Midi Guitar 3 Parallel Stereo

Using MG3 in stereo mode normally mixes to mono before applying tracking, which makes it less reliable. Running two instances of MG3 instead yields perfect results. Here I am sending my pedal steel to channel 1 and my keyboard (weight holding down a low A) to channel 2.

Could a future update change this behavior such that MG3 runs the Guitar=>Midi conversion for each channel separately, then mixes the MIDI rather than the audio data?

Longer term it would be amazing if MG3 could do this with more than 2 inputs. This would allow polyphonic pickup users to run a single instance of MG3 for 6 (or in my case 10) audio signals.

2 Likes

Once the VST plugin is ready, you can do all you suggested (and much more) in a DAW or other host environment. In my opinion the hosted plugin has many advantages over a “blown up” standalone version.

1 Like

You still need to manage multiple instances of MG3, including multiple copies of your synth (Equator2) unless you use loopback which adds significant latency.

I think the advantage of this feature is that it doesn’t make anything else more complicated or confusing, it just allows polyphonic pickup users to use MG3 normally but with hardware string separation rather than software.

For the VST approach, how would you transpose down an octave? Wouldn’t you need to open up multiple VST plugin instances and edit them all to the same value?

So far, even with 6 instances of MG3, it is not possible to play each string completely individually. Still some hardware solution inbetween guitar and MG3 is needed to separate the individual signals of a hex pickup for further processing.
Shifting octaves or notes is no problem in any DAW.
Personally I also don’t mind to have many instances of VST’s open in a DAW, there I have a clear overview.
I would just be happy if MG3 could be “fine-tuned” to a stage where all user plugins are recogniced and all other, existing functions are working as intended, for both the VST plugin and the standalone version.

It’s probably always a matter of how one is using MG3 to determine the needs and the wishes.

1 Like

I have Chapman Stick, with two pickups, one each for it’s own set of strings, and used two instances of MG2 within Ableton Live.

Waiting for VST MG3 to happen to do that again.

I’m sure that will work out fine! If the standalone version would have a “input channel selector” on top of each chain your scenario would also work.

Perhaps it is too niche of a request to warrant development time over other features. I’m hoping with some MIDI assignment I can solve some of this issue (make changes to all 10 MG3 instances with one MIDI message), although it’ll require a lot of CPU heft and I won’t be able to see a single “Poly Tuner” with all the strings (that would be glorious to see).

1 Like

Time ago somewhere in this site the owner said that will introduce later an exaphonic mode to be used with gk and similar devices.

I see some discussion here Hexaphonic version?

@lovejazz
I remember that, but I’m still “wondering” how that could be achieved without a splitter box etc.

The onus is on the exaphonic pickup user to find a way to get their string signals into their computer. Personally I use a custom cable that breaks the 10 strings into a DB25 connector and two TS connectors, since that’s the I/O that I have available to me. MG3 can already handle many channels of ASIO I/O, it just limits you to select 2 and it mixes them prior to MIDI conversion.

There are some splitters that work with GK devices plus you need a soundcard with sufficient inputs.
Also a GP10 or Sy1000 can send 6 signals from the exaphonic equipped guitar when used as usb soundcard.

@lovejazz
Yes, I’m aware of that. That’s also what I do occasionally but it involves hardware and more painful, soundcard swopping in projects. The DAW I use can only run on one dedicated soundcard at the time. It’s not really comfortable to use the GP10 or SY-1000 as your main soundcard.

you are much more polite than i.

words i might have used instead: practical, sane, productive, desirable.

neither has balanced outputs or separate controls for headphone/main out/mix volumes. if you forget to close the boss tone studio the unit wastes cpu cycles with abandon.

dante’s combination of software can address the issue of using multiple audio interfaces, although it is limited to 16 channels.

there’s three other reasons one might want to explore this option:

1. very low latency on dante inputs and outputs (14.8 msec total latency in ableton at 128 samples).
  2. very inexpensive cables - for those who are not really comfortable paying $130 for a gk13 cable, or twice as much for the nu-multi breakout box. (if you mount the transmitter directly onto your instrument).
  3. the ability to offload processing onto a second or third machine via their ethernet connections.

the hardware is similar in cost to audio interfaces capable of handling 6 or more inputs.

this is not a solution for most, i’m sure. but the software is robust, and it’s been working reliably for me for a couple of months (although i haven’t started to mix usb and network audio devices yet).

1 Like

@kimyo
I really like the idea of ​​the “Dante network”, it would also fit into my studio setup. I have to seriously think about that!!

I’ve been going down the Dante rabbit hole for a few days now. For me it turned this

into this

This setup is 32x32 channels.

2 Likes