Tracking issues after updating to iPadOS13

Hi,

I have severe tracking problems after updating both my iOS and MG2.

I‘ve been using MG2 to play iOS softsynths with my bass and I‘ve been pretty happy with it. Sure it was not tracking the lowest notes, only down to C on the A string in monophonic mode and down to E on the D string (guitar range) in polyphonic mode, but that was no problem for me. On the notes it did track the tracking was absolutely flawless.

I was still on iOS 11 and the last MG2 version that worked for that. Now I updated my iPad to iPadOS13 and also updated MG2 to the newest version and suddenly the tracking is a lot worse for me. And I mean A LOT! Almost unplayable :cry: Everything else is still the same. Same bass, same interface, same softsynth.
I was hoping that, if the tracking changed at all in the new version, it would be better and not down to almost unusable…

I did not try the older MG2 version with the new iOS version, I updated one after the other, so I can‘t really tell if it was the iOS update or the MG2 update messing it up.

Anyone experience this as well? Are there other bass users at all for the iOS version?
Can something be done about that?
Is there any way to go back to the older MG2 version?

One pretty devastated user hoping for suggestions here…

the older version is obsolete from ios12 onward, so you can’t go back.
Please check input level in the interface section, and try adjusting the noisegate: that knob has changed particularly.

Hi Paul,

thanks for your answer. Adjusting the input level and noise gate actually did help a little. What helped some more was adjusting the EQ of my bass for a very bright sound. It is a pity I have to do this because I play some synth-sounds with dry bass mixed in and with the EQ adjustment the dry signal sounds like crap. Still I have the feeling the tracking is not quite as good as it was with the older version.
Was the algorithm kind of optimized more for guitar in the new version? That could be a reason why it is worse for bass now.
So I guess a MidiBass for iOS would be really nice (hint, hint…) :wink:

there aren’t big changes in the converter: it should not be such a difference.
Have you checked the impedance setting on your interface? If you have to add highs to have good tracking, it would indicate that your interface is on low impedance, which kills the high notes in many situations.

Hey, just wondered what ipad you are using? What memory storage/SSD is the main thing and of course the processor not being too ancient nor the working RAM too small (1gb, 2gb and 4gb were where things stood until this year improved on that i think).

Going back a ways, I had Auria Pro (for example) on an ipad 4, all was well until i decided to attempt more than 5 tracks…!

My point is only that software progress seems almost never to make the apps or iOS (any OS) more compact and less resource-hungry.

I literally gave my ipad 4 away just 4 years after i bought it to someone who does more conventional tasks…i specifically bought an ipad pro 2 to run music DAWs and edit video (Luma).

Based on a lot of experience in IT, it is common for a combo of a new release of application and a new OS update, to just become too demanding for the box you are running it in?

So, if you are on an ipad or device with less than 2gb RAM to work in ( a lot of early iphones etc have only 1gig) and less than 256gb of SSD, that could be it, time to upgrade hardware.

Never a welcome suggestion, I wasn’t happy but it was worth it. Of course I am avoiding the move to 13 like it’s a plague, unless forced i simply won’t do it. My gut says i might well need a hardware upgrade sooner if I make the iOS move.

My ipad pro 2 was a used one for £650 or so, nearly exactly what i paid new for the ipad 4 64gb several years ago…3 weeks later they doubled the max memory option to 128gb. The 64gb became impossible to live with, i was not pleased!

My present setup is ipad pro 2 with 512gb SSD. I think the working RAM is 2 or 4gb, in ipad pros with larger SSD Apple put 6gb in I believe, to help with storing access requests and managing the larger memory/SSD space.

So, those parameters being limited, will be harder felt with every app update and iOS update, as I say. My general policy is to check ‘Forbes’ who review and report on every single Apple iOS update and its problems.

Good luck. My ipad 4 64gb just would not run 5 tracks in Auria in the end, and the ipad pro 2 i have now manages to fully use 32 tracks and lots of instruments, but i dump every other app before running it, and either restart or do the memory app clearing below, if any weirdness occurs.

MEMORY CLEARING (working mem not SSD)

Press and hold the screen off button until the ‘slide to power off’ msg appears

Now, press the home button and hold until the same message above has gone away

Clearance of ‘ghost apps’ on memory has now been done apparently. I know nothing but this does help sometimes.