Midi Guitar JamOrigin Bug: play a Bm7b5 chord, and it will be transpose the B to a Bb

A fellow guitar player on the Jazz forum asked if the following JamOrigin bug has been fixed in MG3

“there’s an extreme bug with jamorigin. It cannot decode a min7b5 chord and has problems with chords with tritones with it. If you play a run of the mill Bm7b5 chord, it will transpose the B to a Bb. This is a known and reported bug that has existed across 2 versions now. It’s been discussed a lot on the modern jazz guitar forum and in general.”

Unless I’m mistaken, I don’t have this problem in either MG2 or MG3.

Bm7b5

Thanks, but as a test, what about playing a Bm7b5 as a chord, not as you are doing playing arpeggios.

I think you need good ears for this test, you need the ability to recognise the sound of each interval played in the chords. (You need to know what notes you are hearing.)

Could someone please test these chords on guitar with MG3:
Tritone Chords

https://jamosapien.com/t/dominant-7-9-5-with-3rd-in-bass-upsets-the-midi-guitar-2-software/5022
Quote: “Any chord with a maj7 hidden in it, is a chord with minor seconds in it ( 1 half step).
#9 clashes with the first harmonic of the third. this is due to the harmonics of every tone.
MG2 can not track minor second intervals, and it is not fixable in that version.”

Thanks Guy.

So what you are saying is: If you play a Bm7b5 chord (strum), MG2 will play a BbMaj7? That is not the case with MG3. Not for me anyway…

This is the related issue:

Quote: “Any chord with a maj7 hidden in it, is a chord with minor seconds in it ( 1 half step).
#9 clashes with the first harmonic of the third. this is due to the harmonics of every tone.
MG2 can not track minor second intervals, and it is not fixable in that version.”

Thanks Guy.

Not a jazz musician but this issue seems largely addressed in MIDI Guitar 3. It may sometimes miss a note but rarely add notes. Surely, you can provoke mistakes if you strum hard and let loose. But even then the mistakes are often musical. I actually find this aspect of playing loose to be where this technology excels over Fishman and Roland.

I don’t understand what you’re saying (English is not my first language): If you listen and watch the video carefully you can see and hear all the held notes of the chord, no relation with an arpeggio that plays notes successively but not all together. The last image of the video shows all the notes of the held chord, right?

I’ve tested MG2, using 3 notes : B-F-D

So definitely a bug in MG2.

See the results below:

When I play the same notes B F D, the polytuner indicates B F D, whereas for you it’s A# F D.
I don’t understand why, unless it’s to do with your non-standard tuning?

And if you look at your trigged notes in the Midi Velocity window, you’ll notice that detection is unstable on the low string, where the pitch of the detected note changes because of the string’s imprecise tuning.

Have a look at it here:detection is quite flawless and the musical notes are respected.

For me it also works well. If your A string is tuned a bit too low you might get a A# triggered instead of the B.

I have tested these tritone chords shown below, sometimes the notes in the chord sound correctly, sometimes they are not.
Tritone Chords
My guitar is accurately tuned.

Could someone test the following chord voicing using MG3.

The chord voicings below are what a fellow Jazz guitarist is having problems with:

Many thanks
Guy

Tested: it works fine in MG3 and MG2.

MG3 windows is struggling with these cords especially the second one. It gets all 4 notes maybe 50% of the time, the other 50% it’s missing one or two notes from the cord. This assumes you trigger them exactly at the same time with 4 fingers. Slightest rake, even the fastest one will get you all 4 notes 100%.

So those who play with a guitar pick will not have any problems.

3 Likes

a possible reason that some players have this issue and others don’t is not tuning, but intonation.

if properly tuned but not properly intonated, this is the type of issue one would expect.

also iirc you’re playing a fanned fret instrument, perhaps the intonation is even more important with those.

one way to test this issue is to use a ‘good’ tuner to check the individual notes to see precisely what pitch is sounding at the troublesome frets. some notes are going to be right on, but some will always be slightly out of tune.

Excellent, well done.

Based on this evidence:

1. Using fingers to pluck the notes of the chord at the same time Does cause the problem.

2. Using a pick to strum the notes of the chord Does Not cause the problem.

Maybe, when using a pick and strumming a chord, each note will have a micro-second delay, so the problem does not occur in JamOrigin midi software.

Excellent, well done.

Based on this evidence:

1. Using fingers to pluck the notes of the chord at the same time Does cause the problem.
  2. Using a pick to strum the notes of the chord Does Not cause the problem.

Maybe, when using a pick and strumming a chord, each note will have a micro-second delay, so the problem does not occur in JamOrigin midi software.

I don’t want to put too fine a point on it, but I don’t agree with all this.

I have no more problem playing these chords with my fingers or with a pick,
BUT:
the position of the fingers on the neck and the attack of the other hand must be perfectly precise compared with many other chords that are easier to place and more easily rendered.
If this precision is not applied, the result will be more or less good, in the same way as when you are starting out playing on Midi Guitar in the traditional way.

This is not the case looking at your test and it makes tracking difficult or incorrect.

There’s nothing magical about Midi Guitar: if you can play a chord correctly just once, it means that the bug comes from the individual, not the machine.
I’ve played it correctly 5 times out of 10, so the bug comes from me… It’s only my opinion, of course, not an absolute truth, even if the statistics tend to prove it. :wink:

I think its a pretty accurate description, if played strummed almost no problem, if played simultaneously there are much more errors, the most common omitting notes, but also adding new notes occurs.
About the bad played notes I disagree. Thats the same argument during many years of poor guitar-midi tech tracking, which was derived to the player: play perfect or leave guitar-midi, and pretty much all leaved, they are all bad guitar players? So what sounds correct in the normal sound of the guitar is really a bad interpretation?. Sorry but no in my opinion, the problem was not that but a poor conversion of the technology which needs to interpretate correctely the nuances of that COMPLEX instrument that is the guitar. MG3 has changed many of this theories for better, but its not perfect, not yet.

1 Like

No sure what the argument is about. Every midi guitar has limitations. I owned most of them from Roland to Zitar to Triple Play. They all require you to adjust your playing style one way or another. I still use Triple Play for some instruments (like Piano) but Midi Guitar 3 took over the rest. Expressivity with MPE, ability to play your own favorite instruments, it just feels great compare to other solutions even with this small limitation that I can work around by slightly altering my playing style.

2 Likes