar should always be set up as well as possible, not just if you want to do “Guitar to MIDI” conversion. In my opinion a good guitar doesn’t need tuning robots (they would bother me) because it doesn’t go out of tune that easy as long as the ambient conditions don’t fluctuate too much.
For the well known brand guitars it makes also a huge difference in quality depending in which country they were produced.
So, I would not count too much on the name but rather on the assembly factory.
I personally also have no problem to route cavities in any guitar to install components, no matter how much it did cost. I want to play with it and modify it to my needs. Then it has the highest value for me. The “shelf” value is not interesting for me since I never would sell any guitar I made for myself or modified for my use.

The good thing is that for MG2 or MG3 you don’t need any “destructive” modifications, just a guitar that has a certain quality and feels good in your hands!

2 Likes