MIDI-only version of MG3?

First up, bravo- the pitch to midi in v3 is vastly better than v2. The MPE is also an awesome addition. All in all - an awesome achievement. I assume its done with machine learning - I would be very curious to learn about your training data, but that’s probably quite secret squirrel?

To anyone that hasn’t used MG3 with something that understands MPE - jump in fast - it is next level amazing with MPE. I particularly love it with Moog Model D and any Audio Modelling stuff.

However, I am wondering if you are ever going to produce a MIDI-only version of MIDIguitar, that focuses only on player settings, midi routings etc etc. I only really use MG2 in this way - I turn off everything that makes a sound - and I am doing the same in the MG3 testing. From where I sit, the real value of MG3 (to me at least) lies in its ability to make usable MIDI from a guitar signal. I am pretty uninterested in everything else. Anyone else feel this way? I believe that the pitch-to-midi is your main product - I would love to see you focus on just that.

And now to venture off into idle speculation. The Fishman TriplePlay software (ghastly though it is) has a “fingerstyle” setting - the latency seems to go up a bit when this setting is used - but it tracks fingerstyle playing a bit better. Rather than have the one algorithm to do everything in MG3, is it possible to have several, and for them to be loaded/unloaded as required? Different pickups even (humbucker/single coil/bridge/neck/in phase/out of phase). Maybe one for the distant future.

OK, to finish. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pitch-to-MIDI. I think it really kills everything else now - I have already sold all my 13-pin stuff as a result of MG2, and now I am thinking of getting rid of my Fishman stuff too. Go you!

3 Likes

I totally agree, for me its also the main use for MG, most musicians probably have some setup they use anyway. However, what would a MIDI-Only version do for you? Should it be less expensive? Otherwise, what keeps you from just making a “MIDI Only” patch, just like I do with MG2 and MG3 now? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding, just interested.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s easy to overlook, and my hope is that MPE is a guitar-thing now.

The main focus is of course guitar-to-MIDI and the main idea with the MG3 application was to make midi-routing both easier and more versatile and consistent. Which is also needed to deal with the additional complexity of MPE. So I think it already is focused on midi routing, but of course currently maybe 70% complete…if you have any idea of improvements or stripping away something, please let us know!

As @normen said, all slots can load MIDI or audio modules, you can create your patches without any audio modules. But I see the Mixer and master chain is superfluous in your case. So, let’s make a way to create patches without this.

Returning, to your quote above… we have a challenge to communicate to new users, all the opportunities MG opens up. As you mentioned, people won’t otherwise notice for example MPE. Generally, the way we can show the possibilities, is by putting a few synths on board and make some factory patches with synths/audio.

There is also an argument about latency and easy setup: with the standalone app directly hosting audio plugins, less things can go wrong and there is a smaller latency overhead. This way, the standalone app is a live performance host, more lightweight than a DAW.

Regardless of whether you use MG as a pure guitar–to-midi plugin in a DAW, or as a standalone performance host, there is no compromise. It’s not like anything would improve on either side, if we cut out the other side. Hope this makes sense.

To your last point. It may be possible to adjust tracking to accommodate speciffic playing styles or even fine-tune the tracking model to your particular style and guitar sound.

2 Likes