Tracking issues (missing/added notes)

Tried the demo. There’s a LOT of notes missing and/or added. Also, one of the issues is MG will interpret an octave away. I thought it might be another string vibrating to I silenced ALL 5 strings, except the one I am playing on, and it still “toggles” between octaves. Tried changing pickups, changing volume, changing tone, changing latency, changing mono/poly.

Basically, it’s about the same as my hex pickup. I was hoping for miracles. I do not experience miracles here. Also, I agree with the person who said 8th notes is about as fast as it will track “without trouble”, but there’s still problems, even with 8th notes.

Sorry, don’t mean to rain on the parade here, but the ad says “it just works”, and so far, that is definitely not my experience.

Peace

8th notes without a tempo reference doesn’t create a very clear picture of your issue. On my 4-year old MacBook in a Live 10 project at 120bpm, MG2 tracks at least 16th notes with precision on single note playing with only the occasional misfire. Of course it struggles a bit with certain polyphonic close intervals but if that’s important on a given project I’ll plug in the BOSS GP-10. Have you played with your settings much to see what might be the problem here? Could it be your instrument setup? I’ve never experienced an octave mistrigger but I vaguely recall reading on the vguitar forum about octave mistriggers on guitars in need of a fret dressing, albeit referring to Roland systems.

Toggling between octaves is not a typical fault pattern for our app, espcially not when 1 note sounds.
There are 2 most likely scenarios that can cause this error:

1. the “transpose” midi fx is loaded and set to “velocity”. this will toggle the octave on louder plucks.
  2. the input signal might not be a clean electric guitar input:
    Many audiointerfaces feature “loopback”, where you can record the outgoing signal. This would feedback the synth’s signal into our app’s input, creating a vicious circle, often resulting in octaving.

I agree with the original poster, but that it is somewhere in between this “fault” reported. The overall total gain structure has to be set, and of course it involves at least 3-4 different buttons depending. The gain structure must be set to that there’s unity gain all across. First you have to:

1. Turn the input on your physical audio interface to NOT clip at all at the strongest hit picks (full chord). This can take a while as it behaves differently between different guitars, and different pickups of the same guitar. If you have single coil pickups, take care of the single coil 50-60 Hz hum in the background which can screw up the interpretation in the MIDI interface.

2. Then on the Interface tab inside MIDI Guitar 2 there’s yet another input/gain button you have to make sure it barely goes into the orange area. Set that accordingly too, which can take a while.

3. Before moving further, you have to set the Noise Gate button which can come handy bucking 50-60 Hz hum and background noise, such as finger noises scratches, open resonating strings “rumbling” around.

4. Then you go to the MIDI panel where you have to set a) gain b) tone c) curve. 3 individual buttons and these have to be set accordingly and only to your personal playing techniques. This is how the MIDI response will trigger different synthesizers and plugins.

5. Then you have to set the total gain, master volume all after that too, but it hasn’t go anything to do with tracking really.

If you still have problems, it can be numerous things. Stray RF noises creeping into your cables, hum inducing single coil pickups, and the pickups not being that close to the strings to pick up a strong magnetic signal but pickups up everything else too. You have to have a clean picking attack and a honed in skill of dampening the other strings you’re not playing. It took myself quite a while to get to this. As I have detected, it dawned to me slowly that hollow body guitars, and acoustics are more prone to “ringing” and resonating notes that are not played, and are often as loud as deliberate notes, and thus, cause the Midi Guitar to misfire or doubletrigger. Solid body guitars works best with humbuckers of some hotter output, but not too hot. Fret buzz that you really can’t hear, can be picked up by the system anyway, so make sure you have a pretty decent setup action wise. Too.

As far as the 8th notes, yes, this is a liability too, and I use MIDI guitar for slow pads or sound that gets into the background. No “fast attack” instruments like Piano, Vibraphones, Marimbas will do. Especiall those will misfire, and mistrigger more often than not. New strings makes stray upper harmonics causing MIDI guitar to misfire and double trigger too. Very light gauge strings are more prone o this, than very thick gague strings. But with thick gauge strings you can’t bend properly.

As you have read, it’s a lot of effort, unwieldy thing, before it works, but when it works, it’s pretty decent. But to say “it just works” is a tad overhyping it. It doesn’t just works. I do occasionally have to use a hair / wrap band (!?) that girls use to shove their pony tails through, to dampen the open strings. Instead of having to buy those über expensive Fret-Wraps that dampens the strings at the nut. Mine I have just gotten for free, and if you have to buy it’s within 1-2 dollars.

To make a real stab, I am one of the few who thought the 1.0 verison of Midi Guitar had the better triggering system, by far. It wasn’t as sensitive to stray undampened notes. It took a while to set the sensitivity for all notes individually, but once set, that one…just worked.

1 Like

So the system says the last reply was 9 months ago. Problem still not fixed. Guitar players touch their guitars. Wish they would add a sensitivity control in the app. Im new at a lot of this stuff and don’t have the patiences or skill set to adjust all the stuff in these links. I want to make music, not be a programming tech. Fun toy at this point but not real useful. Add the function and many happy customers. Now, not so much.

There is a sensitivity dial in all our apps, and there allways has been.
Choosing for guitarsynthesis allways means a learning curve, but our app is most likely the simplest way to play a software synth with your guitar.
If you have a specific problem, please specify it, and I (or any other forummember here) can give a specific answer.

Thanks Paul. Yes. I am mostly creating the unwanted notes by brushing strings… Which dials do I play with. I am real new to this and trying to figure it out. Are they in the Guitar midi app or my plug-ins? If you can just point me to the specific dials or settings, I can hopefully explore from there. Thanks so much.

mark

Duh, Just scrolled up and see you answered this. So sorry. I’ll check out your advise. Again, thank you.

1 Like

I just wanted to chime in that I have been using this for years. You have to always be tweaking and experimenting, to get the best sound.

1 Like

I still think, that the old version didn’t double-triggered as much. Now I know there’s too many irks and quirks and idiosyncrasies, so I bring out MG2 just occasionally and have now almost resorted it to be a standalone VST for MIDI controllers (keyboards). And if using guitar I only use that guitar channel out to the right with one or two guitar plugins. All the other things, I’ve left behind because it’s a nuisance. Too many irks, quirks, idiosyncrasies. The occasional long slow pad I can still use, but that’s about it. Maybe every other leap year… :wink:

Still too many annoyances with the GUI, which doesn’t follow any other logic especially in the SAVE department. There’s no “press ctrl+s” to just save a patch, but it always comes up a dialog box, “confirm safe”.

There are too many concessions and prerequisistes that has to be checked and made before one plugs into this one. The pickups on any guitar can be set too far or too close to the strings, and cause the MG2 to mistrigger. There’s always a sweet “goldilocks” spot. If they’re too close, one can have Magnetic String Pull which wavers the string (some of them) and cause the MG2 to mis-fire. If pickups are too far, picking dynamics and high end treble, as well as noise headroom is lost. Casues MG2 to misfire. Also, when putting on brand new strings, you have to adjust again. They have too much zzzing and cause MG2 to mistrigger.

You have to clean up your playing style so much, and be constant vigilant of pick technique, dampening stray strings that rings, and not be that sloppy with legato techniques, or slides, ghost notes and slurs. Things that makes the guitar… :stuck_out_tongue: