MIDI Guitar 3 & MainStage 4, setup for both audio signal (& processing) & Software Instrument routing

Hi all,

I am using MIDI Guitar’s latest version 3.0.74 (Mac) on my MBPro M3. I use MainStage 4, & I am trying to set it up for:

  1. guitar signal processing, amp modeling, etc. via a Guitar template

  2. MIDI Guitar-triggered software instruments via a Keyboard template

… I have been successful in setting up the above two uses independently, but, is there a way to get both on the same MainStage project? I haven’t been able to figure out how to for example add MIDI Guitar to trigger my software instruments in the very same file that I already have the guitar audio signal working in.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @EdMart, my immediate intuitive response is that the simple answer is to put one instance (MIDI Guitar MINI preset for triggering synths) at the concert level and then use individual instances on a per-preset basis for guitar modeling, etc. You could even use two instances at the top level depending on exactly what you want to do.

That said, I spent a fair bit of time working with MainStage and MIDI Guitar 3 last year in more integrated manner. My whole approach was driven by wanting to have MIDI Guitar 3 at the top level only, then change presets via program change at the patch level, and send those messages back to the concert level MG3 instance to change its presets/routing.

Frankly, I found MainStage to be a somewhat illogically executed piece of software. I couldn’t tell you how many roadblocks I met when working with it that required way too much mental energy to work around.

The end result was that I moved over to GigPerformer5, which has its own quirks, but is for the most part well thought out and executed.

Anyway, for a more precise response I think you’d probably need to give a bit more information on how you actually have your project configured. Let us know.

1 Like

Many thanks for your thoughts & ideas. I am somewhat new to MainStage, so I am also trying to first learn it, & deal with its idiosyncrasies, which seems like you’ve had to do as well.

I have looked into GigPerformer as well as Steinberg’s Live VST (I think that is what it is called), just in case I decide to switch later on. Another option for me is to just use Logic Pro, as my live performance requirements are minimal at the moment. I am more interested in being able to get in my home studio both the acoustic + effect sounds, with an added layer of MIDI Guitar-triggered software instruments, which I have a couple of templates for in Logic Pro.

Regards.

If you seek simplicity, you might be best suited to using MG3 in standalone. It’s hosting capabilities are probably sufficient.

Bear in mind the benefits of MainStage may be too great to sacrifice:

  • gapless patch switching
  • built-in synth instruments
  • built-in effects

I’d really need to know more specifics before I could offer any further assistance.

1 Like

Thanks. Worth considering those options too. I am not sure where this will go for me, but appreciate the thoughts you have shared. I am sure to post further questions if/when they arise.

1 Like