Using Midi guitar as input device for a web app.. possible?

hello everybody,
I’m a Fishman TriplePlay user, and I use it mainly for inputting MIDI data in a web app that I’m developing, that reads MIDI events in realtime.
TriplePlay is not bad at all, but I still have some issue with ghost notes, harmonic pitches detected as real notes, etc…
Now I found this Midi guitar 2 (soon to be Midi guitar 3, it seems…), and I’m wondering if its polyphonic tracking is similar or better, to record fingerstyle guitar playing.
Is there documentation about API to interface to my program?

Do you have any experience or suggestion?
I’d use it just for recording and inputting data in scores… what version could I try to have a grasp on the performances?
All demos are fantastic, but real-world playing is often another game… :grinning:
Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestion.

is the final goal tablature-style output? mg2 won’t give you separate strings the way the tripleplay does.

assuming you won’t be able to compare mg2 vs tripleplay in your software until you resolve the programming issues, you could compare the two in a daw.

this would give you an idea if mg2 will result in fewer ghost notes, etc.

if so, then investing the time to make it talk with your sw would probably be worth your while.

I’m reading midi data with the web API avalable in standard javascript, and store the notes in a file…
If demo versions are fully functional, I’ll give a try, but if MG2 does not separate the notes on the various strings, I think that’s a deal breaker :pensive:
that’s the way I get what fret that midi note has been played…

my plugin gets data for this visualization, in sync with a youtube video playing…

that’s very cool. i also watched the ‘my favorite things’ video. you have a very useful learning tool here.

unless you’re willing to go with a multi string pickup i think you’ll need to wait for mg3.

i think there’s a technique to convert a tripleplay to provide 6 audio outs, but then you’ll also need an audio interface with 6 inputs. if you went this way i think you’d be happier than with the midi capture from the unaltered tripleplay.

it could prove helpful to be able to have individual gate/velocity settings per string in terms of false note rejection.

thanks kimyo,
I already do read separate string notes on the TriplePlay, my main problem is the tracking, that quite often generates false notes.
The bundled program seems able to filter out these “false positives”, but my script is much simpler, and I get quite may unwanted notes… thus I was wondering if the MG2 (or next MG3) would be more error proof from this perspective…
I cannot exclude though that part of the problem is in the guitar itself… stratocasters are known for being bright sounding and maybe are more prone to produce harmonics…
Paradoxically the ideal would be a muffled “bad” instrument…
Thankyou anyway for the suggestions.

just to clarify, if you chose to modify the pickup or use a multi channel option, you’d be bypassing the troublesome tripleplay note detection.

instead, you’d run six instances of mg2. this would almost certainly reduce false notes, as well as provide you with the desired individual string output.

i’ve read here that mg2 prefers a ‘brighter’ signal from the guitar. it works well with my set of guitars, including piezo and standard magnetic, better than the tripleplay by a wide margin.

with the tripleplay, it may help to use string dampeners or a ‘fat finger’.

I thought to some kind of string dampener too, but it works mainly for open strings, whilst the harmonics often starts right at the pressed fret… (have also to admit that my playing technique is not as clean as I wish…)
Maybe some gummy material at the bridge would work… same principle, opposite end of he string…
I’ll do some experiment…