Introducing MIDI GUITAR 3 HEX (third HEX update 3.0.53)

It has become apparent that the technology that I have been working on for 17 years (still counting), can advance hexaphonic guitar tracking just as it has done for general polyphonic tracking. Finally, we can have super fast MPE MIDI guitars.

This is a detour from our overall mission with MIDI GUITAR 3 as it requires a hexaphonic hardware system to split the audio from each string. MIDI GUITAR 3 HEX will take over the heavy lifting from the hardware and outperforms any such hardware (1984-2024).

MIDI GUITAR 3 HEX is available as an add-on to MIDI GUITAR 3 and of course free to try.

Thank you to everyone testing and being so patient. This wouldn’t be possible without @Dutti67’s guidance and razor sharp sense of the slightest tracking nuances and deviances.

For the rest of us, MIDI GUITAR 3 is an alternative to hexaphonic hardware, plug-and-play for all guitars, at a small fraction of the cost and maintenance. This is made possible by highly advanced technology, and we continue to focus on the general polyphonic tracking, going forward.

Sept 28th: initial version 3.0.51

More information will follow later today with version 3.0.51 BETA…

Edit: Finally the windows version is available.

Edit: Some have reported tracking issues (bad tracking, no dynamics), with loud pickups (GK5). We investigate this now and there will be an update soon to address this.

Oct 2nd: new version 3.0.52 released!

• This address tracking issues with loud and bright pickups.

• A DYNAMICS knob to adjust the output dynamics.

• It measures, in real time, how well it’s doing:

• A quality number (typically > 75%) telling how well it it’s tracking you!
    • A spurious notes number (typically a few percent). Mind, that the actual time of sounding spurious notes is ten to hundred times less than this percentage.
    • A latency number (which measure only a part of the system, not the full latency).

These numbers are all approximations, and will change with how funky you play, but more importantly with the position of the GATE knob. They might be useful for fine-tuning the GATE, comparing pickups or identify any tracking issues.

Edit: A few reports of low sensitivity with weaker/custom pickups in 3.0.52, which weren’t an issue in 3.0.51. We’ll get it sorted out.

Oct 7th: new version 3.0.53 released!

• Tracking fine-tuning, and tracking improvements noticeable on quiet/weak pickups (many older 13pin guitars).

(More information to follow)

9 Likes

Current HEX Limitations:

• The MIDI GUITAR 3 AU/VST plugin only use a single input channel, so use HEX standalone until we have a dedicated MIDI GUITAR 3 HEX plugin with 8 input channels.
  • Only standard tuning for now. Other tunings will be supported later.
  • String separation works via the STRING FILTER module, and each CHAIN becomes a group of strings where you can add different instruments. However, you cannot play different instruments inside a single VST/AU right now. This will be supported later.
  • Some pickups may be artificially muffled/lowpassed, in order for the traditional hardware boxes to better track pitches. But thats really a shame. HEX has not yet been tested with such muffled pickups.

How to run the HEX tracker:

• Settings => select tracker => MIDI GUITAR 3 HEX
  • Settings => audio devices => at the bottom of the channel selector, select (channel 1…8)
  • Play the strings and verify that they map correctly in the MG3 HEX module (they probably do).
  • Thats it. Everything else stay the same.
4 Likes

I left my GK5/GM800 in the garage and as I prefer the basic midi guitar 3, but time to bring it back… :laughing:

2 Likes

… And it’s not even Xmas! Thanks JamO!

1 Like

I am sure everyone will be perfectly fine without any visual cues, but if you want to see what it looks like, here you go:

Switching trackers
String separation filtering
and some more stuff

6 Likes

@LoFiLeiF

Great video! :grin: :+1: (As always)
Look forward to the more in-depth video. :pray:

I always thought mac users, unlike us windows users :dotted_line_face:, could combine multiple soundcards at once by creating an Aggregate Device? :wink:

Is that possible to do with the GP-10 and your Focusrite on mac?

@Jamo neither Boss GP-10 nor SY-1000 are class compliant USB devices so the hex feature would only work in the iOS version of MG3 with a soundcard with 8 inputs and this breakout cable: BREAKOUT CABLES

Ah ok! Good to know.

I must confess I got too tired, so the Windows version will have wait for tomorrow.

3 Likes

Haha take a longer break if you feel like it! :sweat_smile:

Seriously, I think we are all forever grateful for all the amazing accomplishments so far, so take your time no hurry! :wink:

Look forward to buying all types of licenses and even add-ons (like the Guitar MODS) to show support when the final products are out! :+1:

Well-deserved for all your hard work and probably countless sleepless nights.
:pray:

4 Likes

Again, what you are doing is amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

3 Likes

Yes, that is possible. It even works with just the GP-10 when used a main soundcard and (monitor) speakers are connected.

1 Like

It is possible to create an aggregate device from those two, but as of now the MG3 tracker doesn’t apprchiate that many inputs, and I haven’t found a way to order the aggregate’s input to satisfaction either. But it is indeed an interesting idea for getting past the switchin Audio interfaces. :grinning::+1:

1 Like

I might just look into getting a Macbook Air.

It would also be interesting to connect both a Macbook and an iPad to the Iconnectivity Audio4+ soundcard and then connect the GP-10 as an aggregate device.

I’m guessing this would maybe introduce some latency, I don’t know(?). But it would be a pretty nice mobile setup none the less. :slight_smile:

There is also a mac only program called Siderack by NovoNotes to use all iPad/iPhone plugins in a DAW on mac: SideRack - NovoNotes

Yes, I might just pick up a refurbished macbook (air or pro) with a m-series chip sooner or later. :wink:

1 Like

Great video! This is going to be a Blockbuster! :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

The Windows version is finally available.

4 Likes

Hi @JamO, thanks for the latest update.

Very excited about HEX but is there a page or more detailed information anywhere about the add-on HEX license required for this?

WOW this thing is fast and strummy. A tooth faster than GM800 midiout on its own possibly. Anybody tried to measure it?

3 Likes

Yes, I did.
I made a series of latency measurements with a common setup (48K & 128samples/s), same vsti instrument (Kontakt 8), or same type of sound for the GM800 (a piano). The goal here is to compare the latency between several MG3 modes and the GM-800, I wanted to be sure…

1- GK-5 → GM-800 → internal sound: 20ms
2- GK-5 → GM-800 Midi Out-> GigPerformer/Kontakt: 31ms
3- GK-5 → GM-800 → MG3Hex + Kontakt: 24ms
4- GK-5 → GM-800 → MG3Std + Kontakt: 37ms

The generation of midi notes by MG3-Hex (on a Macbook Pro M1) is faster than by the GM-800 hardware!!!
In this mode (hex), the tracking and the play feeling are just excellent!I
I highly recommend it to all GM-800, GP-10 or SY-1000 owners!

2 Likes

Thank you for testing it, Xtian! Very encouraging for me.

I had disabled the protection to install it.

So, to get the full license for MG3Hex, it will cost $149? Is the license available now?

I’m using MG3Hex with loopmidi into Ableton live, also in conjunction with Ableton MPE Control for adjusting the Pressure curve. Hard to believe that you have Poly-Pressure working. But you do! Pretty cool to see all the MPE messages in the midi monitor too! I think this is the first true MPE guitar pitch to midi converter. Amazing work!

Is Roland calling you up? If not, they should.

1 Like

Thank you for testing it. I saw your latency measurements, which are in line with Xtian’s numbers above, and my own tests, but on Windows, rather than Mac, so thats very encouraging! Btw. adding LoopMidi and a DAW will increase latency by around 5ms over just plugging in an instrument. So its even faster than you measured.

Yes, so there is full MPE, poly-pressure but also the 4th dimension brightness which gives you a lot of envelopes to play with and which can be combined in the MODULATORS module.

MG HEX requires the base MG license (150) + the HEX add-on license (150). Yes its available at Jam Origin Store. Thank you for your support :slight_smile:

1 Like