Midiguitar 2 and Mac M1

It generally works fine in Logic, GB and indeed almost any DAW.

Could you try to run the following command in Terminal:

auval -vt aumf JamO

It will test the MG2 audio unit on your system and print a lot of stuff, presumably ending with “AU VALIDATION successful” at the end.

I think we have a new M1-native plugin by Monday.

I have the same problem, MG2 plug does not show up in garageband, I also have the new MacBook Pro with the new M1 and BigSure

Hey thanks,

I tested the MG Audio Unit and indeed; it ended with ‘AU VALIDATION successful’.

So, looking forward to the new M!-native plugin which you say you might have it by Monday. That’s really a nice message! Thanks.

I got this message auval -vt aumf JamO

AU Validation Tool
Version: 1.7.0 
Copyright 2003-2019, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Specify -h (-help) for command options

VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumf’ - ‘00000000’ - ‘JamO’

ERROR: Cannot get Component’s Name strings
ERROR: Error from retrieving Component Version: -50

• FAIL

TESTING OPEN TIMES:
FATAL ERROR: didn’t find the component

What is it I am doing wrong here? VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumf’ - ‘00000000’ - ‘JamO’

ERROR: Cannot get Component’s Name strings

ERROR: Error from retrieving Component Version: -50

• FAIL

TESTING OPEN TIMES:

FATAL ERROR: didn’t find the component

Havard, it looks like you don’t have the MG AU installed - did you put it in the folder as described here: jamorigin.com/daw?
Maybe you have the pre-catalina version. Make sure you have the Catalina (and later) version and its in the AU folder: jamorigin.com/download

After putting it there, you may have to restart the machine for Logic to find it.

Ericdewit, its looks ok for you. Did you try restarting the Mac and also make Logic rescan for plugins? It should be there.

I have the Big Sure In a brand new Mac , what is MG AU, I am a musician not a IT person :slight_smile:

Sorry :slight_smile: This is what you need to do:

1. Download MG 10.15+ version from here: jamorigin.com/download. Open the downloaded DMG file.

2. Copy the MIDIGuitar2 .component file to your AudioUnit plugins folder: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

If you cant find this folder, open Finder and hold “cmd” and “shift” keys and press “G”. Now copy the above path into the dialog that pops up.

In order for your DAW to discover the new MIDI Guitar plugins you sometimes need to make it rescan your plugins folder for plugins or restart the Mac.

I copied the file into the VST folder, but it still not work.

You need to copy it into Components folder, not VST (as already explained by JamO). That’s the home of Audio Units, seen by Logic.

Well, MG2 as plugin in Logic still doesn’t show up. But I managed to make the garageband version working. I use it as a stand alone. Then, in the upper window where you choose instruments I choose ‘External Midi Output’. Then in the window “Midi Machines” I choose “Midi Output”. Sinds I had Garageband open, suddenly a software instruments was sounding!

So, in this way you create a midi input in the DAW with which you can play all the software instruments. Then, the same thing I did with the MG2 stand alone app and it created an external midi input in Logic.

Yeah…However, it still does not work as a plugin. And it crashes a lot. But for the moment I am happy that at least I can play the software instruments in Logic and go on testing different audio interfaces. A question which arises now is if the midi tracking in the way as described above is as fast as when the MG2 is used as a plugin inside Logic?

So, I am looking for the audio interface with the lowest latency round trip and best dynamics in order to make the play feel with the MG2 and a software instrument the best possible. Maybe a suggestion?
Now I am using an old Scarlett, an old Edirol firewire and a new Apollo Twin x Thunderbolt. Of course, the last one gives the best performance. However, the Apollo is famous for its near zero latency, but this is only with the ‘onboard’ plugins.
When I use it playing software instruments inside Logic, it has a run trip latency of 9,2 ms (1,3 ms output) which is not that impressive. The old Scarlett has 7,9 ms (3,8 ms output).

I think that the new MacBook Pro M1 which I also specially for this purpose bought, is fast enough?

So, maybe you can suggest me an audio interface which is perfect for this job?

Well, anyway, with now at least the ability to use the MG2 stand alone app with Logic there is some progress because I almost got frustrated. So, thanks for the moment for all your correspondence with advices. I hope you can give me also some advice about a the audio interface.

Best Regards,

Eric

thx, done it, and finally it works and it shows up. Next thing I am wondering about, how to record the sounds from the MG2? when I try only the soft synth in GarageBand/logic will record, not the sounds from the Midiguitar. Any advice on this?

do you mean its not recording audio, only midi?

i’m using a motu m2.
haven’t measured the roundtrip latency yet., how did u do that?
anyways its not perfect for sure, but i believe playing a softsynth with your guitar will always feel a little weird depending on the dynamics of the patch etc.
but blending a lead synth into a distorted guitar for example, or using a sustain pedal to hold chords with your synth and then playing oder it (there is a midi module for that within MG2) is really fun and there are lots of other ways to implement MG2 into your live playing.

i hope jamO will allow for a smaller buffer size/higher sample rate with the next update. so far i think it only supports up to 48khz/64 samples. with an interface capable of 192khz the latency should be reduced considerably.

Yes, only midi, must be something I dont understand, could be a language problem, I am just a Norwegian, :slight_smile: and I’m not familiar with midi and plugins in general. I really should like to record the sound from the MG2. I am only used to the big amps and stomp boxes, this is new to me, thx for responding.

ok so some essential info for midi: midi itself does not play sound. it only tells synths which notes to play. MG2 reads the notes that you play on guitar and translates them to midi, so that software synthesizers can read and play them.
if you want to change the sound of your immediate guitar signal, you have to use another type of plugin that changes the quality auf the audio itself. you could for example have three tracks in mainstage/garage band/whichever software you use, and
-have one use the audio input from your interface to alter the sound into a distorted guitar,
-the second track have a software synth (that needs midi to play) and
-the third track with MG2 on it to send MIDI data to the second track.
edit: you can also record midi data and then bounce it to audio if you want, meaning that the computer will turn all midi notes that you recorded into audio data. or you have another audio track that receives audio from your midi track. but i don’t see why you’d want to do that, because midi data can be tidied up after recording while audio can’t :slight_smile:

keep asking, i’ll try to help if i can.
cheers

thx, the thing I was trying to find out was to find out if It is possible to record the sounds from MG2 to GarageBand/Logic, not using the software synts in GarageBand, but the Software synts in MG2 when I play the guitar, is there a way to do that?

br
Havard

Yes, using the MG plugin. For this use case - think of MG as any other Audio FX - its audio in and audio out. Just like if you were to record a guitar applied a distortion Audio FX.

I had a support question. I’m moving to a new Mac Studio and would like to move my license but wasn’t sure how/if? Great plugin by the way.I have iPad version and would not be using it on my old computer.