MIDI Violin - When?

I realise there won’t be a definitive reply but roughly when do you expect MIDI violin to be available? Is it weeks, months or years away?

we have only just started looking closer at the violin’s spectral data, it is too early to give any estimate.
We also first have to finish and prepare other stuff for coming MIDI Guitar updates.

Thanks. You’ve answered the question: “not for a while!”

On the subject of a VST demo for guitar V2, which I asked in another thread, the reason I’m keen to try the VST demo for V2 is that the VST demo for V1 performs significantly better than the standalone demo for V2 in terms of tracking accuracy and speed. All the audio settings are the same so it’s hard to understand. If I buy V2 is it possible to downgrade to V1 if that performs better?

In the end tracking results are personal, but most people where happy with the V2 update.
Our license covers both V1 and V2, you can just apply the current license to the old app.

Thanks. I get that individual results vary but this was the same guitar, pickup, setup, gain, everything. I didn’t even put the guitar down between comparing V1 VST and V2 standalone. The difference was quite dramatic. I even tried the VST in two other DAWs and it’s performance was consistent and better than the standalone. It doesn’t make much sense to me! Thus I wanted to try the V2 VST if possible.

I have sent you a private message (see right top of screen for your messages)

I use MIDI guitar with my violin and it works well (enough) for most synths having put a lot of trial and error work into it. Use a velocity gate. If you’re on a silent body, tuning slightly sharp may improve tracking (the one big issue I have is it false triggering a half step lower when changing bow direction)

Using Max for Live in Ableton, I’ve got a system where you can add in volume control to allow for dynamics. Velocity is not a good system for violin, we need a continuous volume stream and Max for live can do that. You can get crazier and split the signal between low, mid, and high, measure those volumes, and have those values change the synth accordingly, allowing for timbre control.
Video example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwXfVwfJ8Do

There are a few more tricks I have that can improve tracking. Let me know if you’re interested and I can type out a few more paragraphs :smiley:

Eagerly awaiting a MIDI violin tracker from these guys as well :smiley:

I’ve been using MidiGuitar2 with my cello and it works better than anything else I’ve tried. It seems to track very reliably and copes well with the cello signal not being a ‘trigger’ signal like that of a guitar string being plucked. The only down side is it doesn’t track all the way down to the bottom C or C#. I’m using MG2 along side the SY300 which is fantastic for analog type synthesis with cello. If only the SY300 did pitch to midi conversion but then I would probably not have discovered MG2.

Yes, I have had the same experience with version 1 whether it’s VST or AU. It tracks better imho. Or really works better with my picking style. I don’t know what the incentive for upgrading v2 was, save for added comfort in the plugin, and using amp sims “on the side”.

I wonder if running JamOrigin’s Bass tracker along with the guitar tracker would allow you to get the lower notes on your cello? For violin, it doesn’t track E6 and up (which is the higher part of the E string that goes way beyond the guitar range). Unfortunately, there’s not much I can do to get that (using an octaver decreased tracking accuracy greatly).

That’s where the SY300 can help. If I’m desparate to use the C & C#, I can feed MG2 a synthesised signal an octave up. Likewise, for violin, you could feed an octave down. I’m generally in need of polyphony so I can play a chord, use MG2 to drive string synths or whatever, use a sustain pedal and play ontop :slight_smile: Bass tracker is monophonic.

I tried my acoustic violin with my schaller pickup into the bridge with Midi guitar 2 …I can say that it’s work , but , in many instruments , especially strings , I get unwanted notes , after playing a note and some times a lot of stranges things ,due to the resonace of the instrument I think , because it does’nt happen with the guitar , Is there any settings solutions to do on the GM2 software t ? For those who already play MG2 with violin.

Maybe by gently increasing the noise gate value in the Tracking Window…

1 Like