I don't want to hear my guitar on my DAW while recording - just the instrument sound

MacOSX, Presonus Studio One 5:
I would need advice on how to do only hear the MG2 instrument in my DAW. When I record, I still hear the sound of my guitar and Rhodes for example. The record is without a guitar, which is great. Is it possible at all? The MIX KNOB is turned to the right. Sorry for my English :). So: I want to hear only the MG2 instrument sound.

1 Like

Hi Martin!

It is usually one of two things: either you have something loaded on the guitar side of the MIDI Guitar software (blue box),

…or you have some ‘direct monitoring’ option on your audio interface that you need to address (turn off, or all the way to the right or left, depending on what audio interface you have)

Others with the same issues have had this discussion here:
How Do I Mute the Dry Guitar Sound

1 Like

“[I don’t want to hear my guitar on my DAW while recording]”

Thank you for taking the time to post a solution and an image. I have tried the solution, but I still hear my guitar while recording. I have tried using both Cakewalk and Ableton Live 11 as well as running MG2 in standalone mode. All to no avail. I still hear the guitar very clearly.

In Cakewalk, I have tried various combinations of Echo Off/Echo On.In MG2 the mix is set to Max Red, and all other settings are as pictured in your image. I am connected to the computer (Win 10), via a Focurite 2i2. I have muted all audio ins and outs on the computer except for FocusRite.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mark

Did you also try the “direct monitor” button on the Focusrite 2i2?

@MarkMoose @matugaur @LoFiLeiF
I think it has nothing to do with an interface problem because if I understood correctly, the problem is the monitoring of the guitar in a daw track while recording: in this case do not insert anything in the MG plugin and the guitar track can still be recorded “raw” but without hearing it
Here is my configuration for that:

Thank you. I will try the direct monitor button. Much appreciated.

Thanks I will try that for sure. I really appreciate folks taking the time to reply.

Hi again. You just saved me another several days of trying to solve the problem of hearing the guitar while recording. It was as simple as turning off Direct Monitoring.

1 Like

Glad to able to help! :grinning: :handshake: :+1:

Your suggestion along with LoFiLeiF’s resolved my problem of hearing the guitar while recording. I also discovered that as long as the Direct Monitor is turned off on the Scarlett, I can choose patches and the guitar remains muted. Thanks to you both.

1 Like

So in reality you hadn’t tried what @LoFiLeiF suggested?:

Hence my previous answer…
The main thing is that you succeeded in doing what you wanted :grinning:

But you felt it necessary to point out my error. Thank you. :smiley:

I did try it and it solved the problem. Thank you for replying. My Direct Monitor button is in a different location, and it took me a minute, or so, to figure it out. Such a simple solution. Thanks for the help.

2 Likes