Jam Origin and Fishman Together?

I have both Jam Origin and the Fishman Tripleplay. I have used both independantly and was considering using both together. My playing has not been as precise as I would like and neither will track that well sometimes. I realize this is due to my playing.

Dave

in my experience the playing styles required for optimal midi tracking differ between the two devices.

maybe there’s a sweet spot which will work for both, but i have a feeling that using them together will only complicate matters.

what kind of tracking errors are you experiencing?

Have a look at this topic, you will find excellent advice.

When you are used to playing at “11”, those things don’t sound so great at lower volumes, aren’t as forgiving, and don’t track well. I have gone from the heaviest pick I could find for heavy playing to a much lighter, more precise touch. I was thinking of using MidiFire (iOS) scripting to combine the two.

Thanks for the tip. I will look at it after work.

I have started using a string dampener and that has helped. Since the two use different methods I was hoping (more like wishing) by looking at the midi data over a period of time, I could come up with some slightly more useful to me. I was inspired by this: Sculpting Guitar Sounds with MidiFire - YouTube.

As I experience not-so-great-tracking with either method, although I do like Jamorigin better better than the Fishman. I also had tracking problems due to my playing on my You Rock Guitar (I purchased it as a midi controller only. Again it was my playing.

But if I am more deliberate and precise with any method, I definitely get better results.

Dave

I am a former addict of this drug, it took me a long time to detox, and even now I sometimes relapse, see my regular virtual amp :rofl:

This seems to be a great tool, too bad there is no Windows version.

Herold;

Thanks for the link. I watched it multiple times. It made sense and I found it very helpful.

Dave

Herold;

I have only begun playing with it and I’m definitely in newbie territory. As for playing at “11”, for all the years I did that it did not leave a mark. Working 30 years in Public Safety however left me with partial deafness.

Dave

FWIW I’ve been gigging with MG2 for a couple years and recently added the Fishman Wireless. Here’s what’s been working for me:
-On some songs FTP works better, on others I use MG2. In some songs I use both, but never simultaneously… that introduces even more false or double notes.
-If you’re running the FTP software in your DAW or standalone, setting up different HW presets for each song helps a bit. Changing string sensitivities for each song helps even more. Unfortunately for live work that’s not practical for me, since running FTP as a plugin made my system unstable (thanks a lot, Fishman).
-treating the signal before the plugin does improve tracking. On FTP I use midi velocity filters that help a lot, especially since I can treat each string as a separate channel in HW mode, with seprate settings. For example to eliminate unfretting false notes on the B string I put a filter on to disregard any velocity under 54 on Ch 2. Or I’ll change the velocity curve to compress or expand the vleocity response. There are several free midi velocity vst’s out there.
-typically there are just a couple of false notes that are the most problematic. Using a Note filter to suppress those notes is a very quick fix, provided you don’t need those notes later in the song.
-Using a separate, higher quality gate before MG2 can also help.
-GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers did help to reduce false notes especially when unfretting.

And all the other typical suggestions such as raising your action, etc.

Thanks for the commentary. I appreciate sharing your experiences and insights. All of the suggestions have helped pans are very useful. I had thought about the velocity matter, hence changing to a lighter pick size. Changing individual string settings are something I just started playing with on the FTP. I had kind of been thinking like a limiter or compressor in general.

In using the two together I had hoped to scrutinize the MIDI data (very tedious) to look for useful patterns in the data.

Getting some upgrades and repairs to my MacBook this week so I won’t get to try any suggestions until next week.

I am really soaking up the thinking in everyone’s responses and had no idea I would get this many suggestions. Glad I made the post.

Thanks for all the input; it has been very helpful. Next week I’ll get to try some of it. Probably start with the string settings.

Dave