Latency when playing on MG2

Latency when playing on MG2. Playing Reaper, decent latency and lots of gliding notes. Although I set buffering to 128 and 256 samples, nothing really helps, especially when playing the piano. How to solve this problem? Tried many different ways but nothing worked

Hello @Dmitry89 , welcome here :slightly_smiling_face:

It is difficult to help you without knowing a few things:

• Mac or Windows? Which version?
  • What are the characteristics of your computer (processor, RAM…)
  • Which audio interface?
  • Midi Guitar standalone or plugin version for Reaper?

Personally I can record in Reaper with a buffer of 512 without being bothered by the latency (piano or percussions).

Thank you!
Windows 10
Processor Type CPU QuadCore AMD A8-7680 Radeon R7, 3700 MHz
4 cores
RAM 16 GB
Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD audio interface
Playing electric guitar through Midi Guitar 2 in Reaper
I tried to set the buffering to 512, there were fewer gliding notes, but the problem did not disappear completely. Maybe a problem with the audio interface?

Your computer is perfectly suited for working with audio and your audio interface, even if it is an entry-level one, is sufficient to work with the usual audio configurations.

There are 2 different issues to deal with:

1/ when you talk about “gliding notes”, I think it’s not related to the hardware but to the guitar playing technique with MG2 which requires rigor and precision to convert the played notes and not the residual sounds (harmonics, resonances, imprecise attacks).
The choice of pickups and guitar settings also come into play but to a lesser extent.
For more details, search the forum for anything related to these techniques, such as here:

Pickup Recommendations
Reduce sensitivity / ghost notes / extra notes
Tracking issues (missing/added notes)
And many more…

2/ If you can play at 128s. without audio artefacts, this is supposed to be a perfect setting for playing without latency.
But if the problem remains the same at 512s. the solution can be difficult to find as there are so many factors involved.
The most known is the optimization of Windows: I don’t encounter any problem of artifacts, latency and especially system stability, even with very busy configurations (MG2 + about twenty other plugins + audio and Midi file players + loopers, all in a host plugin including about thirty patches that can be chained through a 10 seconds morphing, etc).

To achieve this result, my computer has 3 partitions: one with Windows containing different programs (office, audio, video,…) another one with all the working files (videos, images, music, plugins, sound banks,…).
The third partition also contains a Windows installation but with only the programs necessary for audio use and nothing else. Furthermore, all applications installed with Windows are uninstalled as well as all unnecessary background services. Finally internet, firewall and antivirus are disabled (except for occasional updates).

Finally, I always give this link to download a 92-page Windows optimization guide that I apply in full each time I reinstall Windows: The Ultimate Guide to Optimize your Windows PC for the Stage

I don’t know how you use your computer and how it is configured, and you don’t have to do what I do, but by reading it and applying some tips you may solve a number of problems that cause slowdowns often due to unnecessary and redundant use of CPU or RAM cycles.

But don’t forget that the problem can come from somewhere else, the main thing is to eliminate as many causes as possible.
For example, open only one program and then gradually test with other plugins or programs, try another audio interface, etc.

Thank you very much ! I will understand further, I already understood something!

i had some latency issues with the behringer umc404hd which i wasn’t able to resolve. this was on win10/ableton9 prior to the time i started using midi guitar2.

the same setup works fine with different interfaces (m-audio/tascam) and midi guitar works well.

however, piano is always tricky to get right on guitar.

I didn’t dare to mention the criticisms I heard about the UMC204HD, but as I don’t use it I won’t say anything. Some users are happy with it, but it’s not as simple as that: certain combinations of hardware, computer OS, apps and plugins can result in good or poor performance, or even bugs or crashes.

As for the rendering of piano or other polyphonic percussive instruments, it is no longer the hardware that is at fault but our fingers that have trouble doing the job properly :wink: