MIDI module? Functional? What does it do?

If it’s functional can anybody explain how to use it?
I am hoping this will allow me to change CC numbers for a controller but so far I’m puzzled.

Thanks

It allows for you to use a keyboard controller to “play” instruments inside MG3. Try connecting a keyboard and open a MIDI device before an instrument in a chain. Choose that particular controller or the “ANY controller option” from the MIDI device window list, and play something. Works for handling Keyswich libraries/instruments for instance. You can also connect any external software on your computer via virtual MIDI cabling.

Thanks for the explanation.

So many things to learn and I have so many wishes.
I’ll name two:

• I wish I could click on a CC controller and change both the CC number and the response curve.

• I wish the audio engine would be better, on par with Reaper. Currently running a VSTi inside plugin will use more resources than placing it after the plugin in Reaper. (I am a power user trying to run things at super low latency of 16 samples, works in Reaper, crackles if I put the same VSTi inside MG3 plugin)

The first is a good request. I’ll put in on the TODO list.

The audio engine is efficient, but the real-time polyphonic tracking is more computationally intensive than your average plugin. But I guess you will be good if you enable multithreading in the audio device settings.

Awesome but let me make clear my issue with the CCs. I have two Lehle pedals, they both transmit at CC11. Right now I use an external software to change the CC on one of them so I can use both inside MG3.
I imagine the CC curve as something that can be completely moldable like in Soundigy MidiLab (great software to take inspiration from). For example a curve that works great as sustain pedal for piano:
Pedal input 0-1 CC output 0
Pedal input 2-127 CC output 127
This way you barely need to touch the pedal for the Piano to sustain.
Heal down and it’s off.

About the audio, I do use MG3 in MPE mode with lets say Phase Plant in MPE mode.
If Phase Plant is inside the MG3 plugin it will crackle. Outside right after MG3 (using the MIDI output module in MPE mode) I will not. Not a priority just a wish. I might make a video to demonstrate this.

Ok. Lets look for general solutions, to have more control over CC. We may not be possible to cover every edge case until we have a full scripting language, but I got a few ideas already.

Please open the MG3 standalone and make sure multithreading is enabled. I guess it will fix the crackles also when you run the MG3 VST afterwards.

Since you asked, I put together a little video with a few examples of how I might see myself useing the MIDI Device.

4 Likes

Thanks for this well made video!

Just to mention (you might be aware about), MG3 has 9 assignable MIDI patchbay inputs. Depending on the number of rows displayed more or less of them are visible. They even work if assigned and connected with a cable to some parameter but not visible due to a low row number selected (the cable is then also not shown but functioning).

1 Like

Great clarification! The patchbay MIDI ports numbers have been varying throughout this development, and I proably havent even seen this nine row yet :smile:

I haven’t tried using more assigned port that is visible either, so there is a lot of new things of interest here. Gracias :handshake:

1 Like

Thank you for the video.
Foot controller for key switches is a great idea.
What kind of controller would you use?
Do you think I can make a Behringer FCB1010 (since I own one) trigger key switches by stumping on the stumps?

1 Like

I didn’t really suggest that, but it is indeed a great idea for anyone with a footpedal that send out note values as well. I will try this with my Keith McMillen Softstep going forward. I don’t own a FCB1010, but there are a few videos suggesting that it is possible.

1 Like

I actually promised a few people to make a FCB1010 module at some point! I have the pedal here, but didn’t get time for it still.