How Do I Mute the Dry Guitar Sound

Using version 2.2.1 with Reaper.
I just read the thread “The plugin work, but the guitar sound still sounds”.

I’ve pressed every knob there is and nothing happens. Where exactly is this “big Master Volume Knob”? Also, where is the “User Manual”?

Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Hi! A question in return: have you got anything in the slots of the "blue"part here, the ones relating to Audio? In Deep FX, Amp Fx? If so, and you are not interested in the guitar sound, remove those. You can also turn the “MIX” knob to full red (only MIDI sounding), and the master Gain, I guess is your master Volume. I guess you could mute the audio track out too, if you are only interested in MIDI, but I haven’t worked with Reaper so I don’t know what that would look like.

Many audio interfaces have a “direct” or “monitoring” switch, so most likely this is your problem :slight_smile:

I have nothing in any of the boxes you’ve highlighted and I have tried turning all the knobs fully left and right - the dry guitar is still there.

Also, my interface is the Behringer UMC404HD and none of the buttons or switches solve the problem.

Thanks for replying.

Then the dry guitar is coming from Reaper.

There is no way MG will produce or forward any guitar sound if you followed LoFiLeiF’s advice above and turn down the blue channel.

This refers to the manual and button that solved the problem for the Line6 AmplifiTT

For the Behringer UMC404HD, the Mix button must be turned full to PB in order to hear only the processed signal and not your incoming guitar signal.

Look at the screenshot below

2 Likes

Yup, that did it.

Thanks, Herold and thanks to all of you.

Had this problem on my Behringer UMC202HD and disabling the Direct Monitor button (button fully out) did the trick.

thanks for this insight. What seems to be tricky, for me, was creating the audio and midi track’s inputs and outputs. It will prevent you from creating an endless loop (feedback), great.

1. create audio and midi tracks
  2. set input on audio to the guitar source; Insert MG2 on this Audio Track
  3. set the output to the bus you want to send the audio to, for output to the control room/etc.
  4. set the input on the midi track to OMNI (or whatever you channel you want to use)
  5. set the Midi track output to MIDI Guitar 2
  6. select the Instrument on the Midi Guitar 2 screen
  7. select to ‘show’ that synth or whatever you want to control with MG2
  8. on the Guitar section (blue) above, just crank the MIX knob all the way to WET (full 100%) this will remove all dry guitar sounds… you can mix as you desire
  9. set your synth patch as desired (I’m testing it with Arturia’s DX7 (sweet btw)
  10. you do NOT have to deselect the input monitoring, found that when it stays selected, you hear everything the way you want to hear it, The dry guitar can be recorded only when the input monitoring is ON… turning OFF will cut your sound off completely. (now, if there is other routing out there to record, un-monitored input on the audio track, then I haven’t configured that yet…

Once it works, it’s great… I like it, especially when I can use my plethora of synths and FX…

Only big burning question… I had a ‘stuck’ note; I had to deselect the input monitoring on the audio track, then back on again to stop the stuck midi note… isn’t there a “Panic” button on the Plugin? Standalone? seems there should be…

Peace out… great tool… Note: getting MIDI out of an audio wave file, is pretty easy, my DAW has Melodyne activated with ARA (random access)… you can just drag the recorded audio to a midi track and it will approximate the midi events. however, this works with already recorded audio; live requires a tool like MG2… glad it’s there… thanks guys