What about MIDI Guitar & MPE?

Here is a glimpse into the future of MIDI Guitar. Everything I am playing here is done with the development version of MIDI Guitar, showcasing its MPE capabilities that have been announced to be part of the next-generation software output.

It is just a few examples of stuff that you certainly wouldn’t have been able to do in the previous version, and although the software is still very much under development, I hope this can work as both inspiration and as a testament to progress made.

I also mention in the video that I can’t give you guys any timeline on the Beta or the software release. JamOrigin is certainly working on it, but the nature of this development resists being tamed by mere hard work, unfortunately.

11 Likes

Thank you for this preview of MG3 and its possibilities.

In this day and age where you always have to go faster and always have to prove that your work is progressing, I hope that this little demonstration will calm the impatience and remove the doubts about the development of MG3.

Thorleif, I have a feeling that your music is going to follow even more unusual and exotic paths: can you already publish the score of the passage played in the video at 8’30"? :rofl:

And thank you again for this contribution and for helping Jam Origin, which does not have the resources of the big development companies to pay for demonstrators and communication teams.

1 Like

Thank you @Herold

I have yet to record for notation with this setup and my transcription skills surely won’t be to up to par for such a task, but you bring up an interesting point however: what will this look like when notated? :thinking: I will probably do a little test just to see how Logic interprets this. It is probably going to be a challenge for any notation system to make sense of the MPE pitch bends-per-note output to begin with. Where does vibrato stop/bend begin? Two different notational symbols for just a difference in degree of what? Oscillation symmetry? Curiosity piqued!:+1:

Very cool! I wonder if notation would be easier to look at maybe with faux string separation (so there are individual channels for each string even when not using hex pickups), so perhaps something would be needed to detect how many strings are active as well as recording the actual performance data. Maybe that would need to be a hardware solution in terms of the notation and might have a separate latency from the performance side of it. That is mostly just brainstorming though I guess. Anyway, excited for MG 3 and MIDI Bass 2 for sure!

1 Like

Just to end the joke: you could take inspiration from contemporary composers to create your notation system:

Luciano Berio
Luciano Berio

Karlheinz-Stockhausen
Karlheinz-Stockhausen

Iannis Xenakis

Cornelius Cardew
Cornelius-Cardew

Will Redman
Will-Redman

2 Likes

Say what? Should I take it you haven’t yet seen my Pendercki graphical notation adventure? :joy:

I had forgotten about this one, although it made a big impression on me! And I find these textures very tasty :yum:
You are right, your score is representative of the interpretation and you don’t need any other examples to transcribe your work :smile:

1 Like

This is very exciting, my friend, especially for a lap steel player!

1 Like

I do not have a power pc to keep the latency to the minimum, but I can’t tell you enough how crucial Midi Guitar 2 has been to my setup. Thank you for all your hard work, and I hope I get to unwrap the MPE version at Christmas. It would be the best Christmas present ever. Cheers

2 Likes