Ableton 11.2 Crash

I am having problems with Ableton 11.2 crashing when loading a template with Midi Guitar 2 on a track. Had no problems with 11.1.

Ok, is that the only thing on that template, or track? I use MG2 on an audio track as my startup template with no issues on Abelton 11.2 (Mac OS 12.5.1)

Ok, I’ve had Abelton dive a couple of times on me in 11.2 but nothing I could trace back to MG2 with any certainty. What happens if you open MG2 on a track in a new project, save it (as a template), and try open it?

Ok, that is one of those function I never use since it has messed with bends (which I always use), so I wouldn’t have been able to figure that out even how much I would have tried. Good work! :+1:

Ok! Sorry to hear. Let’s see if anyone else in here with PC and Abelton 11.2 can confirm this issue as in a relation to MG2?

I had this too after upgrading to LIve 1.2.

Windows 10.

MG2 was in my default template so it took a while to trackit down to MG2.

I have discovered that the crash only happens for projects created with 11.1x containing MG2.

If you create a blank project (hold shift while selecting New Project) you can then open the affected projects, delete the track with MG2), read it, then save, it will open connectly after that.

However I have quite a few work in progress projects affected, so if there is a better fix I am interested in hearing about it.

Regards

1 Like

I meant re-add not read, sorry.

Same here, discovered it last night, Ableton 11.2, Windows 10, Midi Guitar 2.2.1
Happens to projects that were created with previous Ableton versions.
When opening a project that was created in Ableton 11.2 it doesn’t crash.
This is one of the main and most important plugins I use.
Is there an updated/fixed version?

It would seem to be something that Abelton did in their 11.2 update? In that case, did you send in a crash report, and if so, what did they say?

Same issue with Live 11.2 (windows 10) and MG or MB.
My template had many plugins and it took a long time to get to the source of the problem.
Without MidiBass all was ok.

Today I created a project using only MG and a Midi track using the MG audio track as source and I have been able to replicate the problem. Getting rid of MG, all is OK.

I sent numerous crash report to Ableton without knowing why Live would crash hard when recalling a template that worked ok under 11.1.6.

Following their advice I review all plugins to be surre they were up to date. Same with audio and midi driver. Next I reloaded each pluging, saving and recalling the project. For sure Midi Bass was causing the crash. Then working with Midi Guitar, I reproduce the problem.

If I load MG with the defaul preset. I am able to recall the project.
If I introduce the pitch bend, it will not be recalled. I get a hard crash in Live.

I also had a hard crash in Live while I was recalling a preset in MG. Cannot say if it’s related but this preset had pitch bend enable as well as transposer.

I am following up with Ableton reporting the latest, but I think an MG update would need to be looked at.

I installed Live 11.2.5 but the issue is still there.
To reproduce the crash jut load an instance of Midi Guitar.
Change Pitch Bend to: Default 2 ( any value would do the same)
Save the project. When recalling the project I get a solid crash in Live.

I would like to add that this is not related to pitch bend only.
I loaded the default preset in MG and slighly change the noise gate level. Saved the Live project. Loading the project would also crash Live.

If I only add a Midi effect like transposer and save the project. It will recall properly. But if I change the Pitch bend or the noise gate… crash on recall.

Hello support,
Have you been able to replicate the problem ?
Is there another way to contact support for trouble shooting and validation ?
This is quite a show stopper for me.
Planning to go back to Live 11.1.6
Crash Log have been sent to Ableton.

1 Like

Hi @Strudl
JamOrigin is aware of this and is talking to Abelton about this, but I would not rely on it being a quick fix. If the Abelton/MIDI Guitar2 combination is really important to you, as it is for many of us, perhaps you do best in going back to 11 like you suggest? I understand that there are a few who already chose that route. But a line of communication with Abelton is opened, and let’s see where that leads?

U sure? What about opening “old” projects? I have had no problems with opening my default template with MIDI Guitar on it, changing and saving stuff. But my problems start when I open any problem saved on the same computer that is ctrated with an earlier version of Abelton. 11.1.6 for instance. I do not run into the same kind of problem if I import a project from another computer (created in 11.1.6). But, then again, I am on a Mac.

Perhaps, but I have no (obvious changes in my MG2 setup in the project that crashes on startup, and I have no troubles opening that exact project if I send it to another computer where I still run Abelton 11.1.6 and save it, and then import it to the 11.2.5 system again. There is something else at play too, I think. Does anyone else have Abelton on two computers, with old and new versions on them, that perhaps can test this?

On the same computer?

Yes, and that is my point! I haven’t been able to reproduce crashes with any projects from other computers with the same system 11.1.6. I have two other computers with 11.1.6, and one with 11.2.5, and if if I try to open one of those “old” project directly on my 11.2 system (a project made on this computer when I still was running 11.1.6 on this as well), it crashes. (Not all do, though, which makes this even harder to figure out.) But if I airdrop that project to another computer, open and save it there, and airdrop it back, it opens fine. All the settings are exactly the same still, which makes me wonder if it is some sort of cache issue perhaps?

I have just sent Ableton Support a crash report. Here’s my story :

While Live 11.6 works great with my setup and plugins on a 2013 Intel iMac with 8GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14 - latest patch, after the upgrade to 11.2 I started having problems : Live was freezing at startup.
After that I returned to 11.6 and all worked fine again.

Today I saw that 11.2.5 was available (I have disabled automatic updates on purpose to avoid the same problem again) so I gave it a try.

I removed MG2 from the Default Template
while in 11.6 prior to upgrade (full download from Ableton) to 11.2.5.

After installation Live was able to startup (but it is very slow compared to 11.6). Then I opened a project containing MG2 and it crashed again!

CPU was running at 100% and getting hotter. I was able to start again Live after a few minutes after the crash.

For the moment being I have to revert back to 11.6 again.

Are your computers Apple Silicon? Apple Intel or WIndows?