Setting up MIDI Guitar 2 in Reaper - unable to record MIDI output on track

Hello All, I’m missing something small and can’t figure out what it is. I have watched about 20 reaper/midi guitar videos and I’m doing everything the same (at least as far as I can tell. So I setup a new track, set my input to my guitar interface, I have audio in. Then I add MIDI guitar 2 Vst on the track. I then add kontakt after that. I am able to control the synth, and have verified audio output from Kontakt’s instrument. Here’s where it’s getting very frustrating. I want to record MIDI on the track, and I select “output MIDI”. Then I press record but it does not record any midi information at all. it just shows blank. No MIDI data recorded. What am I missing? Every video makes it look so easy but there has to be some small setting that is preventing me from actually recording my performance to MIDI. Any help is welcome and appreciated!!

Hello Daniel, welcome here :grinning:

Have a look at this post.
I have been using this method for a long time and it works fine.

1 Like

Thank you SO MUCH Herold!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. Can’t wait to go back and set this up. Will be saving it as a track template the second I get it dialed in. You are amazing :pray::pray:

@dcmabon I simply looked at the tutorials in the forum and grouped the informations in 2 images.

If you want to record only a MIDI track, an even simpler method explained by Paul Driessen here: Getting started with MIDI Guitar in your DAW

Thanks Herold. I actually have watched Paul Driessen’s video multiple times, which is very good, however he doesn’t get into the specifics about input and output in regards to MIDI vs Audio input/output and that’s where my missing link was. So once I get that setup, all the other videos, such as Paul’s, should finally work properly for me and allow me to fine tune. Thanks again for all the input. I’ll also be searching the archive for much of this stuff as im sure there’s some really great tips and information in there as well. :+1:

It’s the best thing you can do to find quick answers and discover lots of tips, ideas and more or less weird possibilities- that I’m fond of, for example: Flip :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like