Steel strings vs Nylon

Does the MID Guitar track steel steel strings better or Nylon strings? thanks

I too am trying to learn the answer to this question.

@PhilStudio
@beingclear Hello, welcome here.

Have a look at this post to get some information.

There may be other posts, just type one or more keywords in the search box (I typed “nylon” to find the quoted post).

1 Like

Hi Phil,
I use both with MG2 and have not found any noticeable difference aside from a clean playing style which also hold true with dedicated HEX (midi) pickups. MG2 relies on the audio signal quality that comes from your audio interface’s ability to convert the audio signal to digital and if I’m wrong someone please tell me different. A midi style or hex pickup does rely on magnetics just as normal pickups do so in that case a nylon string will not work. In general any not metallic string will use a piezo crystal to convert vibration into an audio wave form.

Yes Chrisjdan is right on the money with this post .
Hex pickup do need steel strings. MG2 is just converting audio to midi, and quite amazingly I might add. Strings can always make a difference, as do various guitars and pickups, not to mention playing technique. I have had the Roland (GK-1), (GK-2) A Roland GR500 guitar synth package, Roland’s rack mount unit, and I can tell you that Midi Guitar 2 tracks better than any of them. But don’t try to use i.e. A long string patch and play something fast or visa versa, but you likely already know that.

I think I bought MG2 a couple of years ago. I moved to an apartment over a year ago and am only starting to have more time. I’ve only started back with some of my midi passions but when I first started using MG2 and recently again can’t help but think that if they able to isolate each string as in a dedicated six out magnetic or piezo pickup then they could also convert each string’s output accordingly. It sounds good on paper but it seems like the oost would be a big factor as well.

I don’t think it’s a question of cost but a problem of physical impossibility: MG is based on the detection of frequencies detected in a set of 1 to 6 strings: 2 same frequencies (i.e. low E at fret 5 and open A) will always give the same midi note A=45… unless using a hex pickup.