Without a doubt the most poorly documented software on the market

The product itself is incredible. The documentation is the worst I’ve ever seen. “MIDI Guitar should work with almost any DAW” is not at all helpful. Relying on users to happen to see a question and have time to answer it is not tech support. Someone had this same problem in November and it was never answered.

I can get Audacity to record guitar but not the MIDI instruments. When I try to add MIDI guitar as an effect, I get the MIDI Guitar license window and it opens but I can’t do anything in it. The interface is set to Audacity.exe but it has a weird sample rate. I don’t know where it got that from. it either records nothing or wants me to select audio to apply the effect to.

According to other forum posts, I might need this 15 year old app or that ten year old app or who knows…

audacity isn’t a daw and it probably doesn’t suit your needs (you want to control/record midi instruments).

what you could do with audacity is record the output of mg2 in standalone mode. the signal routing may be tricky, but that’s an audacity issue, not anything to do with mg2.

audacity is a great tool but it has some severe limits, music production-wise.

No. All I want to do is record the audio output and I get the guitar. The solution is the usb mixer that’s on it’s way but that’s not the point. I LOVE the product.

The documentation is really, really weak. This forum is full of questions and troubleshooting steps that should be documented.

The documentation on the Jam Origin website covers all the common daws, but as already said, Audacity is not a daw, it is an audio file editor.
It can incidentally load a midi file for playback but it cannot edit it and it cannot record midi files. A daw on the other hand is designed to do audio and midi recording.

The MG developer is a one-man band, working alone to develop, sell and answer questions about purchasing and licensing.
The forum is there to allow everyone to find solutions thanks to the users who appreciate the value of this software and who want to share their experience. Most of the time, answers are found as you can see by browsing the forum.

By typing keywords in the search field, you can often find solutions quickly and without having to ask questions.

But questions are always welcome when it comes to sharing our knowledge.
To get the most appropriate answers, ask your questions with precise wording and indicating your working configuration (OS, version, audio interface, plugins used, etc).

2 Likes

Geekware authors assume that their specialized knowledge is common knowledge and fail because of that assumption. Business loans exist to turn geekware into viable commercial software products.

The customer base for this is guitarists, few of them are going to shell out $300 for a DAW and it should take no more effort to record the output of this on anything than pressing a button or two.

“MIDI Machine lets you easily build your own custom MIDI effects” only applies to the 0.00000001% of guitarists who know how to write in Lua and was a complete waste of effort without basic instructions on how to use it.

Here’s the video that isn’t in the section on setting up Usine - https://vimeo.com/56522945

What someone who uses Traktion would do, I dunno.

1 Like

I am sorry I can not answer you further:

• I use an automatic translator which did not allow me to understand your first sentence, and the word geekware is incomprehensible to me and is not translatable.

• I can not read the video you quote because it is not public and requires a registration and an account on the site. The word “Usine” also escapes me.

Perhaps another forum user will be able to help you better than me.

Midi Machines can be programmed by those who have the necessary knowledge.
I don’t understand anything about them but I use the ones provided as they are and they are very useful to me.

Herold is right; Audacity is not a DAW and will probably not work for your use case.

Reaper is a fine option for you. I use Cantabile as a hos for MIDI Guitar and Bass, and while it is not a DAW it has the capability of recording the output of whatever you need. They have a free lite version.

Samplitube went free a few years ago if I recall. There are other options. Seems like your trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I tried looking up the documentation for that use-case and had no luck either :smiley:

The customer base for this is guitarists, few of them are going to shell out $300 for a DAW

if you want to record multitrack audio and midi, then you will need a daw.

and it should take no more effort to record the output of this on anything than pressing a button or two.

it doesn’t. but you have to use a daw, not audacity.

Business loans exist to turn geekware into viable commercial software products.

mg2 is an example of a hugely SUCCESSFUL software product. it is effective, and far less expensive than any of the other options (boss, tripleplay).

i have no doubt as to its viability. i’d strongly prefer that mg2 DOESN’T sell out to a corporate/commercial interest.

“MIDI Machine lets you easily build your own custom MIDI effects” only applies to the 0.00000001% of guitarists who know how to write in Lua

all guitarists can easily use midi machines. you don’t have to write a single line of code. most will not need any custom midi effects.

once you select a daw, please post again if you continue to have trouble.

1 Like

When did it become normal to come to support forum and have an outburst rather than simply explain your are having difficulties and ask for help?

I’ve seen it happens so many time in the last few years that it seems to have almost become the default way to post to a forum as a new member.

Anyway back to the poster’s predicament.
Audacity may now work with VSTs but you won’t get the results you want.

Some free DAWs with which you can use MG2 and find help plus tutorials online:

1. MPC Beats - Free DAW Software MPC Beats | Akai Pro
  2. Tracktion - https://www.tracktion.com/

Other free approaches but maybe too geeky

1. Element - https://kushview.net/ but you’ll need to find a recorder vst.
  2. Bespoke Synth - https://www.bespokesynth.com/ a very original modular DAW/Synth blend.

For Herold :slight_smile:
Quand est-il devenu normal de venir sur le forum d’assistance et d’avoir un éclat plutôt que de simplement expliquer que vous rencontrez des difficultés et demander de l’aide?

J’ai vu cela se produire tellement de fois au cours des dernières années que cela semble être presque devenu le moyen par défaut de publier sur un forum en tant que nouveau membre.

Quoi qu’il en soit, revenons à la situation difficile de l’affiche.
Audacity peut maintenant fonctionner avec les VST mais vous n’obtiendrez pas les résultats que vous souhaitez.

Quelques DAW gratuits avec lesquels vous pouvez utiliser MG2 et trouver de l’aide et des tutoriels en ligne :

1. Beats MPC - Free DAW Software MPC Beats | Akai Pro
  2. Tracktion - https://www.tracktion.com/

D’autres approches gratuites mais peut-être trop geek (maniaque d’informatique?)

1. Element - https://kushview.net/ mais vous devrez trouver un enregistreur vst.
  2. Bespoke Synth - https://www.bespokesynth.com/ un mélange modulaire DAW/Synth très original.
2 Likes

Thanks for the translation but I understood your English post perfectly with the automatic translator, as with the other posts most of the time.

Kushview’s Element is not very complicated to use for basic use, i.e. using MG to drive several audio and midi vsts and several vsti and there are very detailed and understandable tutorials.

For recording, there is MRecorder by MeldaProduction which is free (it is part of a free bundle of 39 effects, many of which are very interesting and useful). It can be used as a plugin in MG to record audio or midi or both. This simplifies everything as there is no need for external software like Audacity to record.

1 Like

When did it become normal to come to support forum and have an outburst rather than simply explain your are having difficulties and ask for help?

the op is trying to present an alternate reality in which mg2 is too complex for a mainstream user. (‘geekware, lua, poor documentation’)

this is obviously not the case, for even a relatively inexperienced guitarist can rapidly get mg2 to produce desirable output.

compared to installing and maintaining a gk pickup, tweaking the sensitivity, muting the headstock etc, mg2 is the hands-down winner, in terms of speed of implementation, plus with lower latency and superior tracking.

if op truly wants to use audacity, it certainly is possible. in this case, mg2 MUST be run in standalone mode.

trying to use mg2 as a plugin within audacity is like trying to cook a steak in a toaster. possible? yes. likely to produce desirable results? no.

demanding that the mg2 manual include instructions for audacity demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the matters at hand. or, more likely, a poster with an agenda.

3 Likes

Most of us (i.e. me) experience some form of software frustration from time to time.

The great thing about this forum is how many people are willing to help + the very individual ways they approach using MG2.

The OP has come to the right place if they engage…

1 Like

Well it sounds like you would accept the software NOT being so great, as long as the (1 man responsible for software development, testing, creating a community to interact and learn from) gave you a more precise manual.
Don’t get me wrong, I am not so happy when documentation for a product or software leave a lot to the imagination, as for example Behringer XR-18, when first released. Now mind you, you are talking about a huge company, with plenty of resources, that still fall short on a good manual. Eventually a community of people took care of these shortcomings. So I think a little slack is noteworthy for this entrepreneur.

3 Likes

WITHOUT A DOUBT the worst… etc. ? - I doubt! I had never any problem to understand MidiGuitar or not to get the information I needed to understand and use it.
In Germany there is the proverb: “Like an elephant in a porcelain shop”.
It is really funny to use Audacity as a daw or plugin host. There are many free DAWs out there.
Why don’t you just lower your voice … and play yer guitar?!

1 Like